New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Re: New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Post by t3ice »

Haz..ima KILL U NOW!!! ](*,) ..

Damn i had to postpone the testdrive until later due to /x/ reasons :|
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

If you have trouble engaging first (or any other gear for that matter), or if it shows any other signs of crank walk, such as irregular idle, rattle/clicking/ticking noise when clutch is engaged, lost of clutch peddle pressure, loss of engine responsiveness. It can cause all manner of problems, and an engine with crank walk is a rebuild job at least, and a scrap job at worst.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

hmm...i suspect it had the crankwalk issue before and thus he changed the engine and tranny, but is the crankwalk issue possible on automatic transmissions in the first place?

Also, in terms of reliability, how do Mitsubishi cars fare?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

t3ice wrote:Also, in terms of reliability, how do Mitsubishi cars fare?
Not as good as the other Japanese makers imo, but overall they are not too bad.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

As bogan said, not great as far as Japanese cars go, but still better than GM. :U
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Well, i went over to the dealership today to test drive it, but then we found a huge puncture in the right rear tyre, so its been postponed to monday... i did drive the car around the parking lot and didnt find thing unusual with the engine.

But in any case, im taking it over to the mechanic after i test drive it just to make sure.. :)

Anyways, i thought i would take some pics but my cell kept dying..Here's what im looking at though.

Image Image
Cipher
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Cipher »

DSM crankwalk FTL
=(
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Okay, with my working season starting soon (soon as in as soon as I buy my new cell phone,) it's time for me to find out what I need to save by the end of the year. I'm looking to come up with three possibilities (beyond the GTI MKV,) that I can find for, at a max of, around 18,000 absolute tops.

I've got 10,000 that I'm allowed to take out of my college funds, and if I can reach 5,000 of my own money saved they'll throw in an extra two or three thousand (in case I want my GTI.)

So, here's my parents requirements:
4 door Sedan/Saloon
Preferably 4 cylinder
Nothing too flashy/fast
No convertibles
Power Options
Anti-Lock Brakes
Traction Control (requested, but I can probably sneak by without,)
Air Bags (obviously)
Good to great safety ratings
I'd say a 60,000 mile absolute limit on entire vehicle

My requests:
Min. of 150hp w/ decent torque (Want more around 200hp/200+ft. lb. torque)
Nice looking/tuning possibilities for the future
Manual 5 or 6spd gearbox
A decent looking, fairly simple interior (Sorry Mitsubishi... rofl)
Decent HWY fuel mileage (I have to drive AT LEAST 60 miles a day, to and from school.)

Pretty much just something that looks nice, has a decent engine to begin with, and is safe/reliable/efficient, that I can take to a track every now and again and not have to be embarrassed about it.
I know it's a lot, especially for a first car, but it's supposed to last 7-8+ years. (Until I [probably] go into the Air Force, after i get my Masters in Computer Programming, presuming I don't change my mind.)

--------------------------------------

My already thought of options:
#1: VW GTI MKV 6spd Manual (2 Door) - If I can earn the money, I think they'd let me get it. The problem is I really don't like the 4 door model, so I'm keeping my eyes open for capable sedans.
Example

#2: 2004-2007 Subaru WRX w/ 5spd Manual - All around great car. Great looking, great performing, greatly reliable from what I hear. Probably a very possible purchase.
Example

#3: Maybe an old Mitsubishi Lancer OZ-Rally Edition? - It fits my parent's requirements (not sure about safety,) and I like it. I'm not sure how crazy I would get about it, but I could probably get one for around 10k, which would leave me plenty of money to make up for it.
Example

#4: 1999 Nissan Maxima 2. 5spd Manual - My sister had a 1994, and I used to love riding (and maybe a bit of backroad driving,) in it. Fit's their requirements, and Lord knows I'd love one. Hard to find one with low miles, though.
(Quick) Example, but with Automatic transmission and tan interior. (I'd look for black.)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Late model Honda Civic or Accord.

Before you laugh, I think it will fit all of your requirements very well. It's inexpensive, safe, reliable, efficient, has all those options you want, looks sharp but not flashy, there are a million-billion aftermarket parts available, and you can easily make them into a formidable track weapon. You could make it a race car underneath and your folks would never know (not saying you should do that though).

Personally, there are pretty much no other FWD 4-door cars that I would want to buy.

Apart from that, WRXs are fairly nice, but it's not worth getting anything less than the STi. The normal Rex just doesn't go as hard and won't put up with abuse.
topsy kret1
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by topsy kret1 »

you have a very nice logic that makes a lot of sense. why not use a 2-door coupe or hatchback? less weight means more speed. although you could remove or use the back seats for nos...in any case, i still agree with your logic and overall idea.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

"Remove the back seats for nos"
Fail. Remove the back seats for a roll-cage. Or for a mid-mounted engine conversion. Or so you can put a radiator in the boot. Nitrous oxide is for posers.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

steelsnake00 wrote:Nitrous oxide is for posers.
I agree that ripping out your back seats just to fit nawszz is pretty lame, but it's still an effective way to add power (for drag cars anyway).
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

boganbusman wrote:I agree that ripping out your back seats just to fit nawszz is pretty lame, but it's still an effective way to add power (for drag cars anyway).
It's pointless for road car use, its a nightmare to set up properly and most of the time it accelerates engine wear at an unacceptable rate. People say that it's the most cost-effective way of adding extra power, but in the long run it's a poor investment compared to forced induction or individual throttle bodies.

Me? I just think it's for people who aren't committed enough to do other engine work, and want to shout about horsepower figures and pretend to be knowledgable.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

The only time I would use NOS for would be if I got in trouble on a street... if you get what I mean.

