Post your system specs!

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Post your system specs!

Post by vellu »

Excellent. I'm very pleased with my crossfire setup. It wasn't a straight forward install however, needed a bit of googling to get the pair working properly (issue with my motherboard bios settings, my mobo is quad crossfire capable and it needed manual settings for dual operation ie. increasing the power/watt rating for the pcie x16 slots in use instead of dividing the power equally to all four pcie x16 slots. Issue that would not have occured if I actually had PSU big enough to drive four pcie x16 slots at the same time, in the magniture of 900W or bigger. My 650W Corsair is enough for two but not more, should I ever choose to add a third or even fourth gfx card).
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I've just got my second HD-4850, put it in, plugged the power cable, put on the crossfire bridges and checked the crossfire checkbox in CCC (which wasn't there before), but I don't see any performance improvement at all.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Depends on the game, which games have you tried?

And at what settings, crossfire really kicks in only at high resolutions (1680x1050, 1920x1080)?
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

But can't I use it for AA? It lags when I play games with 8xAA exactly the same. Fallout 3 for example.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Don't own F3 I'm afraid so can't verify how it reacts to crossfire. Me personally I'm running every game I have at 1920x1200, all settings maxed out including AA and haven't found a game yet that would lag.

Any common benchmark result? I'm getting about 15000 marks in 3DMark06.

Any difference in F3 with crossfire enable and disabled? What driver version are you using? What Windows version?

Getting a bit off topic here, though...
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Rofl, this laptop gets 546 is 3Dmark06. :lol:

Speaking of laptop, this has as follows:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2390 @ 1.86Ghz
2Gb Dell-branded DDR2-667
250GB HDD
Intel Integrated X3100 Chipset (again rofl)

As for the rest of it, I have no idea. It has 2 or 3 hardly noticable scratches/cracks, but nothing that would really hinder it in anyway other than annoying me to hell. But, for $200, I'm not going to complain.

Now, a question:
CPUZ Reports the CPU as being a Socket P (478), but I'm not aware of any Pentium Dual-Cores (or ANY other dual-core CPU) being made for anything other than the LGA775 socket. Did Intel actually make some socket 478 Pentium Dual-Cores, or is CPUZ just screwing up.

My old Acer had a lesser-clocked Pentium Dual-Core and CPUZ also reported it as a Socket P.

Any ideas? I had to use my new monitor/Antec 1200 money to get this, so I'd like to be able to get some decent performance out of it for 2 or 3 years.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

I ordered a new pc. It's pretty low budget but I'd say you can't get any better for 400€.
(Well it's like 470€, but I got a 75€~ discount through a friend.)

Mobo: Asus P5QL Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300
GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD4830 (has higher clocks than the reference card)
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x2gt kit (800mhz)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb
Case: Antec 300

I will use the dvd-drive from my old pc (I have two) and its PSU (I have an extra one of them too), and also my SB X-fi Fatal1ty card.

Selling my old system to my brother for 200€, so the upgrade is only gonna cost me 200€.

Old system (3 years old):
AMD 64 X2 4200+
Club3d GeForce 7800GT
Asus A8N-Sli
1,5gb 400mhz DDR
2x250gb Maxtors (thinking of maybe keeping one for the new system)
Antec Sonata 2 -case
lol wut
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

@carcrazy

A bit odd, it should read as "479 mPGA" which was/is the socket used on laptops. For some reason cpu-z doesn't get the correct info from your laptops motherboard. Your cpu generation is different to my than my though (yonah vs merom, different bus speeds, yonah 32bit, merom 64bit), but the socket should still be the same.

EDIT: Nevermind, further study shows that your socket is indeed "Socket P (478)" which is the current socket for intel x86-64 laptops. NOT the be confused with the old desktop 478 socket. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_P
Attachments
My laptop
My laptop
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Thanks for the info man, I was figuring there was some weird difference between the desktop and laptop models. :mrgreen:

@ Pabl0z: Nice build baby, be sure to post some benchmarks when you get it together. :P
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

That's actually 479 :wink:
ben_0026
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ben_0026 »

Minz is:
Windows XP Professional SP2
AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.6Ghz
ASUS Geforce 9600GT 512MB
Kingston PC2-6400 2GBX2
Seagate 320GB Hard Drive
ASUS GSURF-365 motherboard
Benq 19" Widescreen LCD
2.1 Channel Sonicgear Speakers
LG GH20NS15 20X DVD±RW/DVD-R/DVD+R
450Watt Power Supply

To buy list:
Power supply maybe 850Watts
Better CPU cooling
Nothing Is Enough In This World
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

vellu wrote:I'm also looking to get a bluray capable mediacenter of some sort, hopefully sometime this spring. My current standalone mediaplayers aren't capable of HD playback so it is time to retire those.
Lucky break, a friend of mine wants to get rid of his setup so I'm getting one next week. Some upgrades necessary though to make it HD capable.

As is, it is:
Case: Chieftec HE-02SL-OP
PSU: 350W Silent 120mm
Motherboard: Asus M2N-VM HDMI (HDCP capable, NVidia Purevideo integrated, 7.1 audio)
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2350
RAM: 2x 1GB DDR2 800GB
HDD: 2x 250GB SATA (RAID-0)
Hauppauge WinTV Nova DVB-T tuner (won't be needing this, I've got cable)
DVDRW+Memcard reader

Upgrades:
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9850BE (biggest the mobo will support)
RAM: 2x 2GB DDR 800GB
Additional 250GB SATA drive for RAID-5 array (for reliability, plain raid-0 is just asking for trouble)
LG BLURAY 6X GGW-H20LRB (BluRay Reader/BR-RW/DVD-Burner/HDDVD-ROM)
SPDIF output module for the motherboard for digital audio
Propably a bigger PSU needed...

