Post your system specs!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Post your system specs!

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Then why will a E8400 @ 3.0GHz outpeform my E4600 @ 3.24GHz? Cause mine has 2MB cache and a E8400 has 6MB cache...So i'm thinking cache size does have something to do with peformance. In gaming anyways. And benching.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Perhaps it's the switch to a 45nm fabrication technology, new SSE instruction set and a higher FSB MT/s?

There's more then just cache, obviously. :p
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

PSZeTa wrote:...cache size, which has little influence in performance.
:shock: .... what?...im confused.. :(
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

There's no catastrophic performance hit. Lets say it varies from 0 to 15%.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

How much of a difference does die size make?

BTW what du make of the bloomfield ( corei7 ) processors..i know getting one requires a complete overhaul.. :-k
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

t3ice wrote:How much of a difference does die size make?
It makes a pretty big difference... think about how small a nm really is, and then consider how any change in size could really affect the machinery's characteristics.

And I know little about the i7's other than the rumor that Intel made them completely out of Chuck Norris' beard, and pwn.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Carcrazy wrote:It makes a pretty big difference... think about how small a nm really is, and then consider how any change in size could really affect the machinery's characteristics.
:lol: Lol no...Die size is measured in mm², its the size of the processor die on the board .. ( correct me if im wrong here )

Nm is waay to small a quantity, and afaik, wavelength is measured in nanometer ;)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

t3ice wrote: ( correct me if im wrong here )
Okay, look at any processor specification page... here's the link to my CPU, look beside "Manufacturing Tech," it will say 65nm. The same can be said for GPU's, not only CPU's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115017
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I was wondering... After my upgrade to the Q9450, my Autosculpt worked wonderfully. Before that, on an Athlon 64 4000+, it would take about a minute to get the vinyl across the car. And now I actually like autosculpt. I can use it without having to wait a long time for a lil vinyl to move over. I didn't think that moving vinyls was a cpu-intensive task... Also, my performance in Undercover doubled... I thought this all had to do with graphics. O_o
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Well, it does make sense I guess. I ran it at 1680x1050 had an average of around 20fps which didn't go below about 15, did have any stutters or any of the other stuff people would complain about, and was using an 8600GT with my Q6600...

Actually, I thought my improvements in Autosculpt were because UC was actually coded better, didn't even think about my CPU upgrade... didn't make many cars in PS either.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Well since I just recently received the CPU, I'm guessing it's the only thing that could have had the impact. All my vinyls moved slowly in Undercover, ProStreet, and carbon. Now they move blazingly fast (for me, at least)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

That's interesting, I'll see if I get the same result when I upgrade my CPU.

My new parts are all here now, I'm just gathering drivers and stuff so I'll be ready to build it on the weekend.

New specs:
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ > Intel E8400
Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G/2.1 > Gigabyte EP45-DS4P
3GB A-DATA DDR2 800 RAM (512MB x2 + 1GB x2)
Powercolor HD4870 PCS+ 512MB (factory overclock + overclock some more)
1480GB HDD (Seagate SATAII 320GB + 160GB + 1TB)
Asus Lightscribe DVD-RW
CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Duo 650W
Thermaltake Soprano case > Thermaltake Armor+ case
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

You must have a lot of patience to be able to wait that long... :lol:

I really do need to get one of those 1TB drives, though. I presume it's still 7200RPM vs 5400RPM?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Dunno, I guess it's 7200rpm. It did take me over an hour to transfer 200GB worth of files though . . .

And I'm not really patient, I'm just not ready yet. I want to wipe the master HDD so I'm backing everything up and getting all drivers etc etc. Also need to prepare for my friends new PC, which will re-use all of my old parts. Gah I hate installing Windows all over again, takes so damn long -_-
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Aw ya big girl. Why don't ya have a little cry about it? There.. better?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Then you come here and do it for me :P
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

I like how the Mac installation is pretty fast. 1/2 hours and you're done. Ready to use. And they include languages on the DVD so you don't have to buy a new version with a different language like with Windows.

