Computer Help Thread

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Re: Computer Help Thread

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Speaking of Win7: Any reason why it would suddenly completely stop reading my headphone/microphone jacks for no apparent reason? I WAS using Win7 quite a bit but because I'm not really technically savvy with it I don't know what the problem could be. Also suddenly Vista wants to be the golden boy of the dual-boot operating systems. It's now began to work perfectly fine ever since I deleted some stuff off the hard drive and shifted it over to the Seagate.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Umm... try re-installing the audio drivers? =-p Fixed my problems.

But yeah... Vista's always worked really well for me. It is 64 bit mind you... and 64 bit XP sucks, lol. But yeah... faster no navigate and easier to use. Find it starts and runs very quickly too.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

My 700w OCZ PSU went pop last week, so I bought the bullet and picked up an 825w PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad so I can build my next SLI rig.

Problem is, my PC refuses to boot if I have any peripherals (mouse, keyboard, speakers ect.) plugged in. It just makes a fuzzing sound and refuses to turn on. I'm pretty sure the problem is a dodgy connection somewhere on my motherboard, or just a faulty earth in my case, but could it be anything more sinister? If so, will I need a full rebuild? I've been toying with the idea of going Phenom II X4/DDR3 Mobo/GTX275 for a while so is now a good oppertunity do you think?
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Have you tried tearing it apart and putting it back together? I'm saying this because other than the PSU possibly being faulty, I have no clue, but when it comes to hardware errors or conflicts this can sometimes help. (Normally because there's a bad connection somewhere, and you've forced yourself to fix it.)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Carcrazy wrote:Have you tried tearing it apart and putting it back together? I'm saying this because other than the PSU possibly being faulty, I have no clue, but when it comes to hardware errors or conflicts this can sometimes help. (Normally because there's a bad connection somewhere, and you've forced yourself to fix it.)
I've tried re-wiring everything but same problem. I'm actually quite cautious about powering it up at the moment because the last time I did I got a phenominal electric shock off the grille that surrounds the rear USB ports.

In actual fact, I'm not even sure that my old OCZ PSU is dead- think it's just something on my motherboard shorting out against the case.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how ... y-psu.html

Best would be to connect some stuff to the PSU as well, like harddrives or fans.

If your case gave off an electric shock, there might be a short. Try to boot your hardware outside the case.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

PSZeTa wrote:http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how ... y-psu.html

Best would be to connect some stuff to the PSU as well, like harddrives or fans.

If your case gave off an electric shock, there might be a short. Try to boot your hardware outside the case.
I'm rather cautious about sticking metal objects in the sockets of an £80 PSU. I have a habit of breaking eletrical goods at the best of times.

Spoken to a tech guy I know and he things that the most likely explaination is that the motherboard has blown a capacitor and it's causing all the powered peripheral sockets (PS2 Mouse, Keyboard, USB) to short if their circuit is completed (i.e if anything is plugged into them).

Oh well, good excuse to upgrade from a dual core Athlon to a quad-core, and to replace my, quite frankly terrible, M2N32 motherboard.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

I've done it multiple times and things never went wrong. One end should be into the green wire and the other in any black one.

If it blows, you're doing it wrong. :P
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

PSZeTa wrote:If it blows, you're doing it wrong. :P
I. Love. This. Quote. :lol:

My experiences with motherboards is that sometimes, when you can't really find anything wrong with it and it likes to f*** up anyway, just replace it.

I base this off my AW9D-Max. I love this Maximus II, not even because of it's OC clocks, it's looks, or it's price tag... I like it because it doesn't randomly turn the hell off on me, doesn't give me memory errors every time I make a hardware change, doesn't give me lip about my 1066FSB C2Q, and because it's not made by a company that gave up on computer electronics to make picture frames.

Sometimes, you just need to take the plunge and chunk it. :P
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I have another annoying problem. TOday I was in XP and watching TV fine, no problems... just like I could in VIsta. However... the past week since installing nothing, I've been having issues in VIsta only. Winfast PVR2 refuses to work and crashes immediately on startup. I've tried re-installing short of uninstalling, cleaning registry and doing a full removal. Not sure if that will help? The error report mentions quartz.dll as the issue/fault module. I can watch TV on windows media centre... however... I can only receive one service (Channel 10/One). This first happened about two weeks after installing my new sound card... haven't put anything else on in-between.

