Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Post by boganbusman »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:But don't forget the heat factor. They run retardedly hot.
Buy one with an upgraded cooler then.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

If I were to get a 4850, I'd get this one:
This one!

Its cooler has some good reviews. I was planning to get that one but decided not to, for a while.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I would look into the 4850's/4870's myself but, I know it sounds retarded and I'm gonna get snapped on for saying it, I don't like the gay a** red. =/

GTX260-core216 FTW. :mrgreen:
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Unless your case has a window, you shouldn't care at ALL. (Mine doesn't)

But I remember that yours does so meh...
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Sapphire does blue-ish ones..

Not that I'd care though.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

thanks for the suggestion, dont care much for ati cards tbh though :P
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I just got a 9600GT because my 8600GT will struggle with 2 screens, one of them 1080p. I'll tell u how it goes.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

YaelDjiel wrote:thanks for the suggestion, dont care much for ati cards tbh though :P
Well, if you're really set on buying a nVidia card, I can't help you. :P
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

Carcrazy wrote:I would look into the 4850's/4870's myself but, I know it sounds retarded and I'm gonna get snapped on for saying it, I don't like the gay a** red. =/

My 3870 is red and I dont mind. :P
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

can some1 recommened me a good ati graphics card that has VGA port in order to work undercover?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

You can use a DVI to VGA adapter on any card.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

2fast4all wrote:
Carcrazy wrote:I would look into the 4850's/4870's myself but, I know it sounds retarded and I'm gonna get snapped on for saying it, I don't like the gay a** red. =/

My 3870 is red and I dont mind. :P
Who cares? It's inside a case. And you get better performance for less money from ATI. My 9600GT is Blue!
can some1 recommened me a good ati graphics card that has VGA port in order to work undercover?
Most cards come with DVI to VGA and some even have DVI to HDMI (My 9600GT).

What's your budget? WHat are your current Specs? Power Supply? More info.

I picked up a 512MB ASUS EN9600GT this Monday. $149 AU @ MSY
It's PCI-E 2.0, but I am running it in PCI-E 1.0, so it's not at its full potential, but this review is from a budget perspective for potential upgraders of older rigs.

Now, I'll start with my previous specs. I did run a 7600GT 256 MB and I was running Oblivion at 1280x960 high, HDR, but I did skimp on the shadows and grass to keep the framerate up. It was just above 25 with the eye candy.

Now, got an 8600GT when the Mobo blew so I could run PCI-E. This was a necessary upgrade over the 7600GT, but there wasn't a massive performance boost in Oblivion, FEAR, Trackmania, and Source games. It was a few extra settings... so PCI-E 7600GT to 8600GT is pointless, I believe my processor made the difference, not the GFX card. The 8600GT is a good entry level card if you are desperate and want to spend little. It'll last you at least a year if you do casual gaming and such. May not cope with the best, full HD screens and not all eye candy can be on, but you can have a few settings higher to make it look pretty and you can get good frame rates out of it at mid settings. 512mb over 256mb GRAM will help a bit too.

This will be the first part of my impression.

Card: Asus
Main PC Specifications:
:arrow: Screen 17" BenQ 1280x1024
Intel E2180 (2x2ghz cores)
2GB DDR 667 RAM
Nvidia 9600GT as mentioned above.
500Watt Apevia 500-Java Power Supply

So, at the moment I'm cranking the 17" monitor until the shop gets my monitor.
BenQ E2200HD (1920x1080) $239
So... this is stock speeds.
Crysis: 1280x1024 - All High except for shadows and shaders, which can be taxing. Shaders lag with gunfire, but not normal play. FPS is no lower than 30, so easily playable. Stayed smooth in battle with these settings, and no stutter at all. However, I did only test the island level.

The Witcher: 1280x1024 - All Max... AA 2x. No lower than 30 FPS

Prostreet: 1280x1024 - Max + 8x AA. The game is capped at 30 FPS... never dipped below that offering a perfect experience.

Oblivion: 1280x1024 - All Max but exterior shadows @ 3/4 and no grass shadows.

Test Drive Unlimited: 1280x1024 - An effortless max settings @ 4x AA.

Fable: Max and 70 FPS +

Haven't tested Source games yet, but no less that high settings is expected looking at Crysis's results. Will post more as I play them. And Will re-do with the new screen when it comes.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I recently got two of these:

EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2& ... odelmenu=1

Factory overclocked (625->680MHz, 1.986->2.1GHz), offers good performance in its pricerange (under 200e). With two it dominates (not counting the extra cost of a crossfire mb and big enough psu). Near to single gtx280 performance (depending on game) in crossfire for about 150e less money.

