CPU help

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

CPU help

Post by Carcrazy »

Okay, the only CPU's I really know are socket 754's and 939's, but I need help finding a new CPU... I can find the motherboard on my own, but it has to be able to run DDR RAM, which meants a socket A is out of the question. I want it to be a Dual-Core with atleast 2.0GHz, and I mainly want this to be between 8--120 dollars... I can go higher but only if it is a REALLY good deal. I have no idea about Intel anymore, or what' sgood or bad and what's new or old... that's why I'm posting this... Thanks in advance! :P

EDIT: I found this one, I think I like it... people said it was easy to overclock, and one guy said he even pushed his to 3.4 GHz! Heck, I've never even held anything or seen anything that fast in real life before! :P

It is a little out of my budget, but a few 8 hour shifts at the Dairy Queen can help that... :?

Man, if I knew it was this easy to find the right parts I wouldn't have posted this... how about this motherboard?

CPU: Newegg
Motherboard: Newegg

What do you think? Is it worth $200? The MoBo can Runn DDR400, and can also run DDR2 566, so I can upgrade it later on... which is great because it's on my list of things to buy and I won't have to get a new MoBo for it! :P
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

that looks like a decent cpu im not a big fan of intel but it sounds decent
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Wow, so then My Specs would be about...

Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
1GB DDR400 RAM
160GB HDD
all that crap... and the new trick I have up my sleeve which I have only told one person about, let me just say... it is VERY origional! I can garuntee my computer will be one-of-a-kind after it! :P
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

Only thing I have to say is get better cooling if your going to overclock it up from 2GHz to 3GHz.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I'll look into it, any suggestions?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

i suggest not over clocking it. it can just lead to problems a dual core processor with 2.0 ghz will out perform a 3.0 ghz single processor
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

i know but I'm a power freak... wil my 7600GT be able to keep up?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

i dont know i would just leave things as they are then you dont need to worry about your cpu getting to 208F
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: CPU help

Post by PSZeTa »

Carcrazy wrote:I found this one, I think I like it... people said it was easy to overclock, and one guy said he even pushed his to 3.4 GHz! Heck, I've never even held anything or seen anything that fast in real life before! :P
Don't be so optimistic already. How well Core2Duos overclock varies a lot.
Carcrazy wrote:What do you think? Is it worth $200? The MoBo can Runn DDR400, and can also run DDR2 566, so I can upgrade it later on... which is great because it's on my list of things to buy and I won't have to get a new MoBo for it! :P
Read the reviews. It's MicroATX too.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

I guarantee you won't hit 3 GHz with that motherboard ... or even anywhere close to it ...

At least get the AsRock motherboard with DDR support ... Still not good, but a hell of a lot better than that piece of crap ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157107

Honestly, I don't know why you don't just save up for a couple months and get something worth buying. It seems like you make these kind of threads every 3-4 months, but you never end up listening to any of the advice given so please, please, please take our advice this time ...
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I kind of have to do it this time, my computer's dieing!!! :cry:

My HDD won't even boot up, I've spent the past 30 minutes trying to get it to boot... I'm gonna have to start backing it up to DVD-RW's and prepare to send it BACK to Hitachi AGAIN! SO If I'm gone for about a month that will by why... I'm tempted to make them give me my $120 back that I spent on it. Once I got it to boot, Vista couldn't even load my user... so I'm on a "Temporary User File."

I have to get a new CPU cuz this one is damaged by heat (Go figure...) and this MoBo is a cheap $30 one I bought just to be a make-shift untill now when I oculd get the money to upgrade it... I'm stuck In a wall and a hard place. Damn, I wish I had kept some of those old hard drives, but I put it in a client's PC who later turned out to be an Ass to me, my (X) friend who I even got in fights for when ppl picked on him... :?

Ingrate...

Anyway, I''m gonna wait till I get all these parts to put it back together again, so that meants the next time you see it (if the HDD breaks) is when it will be a totally different Beast! (And BTW both times I asked about Hard-ware support I did upgrade with some of your sugestions :wink: )
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

stop OCing and get a proper psu if you dont already have one..
no sense in breaking your hdds and cpu :?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

the HDD wasn't broken by overclocking, the CPU maybe, but it was a cheap one anyway...
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Jmac- wrote:I guarantee you won't hit 3 GHz with that motherboard ... or even anywhere close to it ...

At least get the AsRock motherboard with DDR support ... Still not good, but a hell of a lot better than that piece of crap ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157107

Honestly, I don't know why you don't just save up for a couple months and get something worth buying. It seems like you make these kind of threads every 3-4 months, but you never end up listening to any of the advice given so please, please, please take our advice this time ...
Wow i didn't know that motherboards with AGP AND PCI-E existed.
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

You wouldn't have to get a new CPU if you didn't do mindless overclocking. Because when you say you overclock, it makes it seem like your just doing it for the hell of it and then you complain when it overheats.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hey, this isn't the most powerful rig... I've been planning a (in what I consider) major upgrade for a while... I'm going from an outdated socket 754 AMD Sempron with a $30 Crap Mobo, to a C2D with (another) semi-crap Mobo, that's a HUGE power increase, and I might not overclock it, since it is alot more expensive than this one, and I don't want to void the warranty on it...
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

go with the c2d deal and the mobo look ok to me(im not a fan of abit or via) lol

I suggest you DONT overclock the cpu, if it runs fine then keep it. If need the extra speed the do so. I had corrupted my hdd twice from oc but thats my bad oc knowledge. Do what you want :D .
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oh... That may explain alot :roll: :lol:

My Overclocks are usually pretty stable... I think I'm running my 400 MHz overclock again, but I'm not quite sure... I'll have to look. :?
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

But you know as they said, it'll cause some major heat cause (if you didn't know) a OC on a single processor from 2 to 3GHz will leave it at 3GHz but with a C2D, if it's originally at 2.0GHz, it's really 4GHz in total cause of the other core so a OC to 3 GHz would make it 6GHz in total, which would be a bit too much if you don't have proper cooling
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Hardware & Software”