Denglish

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
NFS_Lightning
Ricer
Ricer

Denglish

Post by NFS_Lightning »

Denglish | German | English

---------------------

It's me sausage. | Es ist mir Wurst. | I don't give a damn.

It's opensightly that I one on the wafer have. | Es ist offensichtlich, dass ich einen an der Waffel habe. | It's obvious that I'm pretty stupid.

It gives informations. | Es gibt Informationen. | There are information.

If you think you can beat me over the ear, you are heavy on the woodway. | Wenn du glaubst, du kannst mich über's Ohr hauen, dann bist du schwer auf dem Holzweg. | If you think you can shortchange me, you bark up the wrong tree.

I stand with him on warfoot. | Ich stehe mit ihm auf Kriegsfuß. | I'm at daggers drawn with him.

Can I become my Bratwurst? | Kann ich meine Bratwurst bekommen? | Can I get my Bratwurst?

I enjoy me like a schnitzel. | Ich freue mich wie ein Schnitzel. | I'm thrilled to bits.

That's nonsense with sauce. | Das ist Quatsch mit Soße. | That's bollocks!

He made him me nothing you nothing out of the dust. | Er machte sich mir nichts dir nichts aus dem Staub. | He absconded just like that.

The police has me hemopped. | Die Polizei hat mich erwischt. | The police has caught me. (erwischt: er = he; wischt (3rd person of wischen) = mop (infinitive))

There gets the dog crazy in the pan. | Da wird der Hund in der Pfanne verrückt. | Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I have a meatball on the cheek. | Ich habe einen Klops an der Backe. | I'm not all there.

Do you have an egg on the head? | Hast du ein Ei auf dem Kopf? | Are you bonkers?

I bird my girlfriend. | Ich vögel' meine Freundin. | I root my girlfriend.

My english is not the yellow from the egg. | Mein Englisch ist nicht das Gelbe vom Ei. | My English isn't exactly brilliant.

Here is really dead trouser. | Hier ist wirklich tote Hose. | It's dead boring here.

--------------

If you are wondering what this post means: In Germany those weird sentences are called "Denglish". They are a mix of English and German. For usual, german idioms are translated word by word into English, so the sentences are really weird, so you will not understand most of these sentences. That's why I also noticed the english translations in addition to the german translations. :)
speedsmith
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Denglish

Post by speedsmith »

haha- I spent in a year in München and I think it isnt so bad there, but definitely in places like Berlin. But I think there is two kinds of Denglish - the one above, essentially bad english from German translation. Then there is the willing incorporation of english words into the German language, like 'online' and 'shiznit.' This article here explains it. And that is definitely more common in the young.
fantasticmrfox
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Denglish

Post by fantasticmrfox »

Haha, these were pretty good! I spent some time in Berlin, so I'd love to come back to use these one day :)

Return to “General Discussion”