Nordschleife at night. Oh how I hate thee!

2011 SHIFT 2 Unleashed
Mythurin
Stock
Stock

Nordschleife at night. Oh how I hate thee!

Post by Mythurin »

So with the PSN being down for what seems like forever I am finally getting close to finishing. I have skipped all the Drift sections and gotten most of everything knocked out. Got into the GT3 section and realized a few days later that I had missed the Tommy Milner section where you can win the M3 GT ALMS car. This is the final section of the Endurance level.

After the 5 lap day portion run of the Ring things seemed good. I had picked up my beloved DBSR9 GT3 got some decent times. 7:10 was my best. The DBR's are not the fastest as most know but they sure handle well on most tracks with very little tweaking/setup. They were great cars in the 1st SHIFT and they are just as great here in SHIFT 2.

And then I realized that I had to do 5 laps at night on the Ring! At night! Are you crazy?!?! Sure I could handle 1 lap, but 5! Damn it!!?? Well I did it! But it was 5 seconds off my day runs. Anyway, I got some tips below...

#1 Your lights only see so far, and they are generally the only thing that lets you see the road. They can become damaged and you'll lose'em if you wack the walls or the AI too much. Ask me how I know.

#2 Your headlights suck and really don't see that far, if you can stay somewhere in the top of the pack say, 2nd or 3rd keep the other cars close. You can use their headlights when you are ahead for better visibility and they will tip you to the turns if you are following by using their tail lights.

#3 You really need to know the Ring if you want 250XP (not that it matters, by this point in the game you are already at level 20) for making a clean lap and I mean really know it. If you played thousands of hours on SHIFT 1 then you should be okay here. You should be able to do this in your sleep.

#4 Everything is 2x as fast as you think it was during the day. You are not really looking for lap times here, just beat them all to the finish. I darkened my living room and kept my eyes locked on my 52" HDTV for the ~37 minute gauntlet.

Thats about all I have for now. The Ring is truly a testament to drivers and their cars. But at night, its a totally different animal.

-J 8)
LITE992
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Nordschleife at night. Oh how I hate thee!

Post by LITE992 »

I'd also recommend practicing on the track beforehand and tuning. Using the Best Line can also help greatly with night race. I've only done this for Endurance races and I got easy wins even on Hard.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

After racing at Nordschleife for 2 hours straight on a true simulator, 5 laps at night in SHIFT 2 will be a piece of cake. :P

And it wasn't a normal race, it was a championship race online, so there was no restart and no AI. Real drivers, really fast cars (WTCC Extreme) and no mistakes allowed. Quite a few quitted after crashing...

Hehe, I don't mean to pick on you, the tips are welcome, but 5 laps (37 minutes) is not endurance, just a quick sprint. :)
firespiting_baby
Ricer
Ricer

Post by firespiting_baby »

i just turned the brightness up to 100% on my tv lol i could see almost as well as a daytime race :)
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

I dont know if AI behaves better in Career than in Quick Race, but if its the same then 1 lap should be about enough to overtake most opponents on Hard.

I tested that at Night, obviously. Using my favorite RX-7.
Mythurin
Stock
Stock

Post by Mythurin »

hhhmmm, well I guess I just suck then.

-J
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Nord at night is a bit harder and the AI on Career is markedly different to quick race. A modded car = win in quick race, whereas in career the opponent car selection is a lot better and can give challenges.

I wish I had a wheel and pedals to be able to use part throttle and varied braking (with pedal feedback would be even better!!) as currently the xbox pad triggers are just not quite up to the challenge.
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

i wish this games physics were a little bit tighter. it would make this game better. its a good game and all but the cars feel out of control sometimes, especially gt3 cars
Instagram @SupraHKS
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Well, that be not da case any more arrrrgghh!

Err well less of the pirate.

Basically there is a simple art to GT3 and GT1. It's called Tuning. Unfortunately the out of the box tuning for the cars is woeful at best and downright SHIFT at worst (see what I did there :D ).

First thing knock off the rear camber until it's about a quarter in from the left side of the slider. Front camber can be knocked down a bit if you are finding it a bit of a handful on straights. Drop tire pressures from the stock F/50 R/50 to F/34 R/32 (plus or minus 1 or 2 PSi depending on personal feel).

That alone fixes 90% of SHIFT 2's stock handling issues. The rest is setting the spring rates to be stiffer with front stiffer than rear by 1 notch, however this is far more car/upgrade dependant so it needs to be worked out on an individual basis. Though a good rule of thumb is F/4 and R/3 with sway bars about F/5 and R/3. Damping I've had good results with all Fast set to 3 with all Slow set to 2.

That should get any car off to a fighting start :)
Zotic+
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Southern California in the desert where it gets 130 degrees

Post by Zotic+ »

yea i just drove my gt3 cars right out of the box, without any tuning, but i just beat the works championship so i went straight to gt1. i also notice that when i first started, i went straight to the drift events and beat all of those so those ranked me quite quickly. so i went straight to gt3. now i notice that if i just build up from all of the normal races, that i got used to the physics and it wasnt even a problem.
Instagram @SupraHKS

Return to “SHIFT 2 Unleashed”