Anime... Japanese Cartoons... Whatever...

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Anime... Japanese Cartoons... Whatever...

Post by boganbusman »

Jopuma wrote:Dang bogan. I just found out that the second season of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that was supposed to be made got canceled in favor of another project. :(
Whaaaaat? Where did you read that?

It's a fairly popular, high-budget show, so I would be very suprised if they did cancel it :|
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

boganbusman wrote:
Jopuma wrote:Dang bogan. I just found out that the second season of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that was supposed to be made got canceled in favor of another project. :(
Whaaaaat? Where did you read that?

It's a fairly popular, high-budget show, so I would be very suprised if they did cancel it :|
same here....

Edit: I was really hoping there would still be a second season of the anime
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I was bummed when I read it, but it does seem like its true. Start of the 3rd paragraph.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-revealed

A real shame because a second season would've been killer. :(
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Gah, that doesn't say it's been cancelled! It just indicates that they changed the shows 'direction', so to speak.

The "new project" is still the second season of Haruhi. Read it again.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Oh...so it is. That's good. At least we can count on a second season still being released. :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

buuuuuuuuuuuump
I've recently heard/read some more stuff about Haruhi, so it's definitely coming, and soon.

More good animez:
Welcome to the N.H.K.! (N.H.K. Ni Yokoso!)
It's about a hikkikomori who believes that the whole world is against him (a conspiracy, no less) and how he gradually overcomes the condition with the help of strange girl. Not exactly a comedy, but a very entertaining drama and best of all it's original. Some of it is rather bizarre, but that just adds to the appeal of the show, along with the great soundtrack and wacky (disturbing?) humour. Highly recommend, but definitely not for kids!

Azumanga Daioh
A very mellow high-school comedy. I think it's hilarious (and super kawaii) but not everyone will 'get' the wacky humour. If you're immature like me then you will probably like it, but otherwise you'll just find it boring and stupid.

Lucky Star
Similar to previous^^, but a bit more hyper. Because of the many refences and parodies of other shows, this is more for veteran anime viewers, but I think the humour in this show has a wider appeal than Azumanga. The popularity of Lucky Star is on almost the same level as Haruhi, so it's worth checking out.

Edit: almost forgot about the new Eva movie . . .
Evangelion: 1.0 You are (Not) Alone
For anyone who's interested, I wrote a thing about it here:
http://www.last.fm/user/boganbusman/jou ... not)_alone
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Ah Lucky Star. Loved that show. The conversations they had in there were just so funny. Not anything you'd normally expect from an anime show.

The animation was pretty nice too.

Some of you have probably already seen this one. Samurai Champloo. Excellent show with beautiful fight scenes.

Also Mai-Hime, it was ok, but seemed a bit rushed in spots.

And also for those who have seen lots of anime will find the show They Are My Noble Masters to be hilarious. They have so many parodies of other shows like Initial D, Death Note, and a few others. It also has a line from Duke Nukem 3D in it so that was awesome as well. The show is definitely not for the younger ones. There's some mature content (ie ecchi) in it.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Jopuma wrote:Ah Lucky Star. Loved that show. The conversations they had in there were just so funny. Not anything you'd normally expect from an anime show.
If you really liked Lucky Star then I bet you'll like Azumanga as well :wink:

Also last Friday I went to see Evangelion 1.0 at the Melbourne International Film Festival. Seeing it on the big screen is just frickin amazing, so if it rolls through the US sometime then everyone has to go and see it. It will be packed though so buy tickets in advance and get there early!
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

a friend showed me some Strawberry 100% manga, and i fell in love with it. i still dont like the fantasy anime and etc. i just like more real ones.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

I'm watching an anime so far that's kinda interesting if any of you want to check it out.

Genre's:
Ecchi
Comedy
School
Romance(?)

It's called Rosario + Vampire. It's about a boy who gets accepted to high school, but only finds out that it's a school for monsters. Thus the reason for all the odd behavior of the students and the creepy appearance of the place.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Hmm, done some reading on Rosario + Vampire and it seems to be big on fanservice :lol: In that regard, how does it compare to Ikki Tousen? (I ask because I usually avoid those kinds of shows)
The Gravedigger
Professional
Professional

Post by The Gravedigger »

Jopuma wrote:I'm watching an anime so far that's kinda interesting if any of you want to check it out.

