Carmageddon Challenge

The news visible on the main page
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Carmageddon Challenge

Post by GT3x24x7 »

With only 50 slots and a purse totalling 1000 fat rep points, you'd better be damn quick with this one!! Make the meanest, nastiest death machine you can imagine and get it in pronto!! :D

Read the rules and enter
ViperGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperGT »

I"M THE FIRST POST YES

i'm entering this bloody battle I just read all the rules and am making a car now
Last edited by ViperGT on 04 May 2005, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Triskac
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Triskac »

ooooh what a pity i got my main PC broken :P i am really looking forward to see ppls' creativity in this one 8)
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Carmageddon Challenge

Post by ^Sparco^ »

GT3x24x7 wrote:and get it in pronto!! :D
:shock:

Spanglish? lol

Pronto = soon
Pigbenis
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Pigbenis »

ViperGT wrote:I"M THE FIRST POST YES
I'M THE FIRST ENTRY! YES!
^Sparco^ wrote:Pronto = soon
Snart = soon

^^
Janx14
Professional
Professional

Post by Janx14 »

i entered...as the second :(
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

So far... 3 received, 2 rejected. Follow the rules *exactly* ppl!
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

that's it GT, keep it up, rejecting all those cars.... I bet your have a whale of time declining those pics that don't follow the rules :lol:
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by master m »

I'm gonna build me a "Carmageddon-Car" immediatly :D .
I don't want to miss this Challenge
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Sir Ibi wrote:that's it GT, keep it up, rejecting all those cars.... I bet your have a whale of time declining those pics that don't follow the rules :lol:
Well, to be honest it's kinda disappointing. i spent a lot of time on those rules trying to make things clear and easy to understand. Ah well, cest la vie! :D
jemc
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by jemc »

i'm in. :twisted:

i entered every challenge except for the Ugly duckling and the Ricer challenge
Janx14
Professional
Professional

Post by Janx14 »

am i rejected? :|
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

GT, were you the one who made the DEMO car? It looks damn ferocious! Nice example! 8)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Newp. You can thank Dragster for that work of art! :D
Sir Ibi
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Sir Ibi »

perhaps dragster could've entered that demo car in the comp, unless he's got an even better car... for the comp
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

NEWSFLASH!!

Ok I'm gonna recall some cars I knocked back. After taking another look at the rules, especially this bit...
The car should have all performance parts installed, because you're not making a nice car, you are making a pedestrian killer and a rammer this time. You should try to show the voters how powerful your car is.
I've decided that it's not clear enough about *which* performance parts you need to fit. Therefore, if I knocked back your car because it had level 2 brakes or something wasn't level 3, I'm now prepared to accept it.

Of course, if there were other problems, like your layout was wonky or whatever, you'll still need to fix that. But from this point, as long as you actually have the performance parts fitted, that will be ok.

Note that this rule doesn't apply to visuals and body - only performance parts. If you want a stock hood, that's fine.

Sorry for the mixup ppl. I've fixed the rules up now to clear any confusion.

GT
8)
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 04 May 2005, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
ViperGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperGT »

Man now i have to start all over :lol:
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

I already entered my car with lvl 3 brakes, which are IMO horrible. And what if people downvoting my car because of that brakes? :(
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

If they appreciate performance (which they should do in this challenge) they won't.
I'm not entering the comp, I feel freshed out after the democar :oops:
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I'd just like to say that these new rules suck IMHO - sorry GT. I entered a car, and didn't even get an email back saying it had been rejected, so I assumed it had not been uploaded properly. Did it again, finally got an email with the reasons why.

Now, in the rules, it said show your car is fast - but you can't put the stats panel in?

I don't have access to Photoshop, I only have MSPaint - the rules mention something about "layering" WTF that is - Paint doesn't do it!

I'll have one more try. :roll:
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Darren, please check http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 623#100623 for info on how to use the templates with MSPaint. You're right, you can't work with layers (different images overlaying/overlapping each other) in Paint, but you can still get the right result.

To explain the rejection, the rules state that the car images must be straight from the game and not edited in any way. Adding the stats panel to your screenshot results in an image that could not be captured in the game, hence it is edited and breaks the rules.

Sorry, but know that there have been a huge number of rejections so far in this comp.

With regard to the missing first email - I've heard this from a few ppl in recent challenges. There might be a problem with the comp scripts, or it might just be that the first message turned up in your junk mail folder. That happens to me sometimes anyway.

Finally, you're certainly entitled to your opinion about the rules, and I respect that. However I think that we'll see a very fair and equitable challenge this time, purely because of those rules. Anyways, once the comp is done, we'll have a vote about them and decide where we go from here.

GT
8)
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Cheers GT - I now see where I was going wrong and won't make the same mistakes again!

I appreciate that it will make rating a lot fairer (especially for those of us who have very little artistic talent!) and support anything that levels the playing field. It just now takes me twice as long to prepare a submission, as I have to keep resizing everything to fit (it's trying to get the crop size to that last pixel which is soooo infuriating - 391 x 195, no, 392x194, no, 390x196 - aaarrghh! etc), whereas before I could just cut and paste so long as it looked alright.

Oh well, I know how to do it now. For anyone else having problems with borders, all I did in the end was save the template as aN 800X600 BMP file, then cut and paste the ingame images on top of the template in MSPaint (I didn't read the link, but I will check it out!). Then save the new image as a BMP and convert it to a 100% Quality JPEG with MGI Photosuite (because Paint seems to mess up the conversion process, and I found I had this piece of software free with a PC Plus magazine! The only thing I couldn't work out was how to cut and paste one image onto another with Photosuite, so I will stick with this 2-part process in the future!)

Good luck to all you other entrants on this one.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Here's a tip - get the selection roughly in paint at 100% zoom. Now zoom in to 'large size' to finely adjust the size of the selection. You'll find you get much better control and can select stuff precisely. ;)
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

DarrenR21373 wrote:I appreciate that it will make rating a lot fairer (especially for those of us who have very little artistic talent!) and support anything that levels the playing field. It just now takes me twice as long to prepare a submission, as I have to keep resizing everything to fit (it's trying to get the crop size to that last pixel which is soooo infuriating - 391 x 195, no, 392x194, no, 390x196 - aaarrghh! etc), whereas before I could just cut and paste so long as it looked alright.
I know what you mean. I spent one hour on my screenshots, but I made it a bit difficult for myself by using 1280x960 in the game... My solution was to use 2 MSPaint windows. I opened up the screenshot in one window, and cut out a part of it. Then I opened the template in a new window, and pasted it in there... Then I saw approx how much I needed to reduce (using the zoom), removed the cut out part, fixed it in the first window, and copied it to the template again. It took some time, but I managed to get the right size. This was just my first try tho, hopefully I won't use that much time on my next try :wink:
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

LOL my templates.... Im kinda "proud" ... ^_^

I always play at 1024x768 and it is the perfect resolution.

Anyway I think the bigger the better... use 1280x960 and then resize. Unless you are too lucky you will need to resize some pics...

Edited: This tip could be useful... to get a pic with a certain ratio, follow the visual instructions in the attached pic :D There Im cropping a 792:360 ratio pic.
Attachments
RATIO1.jpg

Return to “News”