NFSC PC Demo Review - Post yours here

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
Leftos
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Leftos »

Dazz wrote:I just tried it on a 5700 (max'd) and it works fine :/ runs better than any other need for speed game.
Yes, because obviously even on max the game has already turned off some certain graphical features, due to your card not supporting them.
I don't use pwned. I use BSODed. It's less cool and harder to say. I know.
Picc84
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Picc84 »

Is the demo worth downloading? and were do I download it at?
spike_minoda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by spike_minoda »

I just tried it on a 5700 (max'd) and it works fine :/ runs better than any other need for speed game.
You mean a GeforceFX 5700 , well that card only have shader model 2.0 , not sure if it can run NFSC at max though , also i've said before that actualy motion blur is not so heavy ,but it's the special effect that come along with it like depth of field blur , screen blur...etc , those effect and motion blur have the same switch button (that suck). So if u turn motion blur off , you turn all of them off too. Your 5700 is a SM2.0 card so if u enable motion blur maybe it only have motion blur turned on while all the others effect turned off, that's why it runs fine (just my guessing)
Last edited by spike_minoda on 27 Oct 2006, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
????
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ???? »

whats with the shader setting, turning it from low to medium makes the game very laggy
Boosted420a
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Boosted420a »

lol man, even thought game is gpu hungry, i'm loving the drift. And muscle seem to dominate at it. Well, at least for my driving style.
Attachments
nfsc_demo 2006-10-27 16-23-32-85.jpg
spike_minoda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by spike_minoda »

OH MY GOD! u've got nearly 400k with the camaro ? my best try is 150K with the Evolution , i'm really a sucker at drifting :((
Boosted420a
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Boosted420a »

Hehe, i'm getting the hang of it. 400k+
Attachments
nfsc_demo 2006-10-27 17-13-35-39.jpg
Borak
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Borak »

i just ran the demo with everything low/off and it ran fine, doesn't look too bad either. i started out with the lambo, and was kinda disappointed. it didn't seem that fast. but i guess EA didn't put any performance parts on them. the lancer handled like most of the cars from MW. i liked the camaro's handling too, being able to powerslide around corners in the circuit race.

the canyon duel wasn't that great imo. i hated the handling with the lambo, it didn't turn as good as the other cars. but i'll probably get used to it after the game comes out.
Leftos
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Leftos »

I'm gutted. Utterly disappointed.

I've already cancelled my pre-order on this game, as it doesn't seem quite worth the trouble after trying the demo.

I'll give you my review, nonetheless.

Graphics & Performance: 1024x768, Trilinear, No AA. Lagging as hell. Rediculous performance and I'm on an Athlon 64 3700+ (@2.5GHz), 2GB RAM and a 7600GT. The graphics are... improved. Is it obvious? Not quite. The atmosphere is still right for racing (yes, night is when the street racing happens), but motion blur is seriously overapplied and the reflections on the cars are horribly shiny.

Sound: I'm not one to judge engine sounds, but the game in a whole sounds nice. I'd love some even stronger music during the Canyon Duel, but that's only minor.

Handling: During circuit and canyon duel? Way. Too. Easy. Doing the whole Canyon without the slightest of break and taking the sharpest of turns doing 70MPH is not even close to exciting. Circuit feels even more ridiculous because the lack of sharp turns will let you do a constant 90. That is, if you avoid hitting someone or something randomly. I just *love* the way traffic cars fly off as if hit by a train. Well, no, I don't. The worst part of handling is drifting. The new mechanism disappointed from the first moment I pressed the left arrow. Only meaning to take the first turn gently, my car was quickly horizontal and hitting the wall. If you go slowly, you'll probably be going from wall to wall, while if going faster, drifting gets much easier, and you'll be doing the whole lap again with a 65MPH average. The road while drifting really feels as if having no friction. The car's front goes from side to side like crazy, by just switching the arrow you're hitting. And I'm not talking about holding the arrow, I'm talking about hitting it, tapping it, call it however you like. Yeah. Not that good. Not at all good.

