Need For Speed Undercover

2008 Need for Speed Undercover
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Re: Need For Speed Undercover

Post by t3ice »

Lol the game crashed for me 7 times at the exact same spot you mentioned. Every time i tried to autosculpt rims for my Lambo, it just kept crashing at the sliders, but it happened only when i selected one type of rim. As soon as a bought another and tried, it worked.. ;)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

t3ice wrote:Lol the game crashed for me 7 times at the exact same spot you mentioned. Every time i tried to autosculpt rims for my Lambo, it just kept crashing at the sliders, but it happened only when i selected one type of rim. As soon as a bought another and tried, it worked.. ;)
"Sell now, Patch later" -EA
korge
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

korge wrote:
t3ice wrote:Lol the game crashed for me 7 times at the exact same spot you mentioned. Every time i tried to autosculpt rims for my Lambo, it just kept crashing at the sliders, but it happened only when i selected one type of rim. As soon as a bought another and tried, it worked.. ;)
"Sell all you can, patch... what patch? nothing's wrong with the game!"
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

More like 'Sell now, patch whenever were done counting our money' :lol:

The career mode is defiately longer than carbon or MW. Its been about 27 hours since ive got the game, but i think it took me a good 9 - 15 hours to finish or less, i cant remember exactly. :)

Good game, definately a super sense of speed, but quite a few graphical bugs here and there, and some silly missions. :lol: Storyline is pretty convincing yet quite cheesy - definately fun.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

t3ice wrote:More like 'Sell now, patch whenever were done counting our money' :lol:

The career mode is defiately longer than carbon or MW. Its been about 27 hours since ive got the game, but i think it took me a good 9 - 15 hours to finish or less, i cant remember exactly. :)

Good game, definately a super sense of speed, but quite a few graphical bugs here and there, and some silly missions. :lol: Storyline is pretty convincing yet quite cheesy - definately fun.
so your final score for the game... everything added together is...?!?

i want to hear it more from someone who actually played through the whole game than a random reviewer who only played it for 30 mins and "found it boring so stopped"
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

zedex wrote:
korge wrote:
"Sell all you can, patch... what patch? nothing's wrong with the game!"
Do you not play a majority of EA published (read: rushed) games?

Not to mention I quoted t3ice's bug he found.

Do people not beta test games anymore? What gives? [-X
korge
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

i was being sarcastic...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I heard the biggest game saver (in terms of frames) is turning shadows off completely. I heard it even looks a bit better (cause the shadows "suck" to begin with). I cant imagine how but thats what I heard.

Anyone agree? Can someone post a before and after shot please?
zedex wrote:i was being sarcastic...
Oops. :lol:
korge
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

i was thinking of just doing that... BUT i haven't got the game yet so i can't tell you exactly how it is =b

but i will when i do =b and i'll also try to play around with the cache registry values to see if it does anything

my system specs:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 64-bit (? i think... i never know what my processor is.. >.< but it sucks) overclocked to ~2.2Ghz
4GB *duno type* RAM
ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB *this i know =b*
and windows Vista x64 with DX10
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

spike_minoda wrote:guys , this NFSUC is driving me nuts ! , it restart my PC everytime i go into autosculpt and do some crazy thing , not really crazy but just adjust the slider like left left right right ( to get the amount i wanted) , then the music stopped playing , then the game freeze , then my PC restart , i noticed this with autosculpt only , anyone else got the same problem ?
Are you serious? The game is causing blue screens. That's pretty catastrophic. What the hell kind of testing do they do?
vosszaa
Stock
Stock

Post by vosszaa »

Here's my pc spec running with Vista Ultimate SP1 64Bit

ImageImage

I turn every setting in the game to maximum and i have no crash, bsod, lagging or any sort of problem at all.
And here is my Veyron.. again :P

ImageImage

ImageImage

NOTE: I will post vdo of my veyron on youtube.(as soon as i finish editing it)
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

most important aspect that effects game framerates is the graphic card, which you forgot to mention lol

Anyway, i havent had any major glitches except for that autosculpt thingy :|
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Hey, can anyone with the PC version post a screenshot of the \*install directory*\Cars folder? I think EA's going to try to trick us with the carlist again, and there will probably be more cars than the ones announced already.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

RedCarDriver wrote:Hey, can anyone with the PC version post a screenshot of the \*install directory*\Cars folder? I think EA's going to try to trick us with the carlist again, and there will probably be more cars than the ones announced already.
http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 25#p348503

Nothing more than the Collector's Edition cars and one or two surprises.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

prince1142003 wrote:
2fast4all wrote:you mean x86?
Yeah. :oops:

Have you tried setting the Processor Affinity?

EDIT
Ummm, there's already a mod out for Undercover. Also, Arushan is back on the modding scene with his own website. Both the mod and the website can be seen here.