So... anyone know what's going on and how I can fix a problem that randomly presented itself?

**edit: It doesn't crash any more.... I switched the aerial off so it had no signal... changed the render settings... changed them back and it's fine....

BUT!!!! Out of a list of 30 channels... they are all one HD, one ten, one HD, one, ten...

IT ONLY DOES ONE AND TEN! >_< GAH!
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

hey guys i just installed new Drivers for my gcards for my laptop 8700gtm and my desktop 260gt both are giving me bad fps in my games. One main one from Counter Strike im gettin 60fps..whats going on?
It just started this week when i installed the new driver. I had the same set up for the past 3 months and was getting great fps and no lags.

Im running win7 64bit on both computers
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Erm... what's a BIOS Checksum error?

I went to boot the PC... hung while the loading bar was up, so I re-booted.

Then when I rebooted, the mobo picture was up, but then it came up with a BIOS checksum error, and restored the BIOS from a backup.

It's working fine now, just booted normally, and its startup was quicker than the past few days, lol. I'm using it now.

Basically, I made no system changes yesterday, shut down fine, its been working ok, but should I worry if the BIOS just randomly screws up? >_>

It's an i7 board... Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Usually happens when the cmos battery is about to fail (the little round battery on the motherboard) and the bios loses it's settings (date&time, boot order, etc). Cheap and easy to replace...

Most computers run just fine with the factory default bios settings, so no worries. Only if you've made specific changes (raid configuration, overclocking settings for example) would one obviously need to remake those changes after a bios reset.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

>_> It's a new board... how's the battery gone? It took 5 years to replace it on a PC I had 10 years ago...
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Usually...

A new battery can be faulty too, though not likely. All the same, easy & cheap to test with a fresh battery.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

That's normally if the problem's persistent though? This was a one off, but i still worried.

Also... how would I go about fixing a damage headphone socket... the one on my mp3 player is quite badly damaged... It's a Zen Vision: M.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

baumaxx1 wrote:That's normally if the problem's persistent though? This was a one off, but i still worried.
True.

Most likely just a random boot time failure that caused the cmos settings to corrupt (even a single bit of difference in the cmos data will render the checksum invalid), which then kicks in the "load defaults" prompt in the next boot. Nothing to worry about, unless it's frequent.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I have Bethesda engine related issues: http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?sho ... try1307732 =-S

For some reason there are some bugs related to the way the games use memory... I have to let them crash, then maximise the game again and keep playing. >_> Retarded stuff.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'm having a problem with Left 4 Dead. I've been trying to use Garena to join my friends' servers in game (they're running cracked versions mind you whereas mine is a fully-bought store copy), and either I can open up the game and Garena doesn't appear in game, or the game doesn't load at all saying "This game is unavailable, please try again at a later time".
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Sorry for the topic bump, but I have a really big issue. For reasons that I still don't know, my laptop shut itself down halfway through loading XP, and now it isn't detecting my hard drive. It loads the "HP Invent" screen, but I can't load the System Recovery partition of my hard drive, it doesn't detect neither XP nor Vista - simply coming up with the message "Operating System Not Found", and just to confirm that it's not detecting my HDD, I tried to reinstall XP and it said that there were no hard drives detected. Going into Setup upon startup and running the hard drive test says "No IDE Device". So, simple question: is my lappy screwed, or is there some way of getting it working again?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Sounds a bit terminal tbh. I'd be sending it straight to HP and let them sort it out.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Sounds like the hard drive crashed...
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

The other problem I have is that because I've owned it for two years, I have no warranty left on it. And it is definitely the hard drive that's the problem, luckily I only had my games on it which I can always just install again. Replacing a hard drive isn't expensive, also luckily, and I have an XP disc laying around from my recent dual-boot. Soo hopefully soon I'll be able to enjoy the brand new copy of Modern Warfare 2 that I just picked up today...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ah well yeah if there's nothing on there you can't replace, then just bin it (the hdd) and start over.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yeah, it looks like it's a dead HDD... they're pretty cheap. I got a WD Scorpio 320GB notebook drive for less than $100 AUD... and if it by some chance isn't the HDD that's stuffed, you can always get a case for it and use it as an external. But yeah, when swapping the drive, remember to ground yourself because static electricity is bad.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”