What monitor do you have?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: What monitor do you have?

Post by vellu »

vellu wrote:
t3ice wrote:18 days..?! OMG i go crazy if my stuff dosent arrive in less than a week.. :-k Where is it being shipped from?
Not sure, but since it's a brand new model which is just coming to the market I was prepared for it to take a while. Plus I live way the heck up at the Artic Circle in Finland on-line shopping is the only way anyways... And the shipping time is atleast a week even if the product is immediately available (and in this case this particular display wasn't at the time I pre-ordered it)
Strike that, got a message today saying the monitor has arrived and is ready for pick-up. I guess I was talking to the wrong person when I asked for a new arrival estimate...

I'll post pics tomorrow (if I'm not busy doing something else...it being new years eve)
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Awesome, haven't used a 25.5" before, must be neat. :D

Is there any specific reason as to why you've got a big size?

Ooh..btw hows living in the Arctic circle, bet you could handle average snowstorms and wind here easily :P
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Haha, 'twould be nice to trade places for a week.

Average number of snowstorms here: 0 :lol:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

t3ice wrote:Awesome, haven't used a 25.5" before, must be neat. :D

Is there any specific reason as to why you've got a big size?
No particular reason other than the fact that some of the software I use (professionally) require as much desktop space as possible. A 24" would've had the same resolution no doubt, but since I got a really good offer for this one (only 399eur + delivery costs) there was really no reason to not go bigger.

The monitor I'm currently using is a 22" CRT, which not only takes a lot of room on my table also weighs a "ton" (28kg). Also the resolution it is capable of (1600x1200) is really the smallest I can reasonably tolerate. I really would need two displays but I don't have enough side ways space on my table... Or a 30" LCD which can do 2560x1600, but those are super expensive still (1400eur or more).
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Why not just try buying a TV with DVI/HDMI inputs? If you really want to go large, that's the cheapest way. They MAY not be as sharp as an actual Computer LCD, depending on the company, but it'd definitely be cheaper.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I don't need physically large. I need high resolution, which "el cheap" TV's don't offer. It would need to be FullHD and those aren't quite this (399) affordable yet.

Also, the physical size of a FullHD TV is too big. A 32" TV would propably not fit on my table anyway.

Ps. I already have 42" FullHD in my living room, which does indeed offer a really good desktop size/resolution via DVI/HDMI. But I really can't "work" there, no way would my kids leave me alone to work on the TV, when cartoons are on... ;)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Haha... back when we had 5 people living here (my brother and sister have moved out for college,) you used to never be able to watch the TV unless you got up really early, so I started playing on my old (Windows 95) computer. Now-adays, I'm so used to it I could stay in my room and never be bored, despite not having a TV with cable. (Computer, 360, PS2... etc.) :wink:

Although my mom does get kinda' ill that I'm up here so much now... :?
Besides that, I have the closest thing to Full HD in the house, which is, ironically, my monitor. It's really only 1050p, but it is 1080p capable, so I'm hoping I'll be able to run my 360 @ 1080p with no problems. Thanks to DHL going out (or nearly out) of business, Dell now uses UPS. Back when they used DHL my package would actually get here ahead of schedule (AKA tomorrow;) now it's not going to get here until Friday, a day behind.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

vellu wrote:
No particular reason other than the fact that some of the software I use (professionally) require as much desktop space as possible. A 24" would've had the same resolution no doubt, but since I got a really good offer for this one (only 399eur + delivery costs) there was really no reason to not go bigger.

The monitor I'm currently using is a 22" CRT, which not only takes a lot of room on my table also weighs a "ton" (28kg)
What software do you use..im just curious. Dont need to answer that if its private ..

22" CRT, wow, i used to have a 17" CRT which i thought was absurdly heavy and cumbersome. The LCD is definitely a huge upgrade in terms of convenience, but im not so sure on the quality.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Here it is. It's an insane blizzard here today, so I guess I won't go out to celebrate new year...