Mac for laptop, Windows for PC. =O
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

My god ReadyBoost is a brilliant concept. I chucked one of my 2GB USBs in and used the whole thing as a cache and my god it's fast now. The 5000 fonts do nothing to stand in the way lol.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Lol. The main problem with Vista is that the illiterate's don't know what it needs. My mother didn't like vista, so we chucked an extra GB of ram into her laptop, sped the thing right up. Same with a teacher of mine, he was complaining it was to slow. He only had 800-someodd MB's of ram, so I told him just take it by Best Buy and ask them to install another GB.

Really, ram and CPU are the key to making Vista work for you. I guess the good news for Bogan is that when the final version of Windows 7 arrives, it's supposed to only take 10 minutes to install. While it is faster that Vista's installation, God knows it ain't 10 minutes yet... :lol:
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well, here are my computer specs. Bought it back in April 2008... it still runs fine, but I think I need to put more RAM and maybe change the graphics card in the next 3/4 months. Still I can play all the games really good. :)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz (no OC)
RAM: Team Xtreem Dark 2 x 1GB PC8500 DDR2
Motherboard: Asus P5K-C
Graphics card: Nvidia XFX 9600 GT 512 MB DDR3 (no OC)

And that's it. :P

I have a hard drive with 500 GB, but it's old, it's IDE. :mrgreen:
At the time I bought it, I didn't have a motherboard with SATA support, and I really needed a new hard drive, so I had to buy IDE.

A Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel, a Lifetech keyboard, a Trust GM-4200 gamer mouse optical and other stuff complete the set up. :D
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Actually, if I were you I'd set priority to buying a new hard drive over new RAM. The only case that you'd really need 3GB+ ram is if you're a VERY heave multi-tasker, or you like to run Virtual Machines on your PC. (Like me.)
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Or a photoshop user... I guess 1GB is fine for little sigs and chops... but 2GB is definitely cutting it fine for DVD covers and high resolution print pieces.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Carcrazy wrote:Actually, if I were you I'd set priority to buying a new hard drive over new RAM. The only case that you'd really need 3GB+ ram is if you're a VERY heave multi-tasker, or you like to run Virtual Machines on your PC. (Like me.)
Yep, I think the same. I dunno what to buy first, but my hard drive definitely needs to rest. I mean, it's still good (no errors or failures), and 500 GB (or well, 468 after it's formatted) it's a good amount of space for backups and stuff. But it's too slow. I didn't notice that before because my entire PC was slow ( :mrgreen: ), but now that every part of the PC is fast, the hard drive sometimes drags that performance down. I notice that on loadings or when the windows is starting, or when I try to open various documents, films, music, etc.

A few days ago I connected a SATA hard drive to my computer, and that thing was damn fast. :lol: Oh and it makes less noise.

A SATA HD is pretty cheap actually, and I don't need a lot of GB. Most of the stuff I have is saved on another partition of this 500 GB HD, so I don't use that much for Windows. A 250 SATA would be perfect for me. I would leave the IDE one just for backups and documents, not to run the windows and all the programs. :)

About the RAM, although I do like to multi-task some times, it's not something I do often. I just focus on one task usually xD. And I don't use Photshop, I just edit some films once in a while, but nothing special. I just think that 3 or 4 GB would help. :)
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I have 4GB installed atm (3GB working due to 32-bit OS limitations,) and I can't really notice a difference. I do run games and apps simultaneously sometimes, but other than that you can't tell that much.

Also, with the hard drive issue:

For best performance, you should get two hard drives. One small (30-60GB) for the Windows OS, and anther (however large you think you need,) for programs and files. Not only is this useful if you need to reinstall Windows for whatever reason, but if set up properly in RAID you will get much better performance. Atm I only have one (500GB) SATA HD installed, and it's very easy for it to get bogged down when transferring multiple files, or doing strainious tasks such as a virus scan, which takes alot from the hard drive. Even I strongly think it should be the next thing to buy for my PC.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”