[ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ]

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: [ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ] turbo build starts pg.4 beware lotsa pics

Post by boganbusman »

Time for a long-overdue update.

I've worked out most of the bugs and the engine will now start, but my rpm signal keeps cutting out briefly every few seconds. No idea what causes this, possibly a bad ignitor.
A new ignitor is bloody expensive, and second hand is quite hard to find. Therefore, I'm going to rip out the stock ignition setup and go with the Ford EDIS4 coil system. This involes fitting a toothed trigger wheel to the crank pulley, along with a VR sensor to read off the trigger wheel. Then it's just a matter of wiring up the EDIS module and coilpack, and re-configuring the MegaSquirt circuitry.

Simple eh? Let's see how many new problems I can create now!
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

boganbusman wrote:Simple eh? Let's see how many new problems I can create now!
That sounds about right... Hope it goes well. Be sure to actually give us an update this time, eh? :P
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Finally, the beast comes aliveeeeee!!

The Ford EDIS system works like magic. I wired it up and the engine started first try! Runs perfectly.
All that's left is to sort out a minor oil leak and then I can get this heap to the exhaust shop 8)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Just a lil' update before the car finally goes to the exhaust shop on Tuesday . . .

For a while I've been having trouble with the Walbro 255lph fuel pump. It was very difficult to make it turn on, and doing so required switching the relay on and off hundreds of times until it would kick into life. I was thinking maybe the pump is no good (despite being brand new) or maybe there is junk inside my fuel tank that's blocking it up.

Turns out it was an electrical problem! The Walbro pump requires a good handful of amps to run properly, and I discovered that the stock pump wiring can't supply enough juice. So I routed power from a stronger 12v source and wired up a new, separate relay ciruit. And now it works perfect :)

So tempting to go drive it on the street but cops would hear me coming from miles away :lol:
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

When I was running the RS2-specced S2, I had a Walbro in that for a while, but had almost identical issues to you, with the pump cutting out intermittently when it was wired in on the standard pump circuit. Oddly enough, when I started pushing for more power (400bhp+) I junked it in favour of a Bosch 044 Motorsport pump which I got cheaper, flowed a higher rate and had none of the power issues of the Walbro.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Yeah, in hindsight I should have used a Bosch or Denso pump. I just figured Walbro was the way to go since they get mentioned a lot on forums and such. And it was fairly cheap.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Soooooo the car is still at the exhaust shop right now, and in my current state of boredom I went ahead and bought some coilovers on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

They are second-hand Bilstein EB9s, inverted strut design with rebound adjustment and Cusco top mounts.

Only problem is that they're SW20 struts, not AW11. It's easy to convert them, but I'll also need to get some more suitable springs and revalve the dampers. The end result will be totally worth it though 8)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ooh pwetty colours!
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Bilstein make, without a shadow of doubt, the best affordable dampers on the market. All the KW sets use inox coated Bilstein PSS-series dampers as their basis and KW make the springs- my V3's on the E46 M3 CSL used the PSS9 as the basis and they were utterly phenominal. Great buy.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I was also considering the KW V3s since they make a fitment for the SW20 and it's very well priced. However it hasn't got an inverted damper and that was a deal-breaker. Probably doesn't matter on an E46 but the inverted design makes a big difference on strut suspensions.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

As of yesterday the MR2 is finally on the road! It's not tuned yet but I've got it running well enough to drive around without the engine dying or misfiring like crazy. I've gone for a couple of drives so far, just going through break-in procedures.

There is a problem though . . . it's very, very f*cking loud! Not only the exhaust (which is just tolerable) but the BOV noise is insane. And my old-fart neighbours complained about it today, muttering something about EPA blah blah blah so I need to do something about that before I take it out again.

My BOV can be re-circulated but I don't think that will help much since I'm running a short intake with a pod filter. I was thinking more along the lines of a home-made muffler, like a padded cell that can be placed in the boot/trunk. Still thinking about it :-k
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

boganbusman wrote:As of yesterday the MR2 is finally on the road! It's not tuned yet but I've got it running well enough to drive around without the engine dying or misfiring like crazy. I've gone for a couple of drives so far, just going through break-in procedures.