AutoSculpt: It shows a lot of promise, although the zones provided in this demo were quite limited. From what we've seen in videos though, the possibilities are many, so it's one thing (maybe the only) to look forward to.

Canyon Duel: Exciting? Yes. It was. Maybe the best part of the whole game. Trying to stick to the tail of your opponent sharp turn after sharp turn is nice. Nice enough? No. Not when I'm taking the turns doing 75. A stupid concept? Quite. No racer does this for points. The canyons could have been longer, much longer, and instead of two races it could be one race on equal terms.

Conclusion: LaPierre really knew what he was saying. He really made the impossible, possible. He really firetrucked a series that managed to appeal to an even wider audience with the introduction of tuning, customisation, and managed to please a lot with day racing and exotics in MW. The gameplay and handling itself is enough to ruin the whole experience.

Is the demo an actual representation of the full game? I surely hope not. Let's just hope that we have another Juiced case, and not forget that Smoothie had mentioned the priority the development team had given the full game. If you ask me, the demo may have been released rushed and unoptimized due to overwhelming community pressure. Farfetched idea, sure, but EA wanted to please the masses. And talking about Speed, that's all this game delivers. You must have a really serious Need For Speed to play this game, because you're going to receive a shiznit of it, and nothing else.

Once again, I'm utterly disappointed.
I don't use pwned. I use BSODed. It's less cool and harder to say. I know.
Tordenflesk
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Tordenflesk »

Leftos wrote:The canyons could have been longer, much longer, and instead of two races it could be one race on equal terms.
Look up togue racing/drifting on teh google. You'll see that it's a real form of racing. What you're describing would be pointless
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

so is there any performance tuning / optimizing parts in the demo ?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Nope..

Here are 2 pics, medium settings with MS Paint jpg quality.

http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c1ky2.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c2ti7.jpg
spike_minoda
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by spike_minoda »

The new mechanism disappointed from the first moment I pressed the left arrow. Only meaning to take the first turn gently, my car was quickly horizontal and hitting the wall. If you go slowly, you'll probably be going from wall to wall, while if going faster, drifting gets much easier, and you'll be doing the whole lap again with a 65MPH average.
he he that happened to me the first time i try to drift too , i suggest u switch to the Evo or the Camaro , they're better at drifting, the Gallardo is nearly impossible to drift though (at least for me)

btw, i dont think it's an old build of the game, coz looking at the version , it's 1.2 already !!! (NFSMW was released with it's 1.2 ver)
slaer07
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by slaer07 »

Tordenflesk wrote:
Leftos wrote:The canyons could have been longer, much longer, and instead of two races it could be one race on equal terms.
Look up togue racing/drifting on teh google. You'll see that it's a real form of racing. What you're describing would be pointless
What you have to understand is that the X360 had a much longer version of the canyon duel :?
And yes, I agree that the demo was a huge dissapointment. The graphics are worse than MW, but it runs worse?! Same with the handling.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

imo , demo for me runs even better than mw....just setting some options off like road reflection , AA and texture filtering to 0, make the game runs fast enough to set other things like world detail, shaders, car detail and blablabla to full!!!

idk what's going on with powerfull pc's!!
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

xturbo wrote:imo , demo for me runs even better than mw....just setting some options off like road reflection , AA and texture filtering to 0, make the game runs fast enough to set other things like world detail, shaders, car detail and blablabla to full!!!

You just said it, turning off all these options helps indeed, we are talking about FULL details..God, NFSMW is running with my 7600GT at 50+ FPS, i dont wanna play Carbon at 20 FPS or something :? , i havent tried it yet, but i'll post my review and the performance in the review thread once i do.
TheNoobofFerraris
Professional
Professional

Post by TheNoobofFerraris »

The Demo is nice, but a bit short.

Graphics

Well even though my framerates are terrible at max. settings, the Pc version looks really nice and clean. The reflections sort of remind me of Fast and the Furious, actually most of the city scenery does.

