wut is overclocked?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

wut is overclocked?

Post by all4spl »

please tell me specificly..
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Running a device at higher clock rates then it is designed for. Typically CPU or a graphics card.

CPU's are overclocked from motherboard BIOS (increasing the BUS clock most commonly). Graphic cards are overclocked via software/drivers.

For example a 2.0 GHz CPU could be running default at 200MHz (the BUS clock) times ten. To overclock one would increase the bus clock to for example 210MHz, which would give a CPU clock of 210x10=2.1 GHz. A 5% increase.

Overclocking tends to increase heat production so upgrading the CPU or grapchis card cooling is almost always necessary for successful overclock, atleast when overclocking relatively high.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

But what does it do actually? Any advantages using it?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Andre_online wrote:But what does it do actually? Any advantages using it?
You're kidding, right? Performance increase, of course.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

No, I ain't kidding. I know nothing about this... OK, so there're pros and cons using the overclocking thingy, right?
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

OMG quote of the century!!! :lol:
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

can u overclock ram?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Yes.
Andre_online wrote:No, I ain't kidding. I know nothing about this... OK, so there're pros and cons using the overclocking thingy, right?
Pros:

Faster.

Cons:

More heat and instable if clocked too far.
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

can u overclock ram?
The bus speed Vellu was talking about is the speed at which the processor and memory communicate, so in order to overclock the processor(CPU), you'll HAVE TO overclock the memory cause else it will bottleneck the CPU and you will have nothing after all. So yes you can overclock RAM. But be careful, the memory can get damaged very quickly, believe me, I experienced it :lol:
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

ok im not gonna test it..
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

all4spl wrote:ok im not gonna test it..
Chicken. :P It's not as bad as all these people say. If you overclock your videocard and it's too much, it won't blow up or fry. It will either cause the computer to freeze or you will see "artifacts" or strange shapes flashing during a game. Then you know it's been clocked too high. If you do leave it that high even though it's obvious that the video card can't handle it, it will fry the video card but there are signs way ahead of time that let you see if the video card can handle it.

I've over-clocked the GPU many times, sometimes to the max and I've never experienced any problems.
EuroRacer
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by EuroRacer »

Why do you call him a chicken??? It's his decision, and I don't want to be made responsible for broken hardware! You don't seem very experienced with overclocking cuz it's very easy to fry a graphics card... :roll:
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

It's not hard to damage a graphics card. You may not see the results instantly, but if you leave it overclocked substantially without any cooling upgrades, you will most likely see the effects in a few years when the capacitors start to bulge and leak.

The hotter electronics run, the lower their lifespan is ... Overclocking increases heat ... Simple logic suggests that overclocking reduces the lifespan ...

Anyways, overclocking a little is usually pretty safe (depending on your hardware), just make sure you're careful and don't go overboard ... Even with a 5% increase in clock speed, it's still a noticable difference in performance ...
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

well how do u overclock? i might buy some cooling stuff
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

For CPU, go to BIOS (during boot up usually press F2) and find the section that handles CPU voltages and frequencies. Increase a little, run some tests (try to find something very intense to do, point is to find out what is the maximum stress it can handle) and see if the system is stable. Increase some more until your system starts to crash and decrease back a notch. You should now have a cpu tweaked to maximum it can handle.

For graphics card, depends on the model. A program called Powerstrip is a good place to start. It can handle most cards, though some programs made specifically for some particular model might be more efficient on the long run. Same thing goes: increase untill you start to see corruption in the graphics or otherwise unstable behaviour.

Get it here: http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Most computers I've worked on use the DEL key to enter CMOS at startup, so if F2 doesn't work, try DEL ...

I use Rivatuner to overclock graphics cards, which is more user-friendly, IMO, than Powerstrip ... May be a better option for novices ...
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

well im a biggening and i want to make my computer run faster. i dont care about graphics cards, so how do i make it faster?
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

Maintainance, basic tweaks, and overclocking is a good start to make your computer run faster ...
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

im using windows 2000 pro
GINIX_2007
Professional
Professional

Post by GINIX_2007 »

I over clocked my Duron 1.59GHz to 1.98GHz and it ran fine for a few weeks. One day i turn on my system and it would not boot it went as far as the windows XP start screen then it blacked out now any time i try to over clock it it does the same thing
all4spl
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by all4spl »

o then im not testing it at all
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Overclocking isn't that crazy dangerous that your system will instantly fail.

Look up some guides with Google.
RenoVado
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RenoVado »

for my video card the deafult is
Clock(MHz) 300/350

i currently have
Clock(MHz) 430/455
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

clocked my 1GHz AMD 1600 to 1.6GHz, to make it like a 2600. (XP)
RenoVado
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by RenoVado »

well my pos cpu is hard locked... 2.0 ghz to 2.3

Return to “The Hardware & Software”