£800 performance bargain...

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

£800 performance bargain...

Post by steelsnake00 »

1996 Yamaha Thundercat.
£800 got me a pretty ropey, standard '96 Thundercat YZF-600R. Basically an early Yamaha YZF-R6 with a different name. Air-cooled I4 600cc,

Repairs-
-New rear swingarm
-New rear wheel
-New Öhlins front shocks
-New "double bubble" type screen (not yet fitted)
-Full set of filters, plugs and a good service

Upgrades-
-2001 R6 brake disks front/rear
-2001 R6 Brembo 4-piston calipers front/rear
-Braided hoses
-R6 Mocal oil cooler
-R6 exhaust (with homemade mounting bracket)
-R6 K&N Filter kit (with home-made butchered airbox to suit)

100hp at the crank as standard (perhaps a bit more, this particular bike dyno'd 89hp at the rear wheel), standing quarter mile in 11.5s and a top speed of 155- it might not be as powerful as the K1200RS, but it certainly shifts faster.
Shame about the weather recently. Still got the BMW as a daily ride, the Audi's running but I'm building a second motor from a scrap 1.9 TDi PD and the 2.0 manifold and AET-uprated turbo so it should be a simple case of bolting on the new mani, intercooler et cetera and away we go.

Toying with the idea of replacing both bikes with an '05 K1200R in powercup livery, like I'd originally ordered before the bike was written off on a test ride.

It many not be the most powerful naked bike in the world, but its certainly the fastest.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: £800 performance bargain...

Post by steelsnake00 »

I haz a replacement for my cheap performance bargain, as wel as some bits for it. Pics to follow, but it's one of these:
Triumph TT600
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project

Return to “Your Rides”