New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: New car?, want more performance or Looks? Come here and ask!

Post by steelsnake00 »

viper16 wrote:i take it youve never heard of the R GTi
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/featu ... _rgti.html
Which cost something like $100k to build :roll:
Seriously, 450bhp and FWD is bad, mmk?
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Is FWD that bad? I thought FWD cars are pretty smooth to ride in. :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

FWD is not that bad at all, it's just not recommended to put a ridiculous amount of power through only the front wheels.
Some crazy people do it anyway.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Rofl... R GTi. That was made for the old Tuner Challenge thing in 2006. -.-*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

A GTI is a nice car, and FWD cars in can be nice to drive and the GTI is one of them but you don't want to put in massive amounts of power around 200 is nice, that's why I choose the Type-R it got plenty of power but it can handle it without a problem, I guess if I slap on a big turbo I could get a lot more power but I doubt I will be able to get around the corner and accelerate at the same time.

Talking about FWD cars with big power.... anyone seen the new Ford Focus RS
300hp at the front wheels, it looks pretty cool
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

That's what I liked about the GTI. Looks good, it's German - so that alone can speak in terms of quality, unlike other V-Dub's it's actually made in Germany still, has great features, and great power output with a terrific torque curve. If you look at the specs it gets about 207ft/lb @ 1800 RPM I think? I mean that mother has to fly... for a FWD.

To make it race worthy wouldn't even take much... nothing more than to chip it, and put a full air system (intake/exhaust) on it. From what I hear it doesn't even sound ricey with 3" pipes.

(I'm of course talking about the MKV, as I find the MKiV repulsive... ) :lol:
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

If you're going to track anything, make brakes and suspension your priorities. Power can wait.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Brakes yes, suspension may be a little up there...

Anyway, I need some more options to look at so I know what I'm even trying to run, rofl.

The Accord seems nice - the 4 cylinder version seems a little underpowered, but I could probably talk my way into a V6. (That CF interior is niiice.) :P

So, any more (practical) ideas?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Miata.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy wrote:The Accord seems nice - the 4 cylinder version seems a little underpowered, but I could probably talk my way into a V6. (That CF interior is niiice.) :P
I'd go for the 4cyl. Cheaper, economical, less weight, and it's much easier to work on/modify/turbo.

And yes, brakes are one of the most important things to take care of before you hit the track: good pads and fresh brake fluid. The other most important thing is good tyres.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Miata.
I actually thought about it... then I remembered I'm a heterosexual on the High School football team.
I may not drink or smoke, but there are some things that peer pressure are good for... :lol:
boganbusman wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:The Accord seems nice - the 4 cylinder version seems a little underpowered, but I could probably talk my way into a V6. (That CF interior is niiice.) :P
I'd go for the 4cyl. Cheaper, economical, less weight, and it's much easier to work on/modify/turbo.

And yes, brakes are one of the most important things to take care of before you hit the track: good pads and fresh brake fluid. The other most important thing is good tyres.
Very vaild point. It will probably come down to parent's opinions and cars/funds available come the end of the year. (I'm not getting my license until almost a month after my birthday, and when the new cars start coming out this fall, my money will already be unfrozen, with most of my *personal* funds already raised - so I'll probably look for a car before my birthday. This also helps assure I can find a GTI with what I want if I decide I want one THAT much.)

But still, coming back to the accord, I am a sucker for CF on an interior. 250hp doesn't hurt, either. :mrgreen:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Carcrazy wrote:
xHaZxMaTx wrote:Miata.
I actually thought about it... then I remembered I'm a heterosexual on the High School football team.
I may not drink or smoke, but there are some things that peer pressure are good for... :lol:
Are you suggesting Miata drivers are either gays, chicks or metrosexual guys?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Stereotyping much? Or has Haz came out of the closet? :P
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Andre_online wrote:Stereotyping much? Or has Haz came out of the closet? :P
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... (etc.)

Rofl, no, but seriously... what would your reaction be to a football player owning a Miata, seriously.

Anyway, to break away from sounding like such a conformist, can anyone comment on the GTI's DSG vs 6-speed stick?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy wrote:Anyway, to break away from sounding like such a conformist, can anyone comment on the GTI's DSG vs 6-speed stick?
The DSG is much faster, but also much more gay :P
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I love them DSG! When I found out how it works exactly, my jaw literally dropped. :P
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

boganbusman wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:Anyway, to break away from sounding like such a conformist, can anyone comment on the GTI's DSG vs 6-speed stick?
The DSG is much faster, but also much more gay :P
\o/

The DSG is basically the same as every other semi-manual transmission, ja? If so, I'm gonna have to agree with bogan (and I should know what's gay, driving a Miata, right? :P). I don't know what you prefer, but I'd rather drive the car, rather than have it drive itself for me, if you get what I mean. ;)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The DSG box is quick, but heavy, takes some of the fun out of driving, and can't handle much more than about 350lb ft. All those who mod the Mk5 tend to avoid it for this reason.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Quick? Na... 8ms shift time isn't quick. Any *human* can do that...
[/sarcasm]

I still think I'd rather have the normal 6-six speed. Although, at least I won't have to get ripped off if I'm forced to buy the manual version.
viper16
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper16 »

I need some help. Im looking to start saving for a project car to start on but cant decide between 2 cars.