@Boganbusman: I've been looking at some Civics, although I really think I only like the 2dr versions as well. :?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

What happened to your Porsches and Lancer Evos? :P
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

here are my suggestions:

Lexus GS300/400
Acura TL Type-S
2006 Honda Civic Si Mugen Edition
Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V
Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

as for the cars you suggested:
GTI - fairly decent car can make 450hp
WRX - A Dont get if going for a Subaru get an STi
Lancer OZ-Rally - Junk sells for around 6K and cant make power
Maxima - Alright and its possible to swap in a Pulsar GTi-R SR20
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Getting a Golf GTi to make 450bhp is bloody hard. Not to mention expensive
WRX can be STI-specced quite reasonably; a lot cheaper than fiddling a Golf.
Engine swaps are a little beyond his means I think...No offense.

The current generation Civic is boring as bat sh*t, even in Type R version, so I'd forget the Mugen idea.
The TL looks good, but if you're going to spend that much on a glorified Honda, then why not just buy something faster and German and be done with it?
Lexus GS are extremely expensive to maintain, pretty old and very, very dull.
The Sentra SER Spec-V suffers from a number of problems, including eating its throttle butterflies (complete engine rebuild), the pre-cat disintergrating and being ingested due to the lack of EGR valve (engine rebuild)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

steelsnake00 wrote:WRX can be STI-specced quite reasonably; a lot cheaper than fiddling a Golf.
I dunno about that. The STi is beefed up all over the place, including the gearbox.
steelsnake00 wrote:The current generation Civic is boring as bat sh*t, even in Type R version, so I'd forget the Mugen idea.
Just so you know, the Civics they build/sell in the UK are not the same ones they sell in some other parts of the world. To be honest I don't know which version they get in the US, but I'm thinking of this model (closest to camera):

And the "late model Accord" I'm thinking of looks similar to that.
steelsnake00 wrote:Lexus GS are extremely expensive to maintain, pretty old and very, very dull.
All luxury cars are expensive to maintain, and if anything the Lexus would be cheaper to run than a German equivalent.
steelsnake00 wrote:The Sentra SER Spec-V suffers from a number of problems, including eating its throttle butterflies (complete engine rebuild), the pre-cat disintergrating and being ingested due to the lack of EGR valve (engine rebuild)
Oh come on, it's extremely easy to fix both of those issues: Loctite the screws on the butterfly, remove/gut the precat.
However there are other reasons why he shouldn't buy a Sentra :lol:
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Nah, we definitely don't get that beauty in the states. So jealous... Those headlights are so much sexier. The coolest Civic we get over here is the Mugen Si.

And why does it have to be an STI? I'd settle for a WRX any day if mommy said I couldn't have a race car. Besides, would you trust Carcrazy behind the wheel of a 300hp car? :P Keep in mind it's his first car.

My roommate's MY05 was awesome. Plenty of aftermarket options, all the fun of a turbo, one of the coolest sounds on the road, very sporty and fun to drive, and you certainly wouldn't have to worry about being embarrassed taking that to the track. And bogan may say that car can't take much abuse, but we drove the shiz out of that car just about every weekend and never had any problems... That is until my roommate drove it into a telephone pole. :cry: Also, that car scared me the first few times I drove it... It has plenty of power to keep you satisfied for quite a while.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me... I can't wait for Honda month on Speedhunters! Anyone know when that is? They mentioned it, but I don't think they ever said what month. [-o< Please be March.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Zero260 wrote:Nah, we definitely don't get that beauty in the states. So jealous... Those headlights are so much sexier. The coolest Civic we get over here is the Mugen Si.
Don't worry about the headlights, I'm reffering to the Euro Civic which is completley different to the one you posted.
That Mugen Civic is the same as the JDM model, which is good.
Zero260 wrote:And bogan may say that car can't take much abuse, but we drove the shiz out of that car just about every weekend and never had any problems...
Perhaps I didn't word it very well, but the STi is most certainly tougher (and faster) than the standard WRX. I just don't understand why you would buy the normal Rex when you know the STi is better in every way.

btw I think Honda month is next month. I can't wait tor the AW11 feature they are doing for Toyota month though :D
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

The Mugen looks so much similar to the Civic Type R (Japan spec), which I think, looks pretty wild for a Civic. :P
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

boganbusman wrote: Don't worry about the headlights, I'm reffering to the Euro Civic which is completley different to the one you posted.
That Mugen Civic is the same as the JDM model, which is good.
Oh, I see what you meant. For some reason I thought you were unsure if the one pictured was available in the U.S.
boganbusman wrote: Perhaps I didn't word it very well, but the STi is most certainly tougher (and faster) than the standard WRX. I just don't understand why you would buy the normal Rex when you know the STi is better in every way.
Well there's probably a good $8-10,000 difference. And Carcrazy's situation is a good example... I say with those requirements, if he could get away with a WRX, that would be ideal.
boganbusman wrote: btw I think Honda month is next month. I can't wait tor the AW11 feature they are doing for Toyota month though :D
Niiice. Yeah, they've been putting out some cool posts for Toyota month. I'll keep an eye out for that AW11.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Zero260 wrote:For some reason I thought you were unsure if the one pictured was available in the U.S.
Well yeah, I didn't know whether the US gets the JDM or Euro model. That''s all.

We get both over here.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

steelsnake00 wrote:Getting a Golf GTi to make 450bhp is bloody hard. Not to mention expensive
Why would anyone want to get 450bhp out of a FWD car? unless you love torque streer and burning rubber :wink:
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

TheStig wrote:
steelsnake00 wrote:Getting a Golf GTi to make 450bhp is bloody hard. Not to mention expensive
Why would anyone want to get 450bhp out of a FWD car? unless you love torque streer and burning rubber :wink:
i take it youve never heard of the R GTi
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/featu ... _rgti.html

Return to “The Cars”