NFS 3: Hot Pursuit FAQ

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFS 3: Hot Pursuit FAQ

Post by SuperRacer »

Q: How do I install cars for NFS3?
A: Most NFS3 cars come packed in .zip files. You will need WinZip or a similar program to unzip these cars. Once you extract the contents of the file using WinZip, you will need to copy the included .viv file to a unique folder with 4 characters (for example, c320) which you have to create inside the Need For Speed III\GameData\CarModel folder. The location of your new car will then be \Need For Speed III\GameData\CarModel\c320\x.viv. Note: most cars come with readme files. Read them!!!

Q: My game stopped working after I added a car. How do I fix this?
A: You've probably added too many cars. The limit is about 50 cars including the original ones. Delete the extra ones and the game will work again.

Q: I have a great computer but the graphics are bad. How can I improve them?
A: Find the "3dsetup" folder in the folder where you installed NFS3. Run 3dsetup.exe. There should be two choices. Choose anything other than Software Render. Ignore the warning.

Q: How do I install tracks for NFS3?
A: To add a custom made track, first find the folder with the track you're going to replace in \Need for Speed III\GameData\Tracks\. Make backups (copies) of the files you will replace in that folder. Then extract the files from the .zip file you have downloaded into that folder, overwriting when asked. Note: most tracks come with readme files. Read them first!!!

Q: How can I take a screenshot in NFS3?
A: There are two ways to take screenshots. You can press Alt-P at any time and the picture will appear on your desktop. You can also press Print Screen (near the Pause button), start Paint, and paste the picture. Files created on the desktop by pressing Alt-P usually take much more space than files saved in Paint.

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”