There is a problem though . . . it's very, very f*cking loud! Not only the exhaust (which is just tolerable) but the BOV noise is insane. And my old-fart neighbours complained about it today, muttering something about EPA blah blah blah so I need to do something about that before I take it out again.

My BOV can be re-circulated but I don't think that will help much since I'm running a short intake with a pod filter. I was thinking more along the lines of a home-made muffler, like a padded cell that can be placed in the boot/trunk. Still thinking about it :-k
Are you running a MAF or MAP sensor setup? If your running MAF, then (presuming your running standard/piggybacked VEMS rather than a stand-alone unit) you should only ever run recirculating BOV's- the engine will run lean out every time the BOV opens as the ECU can't predict the rise in air pressure in time and so won't adjust the fueling accordingly.

I tried to remove the diverter system on my S2, but every time I built more than 1.8BAR boost the engine went into limp-home mode. I finally figured out that it was a combination of too much boost spike at high RPM and a dodgy MAF sensor. Cast WE manifold, new sensor and a refitted diverter system, and it was all good as gold and holding 2.1BAR at peak.

As for the noise issue, you could always disguise the sound of the BOV with something else- no-one will notice your BOV if you have a screamer pipe :D. Alternatively, drill your exhaust manifold before the turbo and fit a turbo air injector- map the ECU for anti-lag and away you go!

On a more serious note, have you though about running a diverter line down the length of the exhaust and vent it just before the muffler/silencer? EGT's shouldn't be too high that far along the exhaust system and so long as your O2 sensor isn't that far back (and your muffler flows well enough) it won't make any difference to performance.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I've completely ditched the standard L-Jetronic based system, so it's running a full standalone with MAP sensor.

Running the BOV into the exhaust is a very interesting idea! I would be worried about heat though. Since the car is mid-engined, the exhaust is not very long and it still gets kinda hot at the rear muffler. This is why I thought a padded muffler in the boot could work, but I've never heard of anyone doing this before.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

boganbusman wrote:I've completely ditched the standard L-Jetronic based system, so it's running a full standalone with MAP sensor.

Running the BOV into the exhaust is a very interesting idea! I would be worried about heat though. Since the car is mid-engined, the exhaust is not very long and it still gets kinda hot at the rear muffler. This is why I thought a padded muffler in the boot could work, but I've never heard of anyone doing this before.
A muffler for the DV/BOV is unnecessary weight IMHO, and still leaves you with exhaust gas (albeit compressed air) inside the car- you'd have to vent that somewhere too. As for the into-the-exhaust route, the heat issue shouldn't be too bad- using airtight braided stainless lines should (in theory) work reasonably well. I assume your running without a cat, which means EGT's would still be pretty high. That said, turbo air injectors and their hoses are subject to massive temperatures and hold up OK, I don't see any reason why that basic idea can't be bastardized in order to shift the air out after the turbo rather than before it.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: [ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ]

Post by boganbusman »

Wow, haven't posted in here for a while :shock:

Few days ago I took the car down to the race shop and had a half-cage installed. They also did the seat and harness mounting for me.

Having a bit of scaffolding in the car also has a nice side-effect of stiffening the body a bit. I can no longer hear any creaks or rattles when driving along bumpy roads. It's pretty awesome.

In other news, I have a J&S Safeguard knock sensor controller being shipped to me. It should allow me to safely run optimal timing maps and unlock a lot of power from the engine. Looking forward to that.

Also getting ready to install my new fender flares, wheels, tyres, and quick-ratio steering rack. Then I should be all set for a track day in October, as part of the 2011 MR2 Nationals. Fingers crossed that my car can make it there and back in one piece!
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

How much are you running now on the 4AGE? and what are the new plans?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

How much power? I think it's about 250hp at the wheels, with 20psi of boost. That's just a rough calculation from the 1/4 mile speed.
After I install the new J&S unit I will put it on the dyno and tune it properly, and then we'll see what power it really makes.

