Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

baumaxx1 wrote:and the next big breakthrough will be 3D which requires double the power current gen cards can dish out.
What, the 3D technology that's already been released and can be used on the 8800GT?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Re: Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocards!

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, I know... but it requires twice the graphics processing power. So your 8800GT, which runs crysis smoothly on med-high at 1080p will struggle on med once you hit the 3D button. The demo PC I saw had a single GTX 285 and an i7... it did not max COD 6 with 3D on. It chugged. So yeah, 3D can be done on current cards, but you lose all the prettiness you'd expect from current games.

Anyway: Yeah, you'd need a new Mobo for an i7/i5 if you have a dual core. I like the tri channel i7s for engineering stuff and I think i9s will be using that board, but yeah, the i5s and dual channel i7s use the same type of board which is cheaper I think. It's all down to budget, but try and keep it upgradeable.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Videocards.. which to buy and whatnot.. simply videocard

Post by Kaerar »

Well currently Intel own the high end market with triple channel and i7. The i5 and dual channel i7's (1156 boards) are the best of the mid range but cost a fair bit more than the AMD equivalents which aren't that far behind. With the release of the 6 core AM3 chips AMD have just taken the mid range dual channel sector crown back and are challenging the base i7 triple channels with very well priced chip.

As for gfx despite the die hard nVidia supporting reviewers the Fermi based cards are finding that they are not able to beat their Radeon equivalents at the moment by enough to justify their ridiculous pricing. When the 470 is routinely beaten by the 5850 which was released 8 months earlier than it, then nVidia really need to head back to the drawing board.

Whichever way you look at it ATi/AMD own the gfx gaming market at the moment with the 6xxx series looking to make waves on the new 32nm or 28nm fabrication process. Again looking to double power output over the 5xxx series the 6xxx series looks squarely set to put nVidia into second place in the gfx war. Personally I can't wait as I'm not upgrading until those cards are out ;)
hipertogbog
Stock
Stock

Post by hipertogbog »

I have a GeForce FX5600 and I am so happy, you know, there are some tools relied Which over clock Nvidia cards, now I do not have problems with playing games, but when I take it I overclok,I all ready had some tests and the results it impressive.
TMW
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TMW »

Does anyone know anything about a Sapphire Radeon HD5450? I want more performance...

it's a passive heatsink design, but I put a fan on it to keep the temps down further.

Thnx
IF it don't cost anything, DON'T BUY IT!!
Jack33673
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re:

Post by Jack33673 »

TheStig wrote:LOL 650....

I got it for Just 500 euro (amost same in USD, to make it easy)
:D
What's you budget for the video card also you should wait 6 months by then the price drop on the video card you want to buy.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”