Also fairly quiet. My system is actually a little bit quieter now then before (that is, a single x1950 pro card -> two 4850 cards, all other "noise" factors remaining the same.) Though I must say that the noise problem before was mostly due to case resonance than fan noise. I think the smallish fan of the 1950 caused my case sides to vibrate causing a low humming sound. The 4850's have large diameter fans which also spin slower and don't have the same resonance effect.

And yes, they are red!
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

boganbusman wrote:You can use a DVI to VGA adapter on any card.

yea i noe but i heard that the standards will drop which means not running the true power of the card. i want a card that does not nid the adapter and is one of the latest any recommendation?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

SLJ wrote:

yea i noe but i heard that the standards will drop which means not running the true power of the card. i want a card that does not nid the adapter and is one of the latest any recommendation?
It doesn't effect the performance of the card. It might effect on what resolutions are available. I have no problem running my DVI-only cards with a dvi-vga adapter to my crt (which is the only way, since only tft's have dvi's anyway). For me the DCC info for my display show the maximum available resolutions correctly (that is, 2048 x 1536 / 68 Hz )
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

vellu wrote:
SLJ wrote:

It doesn't effect the performance of the card. It might effect on what resolutions are available. I have no problem running my DVI-only cards with a dvi-vga adapter to my crt (which is the only way, since only tft's have dvi's anyway). For me the DCC info for my display show the maximum available resolutions correctly (that is, 2048 x 1536 / 68 Hz )
The cables and adaptors are on the output side, so they have no effect on performance. Of course HDMI and DVI are better quality, but you won't notice much of a difference on a VGA monitor, and it only limits the max res really. But it's likely that it would be more than ample for your monitor still, unless you're nearing full HD

So... recommendations are hard to find without requirements.
What's your budget and in what currency?
What type of screen do you run and how many?
What power supply do you use?
What is the rest of your system like in therms of RAM and CPU?
What are your current GFX?
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

as for the budget, it will be around 200-300 singapore dollars. i use 1 LCD monitor which only has 1 VGA port. the rest i am not sure because i am getting a new pc. the ram i think is about 3-4GB, and the video card must be from ATI
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

A new PC eh?
Go with 4GB Ram... 2 sticks in dual channel sold as a kit.
300 singapore dollars = 305 Australian Dollars ATM. ATI are better value this generation.
In that price range... you can get a 1GB ATI HD4850 for $279 AUD. The faster, 512MB HD4870 sits at $339AUD
512MB HD4850s sit at $209 for a generic and $244 for an ASUS, which may have better cooling.
I run an ASUS 9600GT; runs very cool. 15 deg less than my gigabyte 8600GT and 20 than my Palit 7600GT... It's usually around low 40 degrees and can approach 50 when gaming, but that's quite good IMO, especially on a cramped Mobo like mine. It's also very quiet unlike some generic cards. Hope that helps.

I was lucky actually. I got my 9600GT 3 days ago for $149, today it is $159. Phew! Screen is the same price luckily! Just needs to arrive.
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

wat is the difference between the toxic edition and the normal ones for ati video cards? Because i saw some with such as toxic edition and the price is more expensive.

out of the topic: wat is the maximum amount of that is readable for windows xp?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Toxic is probably a factory overclocked card with a better cooler. SHould perform a bit better.

Max RAM for XP 32-bit is 4GB minus any VRAM you have, because that counts. But, On 64 bit it's higher.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

SLJ wrote:wat is the difference between the toxic edition and the normal ones for ati video cards? Because i saw some with such as toxic edition and the price is more expensive.

out of the topic: wat is the maximum amount of that is readable for windows xp?
Toxic's are factory overclocked. Amount of what? If you mean RAM it's somewhere around 3-3.5 GB, depends on your system (total memory for a 32bit is 4GB, from which you deduct gfx ram and other device ram. What's left over will be available for system ram. If you have XP 64bit or Vista 64bit no such limit exists)
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

No such limit exists Yet.
SLJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SLJ »

baumaxx1 wrote:No such limit exists Yet.

lols...
o ya my bad for forgetting that it is the amount of ram
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

baumaxx1 wrote:No such limit exists Yet.
Indeed!

Whilst 2^32 is "only" 4294967296 = 4GB

2^64 is an astronomical 18446744073709551616 = 17179869184 GB = 16777216 TB = 16384 PB = 16 EB

So the limit is there... way, way out there!
weedman173
Professional
Professional

Post by weedman173 »

I need some information please, I want to go SLI but I'm not sure I will be able to with my current card. I have an 8800GTS 640MB graphics card now, and I want to get a second but Newegg no longer sells the 640MB version, only the 320MB version. Would it be possible to SLI a 640MB card with a 320MB card?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”