The mod removes the onscreen text during photomode. Useful.
Ive tried the Processor Affinity to 1, 2 still no go. Maybe I doesnt support quad core?!
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK. My stupid steering wheels were causing conflict or something.

prince1142003 thanks for your help, it works with all 4 cores now :)
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

i think so far i tried is the psp version that never crashes or anything happend. but sometimes u could go like join with the police car such that u are in the back of the police car and after a while it will poof out. kinda weird and also i just played 1 pursuit, there are barriers to the highway and i managed to go through the barrier i was like wtf because the highway is only open when u are challenging highway battles, and there are cinematic videos that are from the trailers and the normal game, and the good thing is that u can replay whenever u like at the ea media centre which is in the menu and the music too. So i think for the psp version is not bad i will give it about 7-8/10 for it? If only customization was better i will give it a 8-9/10
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

PSP games can't crash.. cause they aint a PC.. :lol:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I stopped playing NFSUC cause its just boring.. I'm however waiting for HEX editing or a trainer to make it fun. :lol:
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

So I decided to "get" NFS: UC to see if it's really that horrible.

First impressions? I was actually pleasantly surprised and I will write a quick mini review based on about 3 hours of gaming.

Graphics

First of all, what do I play my games on. I own a Sony FW140D laptop, so I wasn't expecting to be able to run much. I was afraid I would have to run the game on minimum just to be able to play it. Just so you have an idea of the specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 at 2.26 Ghz
- 3 GB of RAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 with 256 MB of dedicated vRAM

I am able to run the game with high world and car settings with smoke and shadows off, anostrophic texture filtering, no AA at a resolution of 1280x720 smoothly with fps ranging from mid 20s to low 30s. Not too shabby for a laptop. As you will be able to see from the pic, there are a lot of jaggies everywhere and it's a sacrifice I must make so the game runs smoothly.

The jaggies aren't the problem. There are other bigger problems with the engine. First of all, the game has major pop-in problems where building just pop out out of nowhere when you get close and it is really distracting. Secondly, when shadows are off, the tires have this weird glitch where at certain angles, they look white. If shadows are set to even low, the problems disappears but then gaming performance takes a hit and honestly, the shadows are just horrid and makes the gaming experience even worse. There are also problems with some opponent cars where they become disfigured (as in, the front bumper would float above the car, I wish I could have grabbed a screenshot).

Gameplay

I must say that in the first scene when running away from the cops in the 370Z, I had trouble controlling the car since I wasn't used to the handling but soon after, I learned and actually mastered the control. It's not as bad as people say (can't keep the car in a straight line? - definitely not too hard to do). Despite the handling being so arcadey, it actually makes the races fast-paced and fun. And speaking of fast-paced, the game feels fast. The sense of speed is there and is actually much better than previous NFS games. Cornering is very arcadey, especially since you don't even have to brake most of the time but the racing is actually fun. A big drawback is that all cars generally handle the same.

Police chases are also pretty decent but toned down from Most Wanted and not as epic, which kind of sucks. (Actually my bad, I was comparing low UC heat levels to high MW heat levels). The fact is that beginning chases are much more exciting than first MW chases. One thing that sucks is that Heat 1 police cars are the recycled models from MW.

Racing is fairly easy at the beginning and I expect it to get harder later on, so I can't really say anything about that. It also helps a lot to dominate the races to improve your "skills".

I really loved the highway battle mode. It's not new (first introduced in UG2) but the high traffic highways makes for some exciting and epic chases while you weave through traffic. The other racing modes are average and they're the same as previous NFS games, nothing special. Also, the tracks are below-average with nothing exciting or memorable about them. One thing I noticed is that the arrows are gone and now we have actual roadbarriers. That's fine, except for when you see traffic go through the cement barriers.

One really big drawback is that you can't turn on GPS and drive to the races. Everything is accessed through the menus which kind of defeats the purpose of the free roam. Free roam is usually used for cop chases and the outrun / highway battle challenges.

Sound

Sound was decent. There was some difference between car engines but nothing special. I still think UG2 had the best car engine sounds.

Story

Don't really care about the story. It seems like I was just thrown in and started racing. I play NFS games for the racing and the cars, not the story. Acting is "meh". Not really cheese but it's average. You want to see cheesy acting, watch C&C - Red Alert 3 cut scenes.

Other points

The game crashed on me once. Well, actually it froze and I had to close it using Task Manager. And surprise, it happened when I wanted to autosculpt a bodykit. I'll generally stay away from autosculpt so I don't run in those problems again. Though, after I got the Elise, autosculpting the rims worked perfectly fine.

For sure I might have forgotten something, so I will update the post once with new impressions later on.

Conclusion

The Good
- high-paced races and good sense of speed (most important thing in my opinion)
- good car lineup
- damage! Finally! (even though it's minimal and only visual, it's a nice addon I've been waiting since High Stakes)

The Bad
- glitchy game engine
- stuttering
- freezing
- easy races
- empty city (you'd think after UG2, EA would learn to make their cities more alive. For example, I don't know why but Hawaii in TDU felt more alive)
- no driving to races

Overall First Impression Score: 7/10

If EA can release a patch just to fix the freezing and some of the graphical glitches, the game may actually be more fun.