Toyota Corolla AE86 N2 Clone with either a 3SGTE or a Turbo 4AGE

or

Nissan RPS13 Chuki with a RB26DETT or VQ35DE

I want something that would be good for drifting and Time Attacking and also good for the street
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Being a Toyota fanboy I will obviously say AE86, but really those two cars are pretty damn close. No-one can really tell you that one is better than the other because they both have huge aftermarket support and fanbases, and they are both capable cars if worked properly.

Apart from that, the S13 will be easier to drift for a beginner, and spares for them are everywhere.
The AE is lighter and more agile and also simpler in its design.
Both cars can be turned into anything you want, but I don't think drifting and time-attack is the best combination. You will end up with compromises between each setup.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

AE86 shells around here on the US East sell for about 4000 - 6000 USD. This is just the body rolling on spares. Not to mention the rust and ruined interior.

You must be loaded cash.
korge
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

I'd simplify your options.

A 4A-GTE is never going to be happy, the engine by it's design likes to rev, throwing a peak power figure that comes in halfway through the powerband will mean the car constantly feels like it's in the wrong gear. Toyota produced a 4A-GZE (s/c'd) for this very reason, it was available in the AW11 G-Limited. I'm not going to lie and tell you it's easy to come by, nor cheap, but I'd looking into a supercharger or IRTB set-up before I'd resort to a turbo. The 3S-GTE will produce some good figures, but realistically, it's going to be a pain to install into an '86, and you'll go through a ridiculous list of parts to try and cure the inevitable loss of traction that will result from a bhp:ton figure better than most supercars. If you're interested in knowing more, go to http://www.two-brutal.com, it's a forum for engine-swapped AW11s, which started with the 3S-GTE. One of the D1 boys installed an F20C into his '86, but fairly recently wrote it off. He can be found on Driftworks (Paz) or Night Spirit if you want to know more about that, too.

As for the S13, again I wouldn't bother with either the RB or the VQ. You're throwing a lot of money at the car for a negligible return, when the SR already found in an RPS13 will do the job just as well, but for half the price. While the engine swap might help you get a sponsor down to individuality, individuality doesn't get you championship points.

As for which car to go for, naturally I'd say the S13. The aftermarket is huge, parts are cheap, and as of yet, you don't have to pay ''cool tax'' on the cars, unlike the Toyota which suffers a ridiculous extortion of a price increase thanks to Initial D.

However, I'd say there's some things you've overlooked. You can't just walk into the Time Attack series, even for the club class you require a Racing licence (equivalent to UK national B MSA). This also applies to most drifting series. Over here, that'll set you back £300 and a day at the track to prove your competent. Any parts you buy will need to be FIA approved, and most series will only allow certain makes of roll-cage, tyres etc. You'll need a kill-switch, plumbed in fire extinguisher, and the roll-cage as a bare minimum before they'll even let you near the start line. Then, once you've spent upwards of £7k, you can start thinking of fancy engine swaps and power-hikes, and realise you'll be the most inexperienced driver in a field of 60+ drivers. We've been preparing my friends DC2 up to a series spec, and in the last month, the sum of parts has tipped £3k. That was simply for a roll-cage, two seats, harnesses and tyres. The month before, he poured around £1500 into the brakes, another £500 for the tyres, £600 for the wheels...and these parts were ''cheap''. Little things like oil-coolers, baffled sumps, camber adjusters etc are the inexpensive parts that add up. After the car is to spec, the estimate will have been £12k for the car, £7k in parts, and then the engine will still be making roughly stock power. Furthermore, the tyres will last 2 track events at the very most, the brakes 3/4 (though the carbon pads will need changing every event), it will effectively need a service (oil change, filters, plugs) after every 4 events, and that's before you get to any cosmetic damage that may be caused, or engine wear.

I think you need to lower your sights. Get some on-track experience, some tuition, and look into a cheap motorsport series (such as auto-x or kit-car racing). I had the same visions as you around a year ago, I'm still sat here without the SR engine I said I would buy, still without my MSA licence, and obviously still not in the Time Attack series. Arrogantly, I'd say I have enough racing experience now to challenge for some of the top places in the Club series of Time Attack, but then I've been doing trackdays for some time, and been giving racing tuition for over a year now. Realistically though, I can't afford to up the spec to Time-Attack level (not this year at least), and I'd probably find that I'm not as good a driver as I like to think anyway. My most realistic option left at the moment is to enter the Ma5da Championship, where my car is actually too highly specced.

Good luck, either way.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:A 4A-GTE is never going to be happy, the engine by it's design likes to rev, throwing a peak power figure that comes in halfway through the powerband will mean the car constantly feels like it's in the wrong gear.
lol, it would be cool if you told me that beforehand :lol:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Haha, sorry man. :D To be fair, I don't think you'll get any less enjoyment out of it!
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Cars”