Any real tuners?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

I know your not, its just kinda weird you were calling me TunerFreak.
HashiriyaGDB
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HashiriyaGDB »

Who here went to the filiming of Best Motoring's American Touge 3 at Willow Springs Raceway on the 20th? Mine's was there with their R34.
"The 86 is a car that trains its driver." - Bunta Fujiwara
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

There are some post about this elsewhere on the forum, but this seems like the appropriate place to round things up...

The thing being my pet project an 'el-cheapo' fix-up of a 1977 Toyota 1000 pickup (aka the smallest pickup in the world). It all started back in 2001 when I got my hands on one, though in a pretty bad shape (see picture 1). At that time I wasn't going for a full-on repair, just to clean it up and road-worthy. This however changed over the years, and eventually lead to full disassembly and total refurbishing. At the moment I'm on reassembly phase with the interior almost done and moving on to mechanical.

Picture 1:
The original state, pretty horrible particularly the interior.

Picture 2:
Disassembled, stripped and painted. I got a lot of praise for my choice of color, it really makes the car pop.

Picture 3:
All done, the first time around. I forget who it was, but someone immediately dubbed the car "Tweety" so I figured what the heck....make it so, and added decals.

Picture 4:
What really pushed me to fully fix the ride was the fact that I found another one. Though that one was beyond repair I could get a lot of spare parts from it. So of to work it was, and a lot of work. Some of the chassis parts were so badly rusted that I literally had to tear them off. Look at the end of one the rear leaf springs, a good bit of the floor panel had to come off with it... After I got it down to nothing it was time for metal work.

Picture 5:
Without a doubt the most labour intensive phase, the undercarriage. Took me three months to clean away the old crud manually, with lots and lots of sandpaper and an angle grinder. Took about three hours to get it re-coated though...(on the rightside).
Oh, safety first, wouldn't you agree ;)

Picture 6:
Back from the painter, a thing I lack the skills (or tools) to do myself. The color looks a bit pale here, but it actually is the same as before (my phonecam doesn't do colors well...) Tipi is Tweety in Finnish, btw, in case someone wonders.

Picture 7:
New interior going in. This time around I threw some money at it and got seats matching the colorscheme and refurbished the dashboard to yellow aswell. Quite an improvement compared to the original or even to the one I did before.

To be continued...
Attachments
New interior going in to place.
New interior going in to place.
Freshly painted, again...
Freshly painted, again...
Safety first....riiiight
Safety first....riiiight
Disassembled...completely
Disassembled...completely
All done and Fixed, at that time
All done and Fixed, at that time
Stripped and painted back in 2002
Stripped and painted back in 2002
The way it was originally
The way it was originally
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

DUDE ! nice little truck you have there is that a 4 spd ? or 5 ? post some pics of the engine :D
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I will, when I get it back together again...

It's 4-speed, though I would prefer 5-speed. I already have upgraded the engine the first time around (from the stock 1.0 litre to 1.1 litre...whoo) with bigger carbs and what not. Which meant the gear ratios were all wrong... fourth gear in at around 65 km/h....top speed at about 160 km/h, you get the idea of how loud and how high the revs at that point.

I have adjusted the ratios to as long as they go this time around. I consider putting in a 5-speed box but that would've required me to move the shfit and the e-brake back about 10-15 cms. Which would've been enourmous work (you can see from one the stripped pics, there's a support beam exactly 10-15 cm back from where the shift is now, I would've had to cut in to that....not a good idea).

I'm also refurbishing the engine some more, some of the parts are being cleaned and repainted. I've got new pistons and a cylinder head ready along with a lighter cam shaft and new crankshaft. That should give me some more muscle.
Attachments
Some assembly required...
Some assembly required...
Last edited by vellu on 23 Feb 2007, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

a 1.1 L ? damn thats small how much fuel economy does it get ? is that a 4cyl. or 3 ?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

4-cyl, and yes it's economical considering the car doesn't weigh anything, about 750kg. And it's TURBOCHARGED, yes I was able to fit that in there (doesn't look pretty, but who cares).

This is how it used to look like. I haven't dynod it but I'd estimate it put out somewhere around 65-70HP, which ain't bad considering the original stock 1.0 was rated at 40HP. We'll see what the new parts will do.