As for plans, there is not much left to do. After those few things that I wrote in the last post, the only other task is to finish the suspension. The dampers need to be rebuilt, and the setup needs to be fine-tuned a bit.

Then I can just enjoy driving it for a while :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

On the weekend (Oct 1st-3rd) I atttended the 3rd MR2 Nationals which were held up in the countryside in Bright, Victoria. It was the first club event or meet that I've ever been to, and I knew hardly anyone but all the other drivers were really friendly and I had a great time.

On the last day we went to the Winton Motor Raceway and we had the whole track booked out for ourselves. It's the most fun I've ever had, driving flat-out on a circuit is just awesome. I highly recommend it :D

I wasn't lugging a camera but plenty of others were, so here are some pics:

First day was pretty wet, but thankfully the rain eased off in the afternoon.

The black AW11 here is also turbo, the conversion was done soon after the car was bought back in '87! Pretty impressive.

From the second day, the weather cleared up and we went driving through the countryside around bright. Nice scenery.

We made a quick stop at some cheese factory, good opportunity for more photos.

Before the event, I didn't sleep for about 3 days whilst I was trying to get my car ready! I only got it done at the very last minute, and there wasn't even time to wash the car before I left. That explains why it's so dirty in all of these photos...

This is at the top of Mt. Buffalo.

The view from here is fantastic. The road leading up was great fun as well.

Getting settled in the pits at Winton.

Going through scrutineering. It was my first time at the track but they bumped me into the fast group anyway.

Ready to rock'n'roll.

This pale-blue SW20 turbo was built for track-only. It looks pretty serious, runs more power than me and has semi-slick tyres. I passed them a couple of times. LOLOLOL

Mental race car . . .

. . . is mental!

Still got too much body roll. I will use stiffer springs next time.

Suprisingly, I was the second fastest car on the track. The fastest was obviously the race car, and he was uberquick. No way I can compete with that, but maybe next time I will be closer :wink: Still got some more things to try on my car...

Safely back at home. I'm still trying to recover my lost sleep :cry:
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Nice story mate.

Looks like a great meet!
honke
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by honke »

Nice Story indeed.
Always fun doing things like this.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Oh wow, the new setup looks fantastic. When did you get the TE37Vs and overfenders? They go a long way toward making your car look unique.

Also, lol @ the thing about passing the "track only" SW20 :P

EDIT: Who makes the covered trunk on that SW20 race car? I haven't seen a part like that before.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I got the wheels and flares soon before the event. Driving on the way there was the first time they had been on the car.

btw they are replica TE37Vs, not real ones.

The fastback cover on the SW is custom made. It's a large piece of perspex (or something similar) with holes cut in it. Doen't look very neat when you see it up close but it works I guess.
I would love to make one for mine, but it's a lot of work and I wouldn't want to use it on the street.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Went to Phillip Island yesterday.
Tried out my new GoPro Hero2, worked well but the lighting isn't so good. Outside looks too bright. Oh well.

http://youtu.be/BXpUF_oat7U
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

boganbusman wrote:The fastback cover on the SW is custom made. It's a large piece of perspex (or something similar) with holes cut in it. Doen't look very neat when you see it up close but it works I guess.
I would love to make one for mine, but it's a lot of work and I wouldn't want to use it on the street.
I was hoping it was some kind of manufactured replacement trunk that only includes the outer frame and not the flat engine cover part, sort of like the Ferrari F40 trunk or something. (I'm creating an index of aftermarket body kits for various cars, including the SW20, and I was hoping it would lead me to discovering some new obscure SW20 tuning shop.) Ah well, it's still pretty cool.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

Sweet. MR2, i started reading on this page first, saw "4AGE" and thought you had an 86 lol. Sick MR2 though, my buddy might be getting one soon.
Instagram @SupraHKS

Return to “Your Rides”