Genre's:
Ecchi
Comedy
School
Romance(?)

It's called Rosario + Vampire. It's about a boy who gets accepted to high school, but only finds out that it's a school for monsters. Thus the reason for all the odd behavior of the students and the creepy appearance of the place.
... Why waste your time watching crap like that -.-
boganbusman wrote:Hmm, done some reading on Rosario + Vampire and it seems to be big on fanservice :lol: In that regard, how does it compare to Ikki Tousen? (I ask because I usually avoid those kinds of shows)
It's not even worth comparing, both of those shows should go neck themselves.

Do yourself a favour and watch Code Geass if you aren't already.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

The Gravedigger wrote:Do yourself a favour and watch Code Geass if you aren't already.
lol, you already got me onto Geass a long time ago, and I'm still watching it :)
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Can't remember when was the last time I watched anime but I can't even finish watching this one movie, Tekkon Kinkreet.
Basically just got it for its soundtrack (made by Plaid).
Maybe I'll finish watching the movie tomorrow but now I just can't concetrate.
I watched anime for maybe a little less than two years and then kinda "got over it" and haven't watched any since :D.
lol wut
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Different people have different tastes TG. -.-

Ikki Tousen....don't know that one.

Anybody here currently watching D. Gray Man? That show is awesome.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I tried D.Gray Man, but I couldn't get past the first episode . . . almost fell asleep.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

The first few eps is kinda boring but all the others are good.
- Rx7 -
Drift King
Drift King

Post by - Rx7 - »

Interstella 5555 :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I just realised I can make a list of all the shows I've seen, at ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Zerogoki

They are all rated too so you can see which ones I like. Might write some reviews later on :)
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

When I was in Korea, Crayon Shinchan was always on TV. I like watching it and only 1 channel shows it. Supposedly Adult Swim was supposed to have more shows dubbed but they scrapped it. Booo.

I watched an episode of Death note and it seems pretty cool.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Death Note is very good, stick with it . . . but I hope you are watching the subbed version because the dub is horrible.

And after you have finished watching that, go for Code Geass and prepare to have your mind blown all over your face.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Jopuma wrote:Ah Lucky Star. Loved that show. The conversations they had in there were just so funny. Not anything you'd normally expect from an anime show.
Oh, yeah. Lucky Star FTW! Also, I love Crayon Shin Chan. Too bad I wasn't awake by 1:30 (Central U.S. Time) to see it. Sad face... :(

Many people might flame me for this one, but I'll say it loud and proud *ahem*... I may be the only person that actually likes InuYasha (shot)! As crammed with fillers as it may be, I actually enjoy watching it when nothing else is on and when Cartoon Network gets tedious *forgets to mention Wacky Races*

There's also the Japanese versions of Hoshii no Kabbii and Sonic X that's at least tolerable. The only gripe with both those animes in general: Unnecessary characters (HnK: Escargon; SX: The remedial Chris Thorndyke [-X ) Pretty pathetic that 4Kids butchered both English dubs, and the sad thing is that those were dubs that had potential, brough down by weewee-poor voice acting and (dear god) censorship overload.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I've been out of the scene for a VERY long time. (A year's a very long time when it comes to this...) :lol:

Anyway, I'm planning on getting some cash flowing back in, and I really need a hard drive for Windows Seven, which mean's I'll have some space on my computer for some TV shows...

I was in to Bleach, but kinda' lost interest after they got Rukia back. Any ideas on some shows I should find?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

If you like Bleach then I'm guessing you are more into action-oriented shows. Going by that, you should check out Code Geass, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and maybe Full Metal Panic. And of course Evangelion if you haven't seen it already.
Death Note is great too, but not exactly full of fighting and explosions.

You can click on my sig to look at all the shows I've seen with some mini-reviews. If you can, try to avoid the English-dubbed version of any show. Jap only plz.

Return to “General Discussion”