Oops, forgot the attachment...EDIT

EDIT2: Dunno if I'm going to put the turbo back...I believe that's what ruined the pistons in the first place...The block just ain't built for that much pressure
Attachments
WooHoo!
WooHoo!
Last edited by vellu on 23 Feb 2007, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

dude thats sweet lol how much boost were you running about ?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

As little as I could... :) I knew it wasn't going to be able to take much. Barely 1PSI max, could've been more but I wasn't about to blow out just to find out how much...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

1psi or 1bar?
Task for tonight? Finding a cylinder head for my ****************** which can take 2 BAR of boost AND a stroker kit without eating itself.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Dont go too thick on the head gasket when you replace the head. We tried a 2mm on a Stage 3 SX and it was awful, the 1.6mm was just as safe and a lot nicer.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I've already got 1.6mm gasket ready ;)
Ajex
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Ajex »

Let me get a car and sure I'm a tuner. ;)
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Progress report:

Engine compartment cleaned and painted, open for business. Engine block (and tranny) are out for refurbishing, since I don't have proper tools myself to do it well enough.
Attachments
And now.
And now.
A couple of weeks ago...
A couple of weeks ago...
RSZETEC
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RSZETEC »

Nice project, ive always like muckin about with smaller engines i.e 1.1s to see what you can get from them, im actually quite tempted to buy a spare engine for my gfs car(1.3) and build it up witha turbo cos ive got a spare turbo sitting around here. makes a nice change from everyone saying just get a bigger engine
ZOMBE
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ZOMBE »

I mod my car, all parts on my car along with pictures can be found at http://www.dodgestealthautomotive.com , not into the whole rice with the body kits, wings and shiznit, to me anybody who does that just dont deserve a car.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I just had a look
You've got bugger all mods which actually make any difference, and what's the point in building a drag car with ICE?
Also, if you want performance why dont you dump the 3.0TT from the UKDM 3KGT in, instead of spending money on filters, plugs and a custom exhaust?
ZOMBE
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ZOMBE »

lol cause im doing a single cam on puprose, could of bought a vr4 or rt tt but choose to go with the 3.0 sohc. what ive done worked so far, spent less then 100 bucks on a custom exhaust thats just as good has a 800 dollar borla system, hell if the borla has cats mines better cause I got no resonators or cat converters. I could of used some backpressure from the cats but I noticed a bigger difference without them in the 1/4 mile then I did with them.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

So it's illegal, then?
You could have probably bought a second hand TT engine for not much more than what you spent on ICE. I don't see the purpose in doing the lowest, bog-standard version when it's going to cost thousands to get it anywhere near the performance of a quicker one, unless your doing an engine transplant, but then why would you modify (abeit lightly) the stock engine?
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

According to your website the car is planned as a Road legal car. as far as I know replacing athe exhaust with a custom (open) exhaust without a CAT it's no longer a roadlegal car.
MasterGT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MasterGT »

I'd like to have a silver Skyline with black rims. CF hood and spoiler,and last but not
least some awsome performce! :twisted:
*sig removed for being too big. limits are 550x120px (including text) & 50kb.*
ZOMBE
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ZOMBE »

I have no emission tests in Alabama, so any illegal mods that wont be noticeable to police wont be a problem. My headlights also have an illegal mod done to them, but I want the sohc engine cause its the underdog engine, which is capable of producing as much power as the dohc engines can which has been proven by a guy with a sohc single turbo stealth running 10s.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

you can always get a high flow cat. it is still straight through but when cops look under your car it looks like a cat
ZOMBE
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ZOMBE »

Still get better performance cat less then with a high flow cat. Cops where I live dont check, I even know a cop car here with kicker amps and everything installed in it. I know they can fine the hell out of you and make you get it fixed but until that happens then im not gonna even worry about it. If its not noticeable then ill do it, but obviously I wont drive around with only headers or nothin. I'm just curious to see the full potentional of the 3.0 sohc engine, not into the whole rice shiznit with the body kits, spoilers and etc, to me their just funny to laugh at and look horrible.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

darknight788 wrote:you can always get a high flow cat. it is still straight through but when cops look under your car it looks like a cat
A high-flow cat is not an empty shell, darknight :roll:

Return to “The Cars”