Car selection and Autosculpt
Your not going to get alot out of a Demo, but I loved using the Evo in all the races. The handling was really nice and I pretty much killed during the Canyon race. (I got infront fast) The Lamborghini sort of felt like a brick racing, and was a bit on the wildside with the graphics but it reaches high speeds in no time. The Camaro was the most fun when I could get in the straight area during the Circuit race. Three words: Acceleration On Straights.

Tracks/Gameplay
Well I want to start with the drifting experience first, it is BAD. I like how they changed the drift point mechanic, but the handling is like Burnout or something when you try to slide. At times it was easy to chain so many drifts together, but then it hurts when you drive a bit to wild, and hit the wall.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The crew member thing is nice too, I accidently crashed but he won the race for me. It also helps when someone is on your tail and you can get your blocker to spin him out.

The Canyon race was a bit of a challenge for me because I didn't have a controller on hand so, I probably would have won alot sooner if I didn't use the keyboard.

I guess thats it, just my opinion on it... but I know the full game will be alot more fun. :oops: Its usually easy to keep the lead, and follow behind but you have to drive PERFECTLY or you fall behind quickly. Also, I sort of drove off the cliff on purpose a few times. :lol:
Last edited by TheNoobofFerraris on 28 Oct 2006, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like this website is a ghost town. No longer worth a visit or anyone's time.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Skyline_man wrote:
xturbo wrote:imo , demo for me runs even better than mw....just setting some options off like road reflection , AA and texture filtering to 0, make the game runs fast enough to set other things like world detail, shaders, car detail and blablabla to full!!!

You just said it, turning off all these options helps indeed, we are talking about FULL details..God, NFSMW is running with my 7600GT at 50+ FPS, i dont wanna play Carbon at 20 FPS or something :? , i havent tried it yet, but i'll post my review and the performance in the review thread once i do.
k right, but what u want? if the demo is slow even with powerful pc's, dont u have to do some "sacrifices" to run carbon smooth???? :roll:
Darth Meatloaf
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Darth Meatloaf »

it's kinda funny how the ps2 demo looks way better than this and there are none of these problems :lol:

of course you are not running against 7 opponents, but the ps2 can handel it, like in midnight club 3
frankie123
Ricer
Ricer

Post by frankie123 »

wow... they didnt fkin optimized the game

amd opteron 165 dual core @ 2.4ghz

ocz platium edition 2gb ddr360 2.5-3-2-5

geforce 7900gt @ 580 1600

DFI LanParty SLi-DR

sux! its pretty smooth in game play but u noe when it close up with that dyke in the green rx7 talkin to u.... its laggy like 20 fps i think but other than that its fine... but i think when we are doin the 20 race war... it will suck balls
fastfart
Ricer
Ricer

don't like it at all

Post by fastfart »

physics is no where near MW. No sense of speed. lighting is pretty poor. My EVO passed the stupid opponent in canyon race within 5 secs at the first corner on my first go.
Picc84
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Picc84 »

This is seaming a horrible dissapointment, I'am realy downloading the demo because of the canyon drifts and stuff, I live for drifting!
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Hmm..i wonder how my 7900 GTX will do at carbon??? :mrgreen:
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

ok, i've just played the demo, and i can say its worse than the PS2 version :? , i mean, the other one had some real colours, the PC's are just so poor, even with having everything maxed out.

Lighting is damn poor, i cant even see where i am going. :roll:

and of course, performance issues, the game runs at about 35 FPS at menus and about 20-25 FPS in game with everything maxed out at 1024x768, the X360 version i can say rocks the PC version this year, last year, NFSMW PC version was almost like the X360's but this one is no way near it.

In brief, the demo is a big disappointment, and i really hope these issues are fixed in the final version but i doubt it.

some screens:

ImageImageImageImage
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

I cranked the graphics up to max and the game run beautifully . I was left speachless . I just cant wait till the full version comes out so I can play around with the graphics :)

Return to “Carbon”