[ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ]

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: [ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ] turbo build starts pg.4 beware lotsa pics

Post by steelsnake00 »

Get a smaller, high-flowing main rad and dump a small SMIC next to it. Alternatively, get a smaller main rad and a little aux down in the wheel well or something.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Nah, I want a big radiator for the intercooler. Bigger the better.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Arguable. Bigger intercooler more important than bigger rad. Junk most of the rad, replace if with a equally-high-flowing, smaller one and get a decent SMIC. Sorted.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

No way, bigger radiator is more important. A side mount intercooler will not work well as a heat exchanger. With this my intake temps should be around 10c above ambient, all the time.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Radiator size is largely irrelavent, it's the efficiancy which is important. Regardless, are you going chargecooled rather than intercooled?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yes it's a water-to-air (aka chargecooler) setup. I want the water to be cooled down as fast as possible, hence my choice of a large but thin radiator. Flow of the water is also important to efficiency, so I bought a beefy pump that puts out 20 gallons per minute (at 0psi head loss).

Todays work:

Started stripping the engine.

It was reasonably clean inside, much to my pleasing.

Resisted the urge to take a photo of myself standing in the engine bay.

Parts . . .

. . . everywhere.

These pistons are going.

Sump off.

Bottom end stuff removed.

I love being organised :-$

Bare block, ready for the machine shop. I'll take it down there first thing tomorrow.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Nice.. =P~
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Oh man... I must do this someday.

Good stuff, busman.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Nice one mate,

starting to look like you are going somewhere.... well the car isn't going anywhere atm.... :lol:

I do hope give everything a good clean... makes it just that little bit better.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Thanks guys. The engine could be at the machine shop for up to two weeks, so in the meantime I'll get busy cleaning everything.

Gutted the TVIS plate, you can see all the bits on top of the vise there. Just need to fill the holes with epoxy or something.

Dropped the fuel tank to install my Walbro fuel pump.

I think it looks like a submarine.

The gaping fuel tank 'tunnel'. You can see coolant pipes running through here, two for the radiator and two for the heater core. The fifth pipe at the top is vacuum for the brake booster. I will run my heat exchanger piping on the other side, which is where the A/C pipes used to be.

Tank back in.

All the breather hoses and stuff were a bit of a nightmare. Good thing I had plenty of space with the engine missing.

The empty engine bay.

Hacked up the bodywork slightly so that my heat exchanger hoses will have room to pass through.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

boganbusman wrote: I think it looks like a submarine.
I lol'd.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Didn't get much done today, for some reason.

I did manage to rebuild the distributor though. Missed the part where I had to drill out the pin that holds the gear on the shaft. Big p.i.t.a. Now the cap is off and the shaft has just been removed.

As you can see here.

Used the hydraulic press to remove the bearing.

New bearing on.

All the bits ready to go back in.

And done. The gear now has a roll pin to hold it on, instead of a solid steel mutherfuccer. There was an o-ring left over, not sure what it's for lol.

Apart from that, I made a hole in the plate that goes between the engine and gearbox. This will allow me to put my starter motor on the other side of the gearbox. Hard to explain, will get pics tomorrow. Also I've nearly finished mounting the heat exchanger. It looks bit ghetto but there aren't many other ways to do it.

'Til tomorrow then . . .
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Found out what the spare o-ring is for. Apparently it goes in one of the green plugs.

This is that plate I was talking about. On the right side is where the original starter motor goes, and on the left is the new hole I cut. Now I need to block the other side somehow.

Removed the radiator and washed out all the dirt.

There was a bit of surface rust and flaky paint around the holes I drilled, so I roughed it back and sprayed some primer.

Then applied some dark blue paint on top. As it turns out, dark blue is not very dark ](*,) I think I'll just go over it in black.

Fabbed up a little mounting plate for my gauges. This is where the CD player used to live.

A quick mock-up to see how it will look. Don't worry I won't leave the plate painted orange.

And the other two gauge pods are mounted in front of the instrument cluster.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Why so many gagues? Surely at most you only need boost, oil pressure and oil temp, and perhaps voltage?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yeah I didn't want so many gauges, but they are all neccesary in some way.
Boost, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp (for the W2A system) and air/fuel ratio. Water temp would be the least important, but I just want it there out of curiosity. And I already have voltage on the stock instrument cluster. Actually it has oil pressure too, but I'm not going to rely on that.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Looks good. Who needs a CD player when you have the awesome soundtrack of a turbo'd 4A-GE behind you? Are you planning on filling in the empty space behind those gauges?

Also, why not take the piece you cut out from the plate and weld it in place of the old hole to close it off?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

There is some plastic trim that goes around the whole CD player/heater controls, and you can't see much of the hole once it clips back on. I might do something else to fill the gaps but we'll see how it goes.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Forgot AFR monitor. Then yes, all nessesary
xD4N73x
Ricer
Ricer

Post by xD4N73x »

An old car which, little by little, you are transforming into a race engine. I love how the front part of the engine looks after cleaning it. Keep this project on and gl.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

No much to show from yesterday, I was just cleaning and fixing up a few odds and ends.