I'll be sure to post some pics, when I get it up and running.
Attachments
HE-02SL-OP.jpg
Look of the thing
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 9290 times
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Where's the graphics?
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Motherboard: Asus M2N-VM HDMI (HDCP capable, NVidia Purevideo integrated, 7.1 audio)
THAR THEY ARE LOL
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Duuuude, tell me how those cases work. I'm thinking of slapping a cheap media PC together with some of these left over parts, since sitting on my floor all the time can't be good for them rofl.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

We actually have a nice Antec case for out mediapc in the living room. Works great, low temps, but it's got a ninja scythe thing cpu cooler so that may be the reason. Is niec.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Carcrazy wrote:Duuuude, tell me how those cases work. I'm thinking of slapping a cheap media PC together with some of these left over parts, since sitting on my floor all the time can't be good for them rofl.
Pretty much the same as normal cases (usually micro-atx form), though the layout is quite different than in a tower case. But cheap they are not, this particular case costs (new) about 200e without a psu (it's not plastic, it's all brushed aluminum top to bottom, helps with cooling too).

EDIT: If you are planning on building one, keep in mind that HD capability does not come cheap. For one the Bluray drives aren't cheap (yet), and you also need a fairly hefty cpu to view HD properly. Just the upgrades for my rig cost about 560e (CPU 200, bluray burner 250 (well you really don't need a burner, readers are about 100 iirc), hdd 50, ram 40, spdif module 20. 50-70 more for the psu.) and 350 for my friend for his "used" parts and case. So almost 1k here...

On the other hand I will have some left over bits to sell.
Stereo wrote:Works great, low temps, but it's got a ninja scythe thing cpu cooler so that may be the reason.
Yup, massive silent coolers are a must. One can't have a noisebomb in the room where you try to watch movies...

Just got the case, and swapped the cpu/cooler and ram, added the third hdd. I should the bluray drive and the spdif module some time next week.

And as suspected I will need to replace the PSU with a bigger one. Odd effect though, didn't even notice it at first but the machine seemed far too slow on occasion like when watching a HD .MKV file. For a while it playes like a charm but then gets really choppy for a bit and then plays ok again... Took hours to try and figure out what was happening (checking the cooling, checking the drivers, checking the software, etc.) and finally I installed CPU-Z and immediately saw what the problem is. The CPU core voltage is all over the place, even in idle it hovers between 1.275V-1.322V (supposed to be 1.3V for this cpu) and when I increase the load (like uncompressing hd video realtime) the voltage gets lower and lower and when it drops below 1.24V the cpu downclocks itself to a puny 1250MHz to avoid damage. Once the voltage raises again it runs normal, for a while, and then drops again and again... I guess an active pfc PSU is in order.
Attachments
Here it is.
Here it is.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Wow... so onboard GFX can now do HD video better than a 7600GT?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Sure, when it's specifically designed to do just that, the mobo has a HDMI-interface too (in addition to VGA and DVI). Offers nothing for gaming on the other hand, but I won't be doing that on this machine anyway.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3& ... odelmenu=1

Quotes:

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7050PV+nForce™ 630a
The NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7Series GPU Northbridge supports Microsoft® DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0

HDMI Interface
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the industry-supported, uncompressed, all digital audio and video interface via a single cable and is HDCP compliant allowing playback of HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc and other protected content.

NVIDIA® PureVideo™ HD Support
PureVideo HD technology is the core of a complete Blu-ray or HD DVD movie solution, featuring hardware acceleration, post-processing, HDCP circuitry, and integration with leading HD movie software players.
722S
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 722S »

Alienware Aurora :wink:

AMD Phenom 2.2
ATI Radeon 4870 512MB
2GB Memory @ 1066

SONY BRAVIA 32" :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************************************************
********Check out my showroom profile http://www.nfsunlimited.net/showroom/user/722S ********
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

I want a 30" screen! But they're all 1200€+. But aren't monitors all low res when they're over 30"?
722S
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 722S »

My 32" LCD TV is 1280x720.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

peterfaj wrote:I want a 30" screen! But they're all 1200€+. But aren't monitors all low res when they're over 30"?
TV's are, but actual pc monitors are not. A 30" LCD monitor is typicly capable of 2560x1600 resolution... woohoo! (TV's are at best fullhd, which is a "puny" 1920x1080 in comparison). But 30" monitors do indeed cost an arm and leg. (you also need a dual-link DVI cable to achieve that resolution, single-link dvi or hdmi won't go that high)

For example: http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9179LL/A
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

But all monitors over 30" are pretty low res for their size.
And if you're buying stuff from Apple, you're crazy.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

How about this then:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/07/hp-l ... -revealed/

Costs about 1600e.

The native pixel size is actually very close to that of a 24" display (0.25mm for 30", 0.27mm for 24"). So you get roughly the same sized icons and fonts, but a larger desktop area (native resolutions being 2560x1600 and 1920x1200 respectively) with a 30" display. So not really "low res for their size", equal.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”