How to disable Catch Up AI cheating?

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
j7n
Ricer
Ricer

How to disable Catch Up AI cheating?

Post by j7n »

Hello forum.

I have beaten Underground 2 again last week, and one aspect of the game has been bothering me throughout it from the first levels: no matter how I drive, AI opponents are always clustered together behind me. I'm going at above 300 kph, in the 6th gear, with nitrous the engine is redlining and refuses to go any faster, but the AI still slowly closes up on me, and after the straight they're behind me. Or the other case, an AI opponent crashed under the highway coming from Beacon Hill towards my Garage, and he reset himself on the other side of the circuit race in the hills, 28 or something seconds in front of me. I spun out when I got distracted by the number, but still caught up with him and finished first, but at no margin. What the hell?

I feel that I am always being pushed to drive faster above what I am able to, because of the Reputation requirement, and go bouncing from wall to wall (ugly), and I can't feel the sections that I have driven well and repeat them. There is no point to drive any laps apart from the last one, because any time gained in them is nullified, and the winner is decided by chance. In the last race agaisnt the boss I got the feeling that he "let me" stay ahead...

During URL races usually a couple opponents start to somewhat faster in the last lap, and become challenging, and that's alright. One could assume that they have nitrous and the others wasted them.

I tried Quick Race for the first time, with the option to turn off Catch Up, and it was as it should have been. AI cars stayed apart from each other, and I could gain time as a reward for not crashing or eating wall. When I searched the web, I found this neat solution for Most Wanted.

TL;DR the rant: Is there a way to disable AI Catch Up cheating in Underground 2 career, preferably by hex editing, for another replay at a later time?
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: How to disable Catch Up AI cheating?

Post by Hydro_PT »

I'm not sure if it is possible. The AI catch up thing in racing games is very annoying when it doesn't work right. When it does work, I think it is a good feature, because every type of driver will have proper opponents. But when they drive way too fast or way too slow, it ruins the game.

I don't know if you have tried to search for that? Maybe editing the AI code is possible, but it might "kill" the game, that is, opponents just crashing everywhere or standing still.
j7n
Ricer
Ricer

Re: How to disable Catch Up AI cheating?

Post by j7n »

Thank you for your reply. I'll keep looking. I figured somebody may have already discovered the AI format.

Maybe one of the intentions of the authors with this Catch Up function was to push for ever more speed, so that their game could be reviewed as having the fastest races on the market.

After the game is won, it is possible to enter SUV races with a maxed out normal car. And in this mode the SUVs are still no more than 10-15 seconds behind, and have gained an equal acceleration to the fast car. =D>

Sports Car GT was a good game. The manual states that there is a "speed compensation" function, which cannot be turned off while in career mode. But I have not felt its presence. In favorable conditions and given enough laps, driver #2 can still be overtaken from behind. Maybe, maybe, it is a little easier for the player to get in the first place from behind.
satriasoneete
Stock
Stock

How to disable Catch Up AI cheating

Post by satriasoneete »

hello all,
i have a question,you know in status page of udpxy ,it is possible to reset udpxy that may make problem.
my question :is it possible to disable status page without recompiling the pakage?
thanks

Return to “Underground 2”