Trying to wash my parts . . . Simple Green sucks. I tipped a gallon of kerosene in there and that helped. The intake manifold is completely chock full of black crap and I'm struggling to get it out. Currently soaking overnight.

Practicing using the pipe flaring tool. Getting a consistent flare is difficult, but I've got the hang of it now. Need to buy a decent pipe bender so I can start making the under-body water pipes. Also figured I will put the water pump in the front boot, where the A/C dryer used to go.

Sprayed over the horrible bright blue paint. Not that you will be able to see it anyway when the bumper goes back on . . .

Gauges all masked and primered, ready to paint (black). It didn't really turn out great but oh well. It's good enough.

Gauge mount all done.

I will cover the bottom part with some black cloth or felt, to hide the ugly bits.

Started the gauge wiring too, I'll have pics of that tomorrow.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Sand-blast the inside of the intake manifold. If your careful that will work.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I thought about sandblasting, but I would have to pay someone else to do it. More $$$
Soaking it last night didn't really help much though. Might try a stronger degreaser, but I'm worried about corroding the aluminium.
Anyway, I can worry about that later.

Opened up the thermostat housing and found that my thermostat is broken! lol I guess that's why it takes so long for my car to warm up.

The colossal mess that I have created.

And more.

My *beautiful* gauge wiring. All the power wires I needed were found in the stereo wiring harness which made things easy for me. Only one gauge actually needs power, the rest can be piggybacked in a daisy-chain sort of thing.

The sensor wires hanging out behind the dash. I'll run them up behind the glovebox and then down the left side of the car to the rear firewall.

Once the dash is screwed back on you won't be able to see any wires.

These will tuck in below the instrument cluster.

Hooked up the battery for a quick power-on test. Looks good!

First part of my water pipes. I decided to split each pipe into two sections intead of wrestling a 3m+ long pipe for each side. Yeh I know it looks like a mangled piece of crap at the moment, just wait 'til it goes on the car :P Fits like a glove. You can see my battery cable there too, another challenge for tomorrow.

Oh I also received a call form the machine shop today. Apparently two of the water jackets at the rear of the block are badly corroded, and there isn't enough flat area for the headgasket to seal on cylinder #4. They will have to weld the jackets and try to fill in some of the gap. Brilliant . . .
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Today I went down to the hose shop and ordered a whole bunch of fittings for my water pump, turbo, and fuel system.
Also visited my Toyota dealership and ordered some new steering rack parts. The first time I went there last week, they told me the parts were unavailable after I pointed them out on a diagram. So I looked on the net for part numbers and whaddya know, the parts I want are actually available. Retards.

I die-grinded an existing hole in the firewall to make it bigger (the right hole). Made my own grommet with a piece of hose and some silicon. You can see my new battery cable going through there.

Then the cable runs along the side and under the dash here. When the plastic goes back on you won't be able to see it at all.

And this is where the cable ends up in the front boot. I have a 100A circuit breaker in place, which is more convenient than having a fuse imo. Other side of the breaker will go to the battery, obviously.

Those two holes at the bottom are where the a/c lines used to run. I'll run the water pipes through here instead and mount the pump on the frame rail at the right.

Passing more wires through the grommet: battery cable, gauge wiring, ECU wiring and O2 sensor wiring.

This is the copper pipe I showed earlier. Cable-tied in place so you can see how it fits.

Also made the second part today, and this is where the two sections meet up. I will cut the left side shorter and use a rubber hose to join them.

The front section that protrudes into the boot. You can just see where it curves up, hard to take a picture of this.

Two pipes down, two to go.

Might have to tweak the bends a little bit, but it's pretty good.

When I removed the front boot carpet there was a lot of surface rust under there. One of the plugs that blocks those two big holes was missing, so that probably let moisture into the boot and voila, rust. Grinded it all back and sprayed some rust-kill paint.

The stock ECU goes in the rear boot (connects to those yellow plugs) and you can see the new ECU wiring on the left, which will get spliced into the stock wiring harness. Afterwards I will put the old ECU back in place and it will totally not be suspicious . . . :mrgreen:
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

It seems to be coming together nicely...

(not that I would know)
oh snap
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I haven't got a lot to show for the last few days. Most of my time has been spent doing wiring.

Like this ECU wiring.

The stock ECU is not really plugged in. There is tape over the top of the plugs.

Nothing to see here :mrgreen:

Finally got my battery relocation sorted out, although there is no hold-down bracket yet.

I've also ordered a dry-cell battery so I can get rid of this heavy lead-acid Exide.

Finally wokred out all the bends for my water pipes.

All that's left to do is cut them to the exact right lengths and flare the ends.

All ready and waiting for my water pump.

Various fittings for the water pump, turbo and fuel system. Doesn't look like much but these cost a f-cking fortune!

Some idiot filled his brand new Camry with diesel :lol: So we drained it out and I'm using the petrol/diesel mix to try and clean my manifold again.

Return to “Your Rides”