EDIT: After I submitted my post, one of the forum members informed me that Gamespot has put up their Xbox360 review of NFS: UC and they gave it a 70%. This is why I love Gamespot, they are usually very accurate with NFS games and I always agree with their points made.
Attachments
Racing on the wrong side of the road on the highway with the Elise.
Racing on the wrong side of the road on the highway with the Elise.
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

i think after reading most of the reviews.i think we should recommend ppl not to customize their car for the pc version as they tend to crash easily
zeqlon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zeqlon »

Well I got the game yesterday and I'm going to post a mini-review as well of my impressions so far.

Graphics:
I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 3 gigs of RAM and a 8800 GTS 512. After I turned shadows down from High to Medium (for some reason High shadows in every NFS game since Carbon have caused disproportionate performance drops for me) the framerate was ok. 1024*768, 2*AA, trilinear filtering, smoke on and everything on High except shadows and world detail (both on medium). Like 2furio, NFSPS plays smooth as silk on my rig; I can almost max out Crysis in 1024*768 (what can I say, 17" screen...). NFSU gives me in the range of 25-30 fps.

There are a few glitches: flickering shadows sometimes, popups. Part of it could be due to video drivers I should probably update. Nothing I couldn't live with and I didn't get any crashes yet.

The major problem for me is this: I find the game ugly. It's not the sometimes strange shadows, it's not the bloom and other after-effects - which I'm sure can be disabled from a .cfg file somewhere - it's just the overall aesthetic choices. In particular, I absolutely HATE the Carbon-like shininess of all the race cars (normal traffic seems not to shine as much). Gloss looks like metallic; metallic looks like chrome; chrome looks like you melted down a T-1000 and spray-painted your car with it. In Carbon I found it easier to live with because the game was dark. This one, however, is bright enough and I'm not enjoying getting my retina burned by my own car.

Gameplay:
These being the first races, I'm not surprised they're easy as pie. To be honest I don't mind it either - NFS games were never really about getting a real challenge for me. For the same reason, I don't mind arcade handling. I do think this game has taken it too far though: my Elise is literally stuck to the road. I'll take a 90° corner at 160 kph and the car will turn like it was on railtracks. It makes it worse that once you do lose grip, it handles like a soap bar in a bathtub. If I bump into traffic and hit a wall, no amount of countersteering will save me from losing control and facing in the wrong direction. Eh, maybe I just suck.

I like the added element of progression in the Wheelman Rep skills. I dunno, I like RPGs, this speaks to me :P.

I also don't mind the way you access the races. The way I see it, driving across town to get to the next race would have gotten on my nerves after a while. Here, I can do the races without interruption, and if I feel like a little free-roam, I can do just that too.

Race modes are nice but not anything to cheer about. I mean, it's a race game, there's only so many ways of making people run against other cars. On the other hand an open race to get from point A to point B without being restricted to a specific path would have been nice.

Customization:
I'm actually most disappointed at this part. First, I would have liked more tuning options, not less. I loved U2's dyno and fine-tuning options. The 5 current options (two of which are basically speed/accel, so essentially the same) are uninspiring. There's no way of actually testing your accel (in PS it at least told you your 0-60). I'll probably end up not tuning cars at all.

Visual customization is also problematic. I'm not talking about the design of the parts: I've only looked quickly at the Elise and while I'm not so excited by the bodykits, I'm not going to make a fuss about that (yet). However, I absolutely 100% despise the color wheel, which is way too sensitive and makes it virtually impossible to get the same color twice on the same car. In contrast, the autosculpt sliders are way too slow (it takes forever to go from 0 to 100%) and they don't update in real-time on the car model. You have to actually stop moving the slider to see the changes, no highlighted silhouette. If it's the same with vinyls, the showroom community is going to have a real blast...
spike_minoda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by spike_minoda »

i just realized something , all cars handle the same , except some of them are heavier or lighter, but still they handle the same , the closest thing can compare to the handling of cars in NFSUC is the famous FZR 2000 from NFS2SE :lol:
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

o well i played until the inspector lin (i not sure) met chau i think the inspector also part of the undercover either....

edit: it does really get tougher when u play further, i played until 3 Cop GTRs chasing after me and they just smash me off to the side of the road, reducing my speed from 200kmh to nearly 100kmh
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Even by the end of the game, some races remain pathetically easy, while the 'main' (circled on your map) races can be obnoxiously hard. The outrun is the easiest imo..once you have the lead, you can confuse the AI to death. But the highway battles can sometimes be hard, especially if you cant get infront of the AI in the first place. Also i have noticed that the traffic cars have high suicidal tendencies..so beware!
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

winning races... piece of cake...

dominating every single one... WOW it's hard... many races i had to restart 5 times just to get it under the dominating timelimit...

so i'm not aiming to win... it's too easy, i'm aiming to dominate every single one XD

and AI DO tend to block you! i was actually falling behind one of the races and they actually rammed me onto the side wall! and i hit it head on... which caused me a dead stop...

Return to “Undercover”