@t3ice

CAD-applications mostly, where you need to have lots of tool panels open (optimal would be two displays, one for the work area and the other for the tool panels, but as I said I can't really fit two panels on my table). The color quality is indeed far inferior to CRT but, I'm not too conserned about that.
Attachments
All set up.
All set up.
Some assembly required.
Some assembly required.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Nice Xmas tree you got there. :lol:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

taz947 wrote:Nice Xmas tree you got there. :lol:
The LED in it changes colors too :lol:

One of those USB toys you just can't have too many...
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Very nice man... it's got to be insane for games, if it's not just a work computer. :P

And a Blizzard? Lucky... :D
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

@vellu, n1 mate!!..fits perfectly on your table.. :)

I myself use a 22" acer, and thing get a little crowded up sometimes. Been thinking about getting exactly the same monitor and run dualies..

Carcrazy wrote:Very nice man... it's got to be insane for games, if it's not just a work computer. :P

And a Blizzard? Lucky... :D
How is a blizzard lucky in anyway foo.. :P

Anyways..this would be my dream setup :mrgreen:
Attachments
sea2w.jpg
a little dusy :o
a little dusy :o
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

t3ice wrote: How is a blizzard lucky in anyway foo.. :P
Because, we never get any decent snow down here... :(
t3ice wrote: Anyways..this would be my dream setup :mrgreen:
I really don't think I'd want to pay the bill for those... not to mention having to clean them. :shock:

I'm still hoping to buy another Dell like the one I have for duallies... two 22"s are just fine for me. :P
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

CAD-applications mostly, where you need to have lots of tool panels open (optimal would be two displays, one for the work area and the other for the tool panels, but as I said I can't really fit two panels on my table).
That is awesome! I don't think I can go back, as I have every photoshop toolbox and a file browser on my 17"... and the 22 for the image. It's so handy for media player, msn and file transfers too!
The color quality is indeed far inferior to CRT but, I'm not too conserned about that.
You can get better ones though + calibrate. Mine is decent, and it's just a hobby, not a career... and served well enough to do a DVD cover.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

baumaxx1 wrote:
The color quality is indeed far inferior to CRT but, I'm not too conserned about that.
You can get better ones though + calibrate. Mine is decent, and it's just a hobby, not a career... and served well enough to do a DVD cover.
You can indeed: S-IPS panels offer near CRT quality color (and viewing angles) but they also cost about twice as much as the generic TN panels. Also they are not as fast, IPS panels are usually in the 10-12 ms/gtg range, which is no problem for 2D applications but not so great for gaming.

And since I don't have to have "picture perfect" color, and I also play games, this was the obvious choice (size/quality/price compromise). And I'm not saying the colors are BAD, but just not the same as before. But hey, what can you expect when my previous one was a pro-level CRT (Viewsonic Graphic Series G220).

(http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Suppo ... /G220F.htm)
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

I just got my E2200HD today and I'm kinda pissed off. If I'm running it on 1920x1080, the colors are kinda flashing. If I set it on 1600x900 everything is fine. And I forgot to mention that when you're running on 1920x1080, you can't change the refresh rate. The biggest one is 60Hz, which I think causes this flashing thing.

Any of you guys encountered this?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

What gfx card? Atleast in ATI Catalyst settings there are two options for DVI (assuming you use DVI):

Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays
Alternate DVI operational mode

Both are off by default, but both are mentioned to possibly fix display corruption/flashing.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hmm. Can you answer this for me?

My monitor (1680x1050 native) will run 1080p just fine, but if you move up to 1080i it has this strange up-and-down slightly shaking kind of thing, with both my PC and my Xbox.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

vellu wrote:What gfx card? Atleast in ATI Catalyst settings there are two options for DVI (assuming you use DVI):

Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays
Alternate DVI operational mode

Both are off by default, but both are mentioned to possibly fix display corruption/flashing.

I have a 8500GT 512MB and I'm pretty sure it isn't its fault.

:-sAnd I turned on the PC today on 1920x1080 and there was no flashing. Dunno what caused that.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hmm... I just thought about it. Can you elaborate what you mean by 'flashing?'

It could be similar to what happens with me when I push my monitor to full HD. It's some weird shaking/flashing crap... hard to tell what it actually is, could be easily mistaken for either.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Yeah, you can actually see the image flashing and shaking.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hmm. My monitor can run 1920x1080 fine, as long as it's not interlaced, but seeing as 1080p is better in-sync with itself it normally gives a smother image anyway.

Try to find out if it's running in 1080i or 1080p...
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

I suppose it's running in 1080p since you can't have a bigger refresh rate than 60Hz.
And how can I change it to 1080i?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

In nTune you can set it up to run progressive or interlaced... it's, weird, I guess.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”