Running the NFS:U interface at a higher resolution

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground.
MrCircuit
Ricer
Ricer

Running the NFS:U interface at a higher resolution

Post by MrCircuit »

Any of the hacker/tweaker guys know of a way to get the game to display the menus at a higher resolution in order to get better looking screenshots of your cars? Seems kinda silly that the cars look so fantastic in game, but in the "garage", where you can get a closer look at them, they're all jaggy. There's bound to be a config file somewhere to do this.
orvnahum_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by orvnahum_ »

id like that too but i cant hack the game only with my m4d html skillz :P
MrCircuit
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrCircuit »

Seems silly to me to force people to view the awesome car models in such a low resolution. :/
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

yea very true, but the thing is ive seen a guy with garage cars that lked as good as ingame graphics, he just bought a new graphics card so that could be a way to make it lk better.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Yeah, I was thinking of that as well.
MrCircuit
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrCircuit »

Uh, no. I run the game and a MUCH higher resolution than the game menus run. The cars look the same, they're just at a lower resolution. Upgrading my already top-of-the-line graphics card won't do anything about the garage resolution.
bronco
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bronco »

how top of the line is your top of the line card? im talking big bucks kinda stuff. i thought my Geforce 4 ti4200 was gd until like a million more cards came out that decimate mine so yea im sticking to the same reason, want more shine, pay more money
alexhull24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Menu resolution

Post by alexhull24 »

If you have a half decent card you can enable FSAA at about 4x. This gets rid of all the jaggies on the menu when taking screenshots, and in the game if you are not using motion blur or light trails, as both these options disable the FSAA. Also if you enable anistropic filtering at about 6x, there is a big improvement in visual quality ingame on the tarmac textures in particular. I use a radeon 9600 pro, which runs on high detail 1024x768 at a constant 60fps. Just some info....
orvnahum_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by orvnahum_ »

how can i check my fps ingame?
KekumRulez
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KekumRulez »

you can check your fps with fraps (http://www.fraps.com)
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

It's gonna be 30FPS. it won't go higher.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

without fraps the rate is higher..... man when fraps is running it slows the framerate down like crazy
alexhull24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by alexhull24 »

i think you are wrong UrQuattro:
60fps, and not a fake
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

excly..... got it onnormal 60 but with fraps running down to 30 wich sucks btw...
MeDiuMRaRe
Stock
Stock

Post by MeDiuMRaRe »

I'd like to see 60 fps posted during a gameplay shot.
alexhull24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by alexhull24 »

MeDiuMRaRe wrote:I'd like to see 60 fps posted during a gameplay shot.
Good enough?
alexhull24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by alexhull24 »

TheStig wrote:excly..... got it onnormal 60 but with fraps running down to 30 wich sucks btw...
I found that when i record a movie in fraps, i cannot even play the game the framerate is so bad. i'm trying to record a 25fps half size. My specs are P4 3.06GHz, 512mb ram, radeon 9600 pro, 120GB western digital 7200rpm with 8mb cache. What do you think the problem is?
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Lol, of course I meant with FRAPS!!! Sorry to confuse you. yeah, it's 60 usually.
MrCircuit
Ricer
Ricer

Post by MrCircuit »

how top of the line is your top of the line card? im talking big bucks kinda stuff. i thought my Geforce 4 ti4200 was gd until like a million more cards came out that decimate mine so yea im sticking to the same reason, want more shine, pay more money
You're still not getting it. I have a Radeon 9800xt and it has nothing to do with that. The game looks fantastic. I'm talking about the resolution that EVERYONE, despite how good or bad their graphics card is, has to run the menu system at. It runs much lower than I run it in game. That's what gives the cars the jaggy edges when compared to the graphics during gameplay.

If you have a half decent card you can enable FSAA at about 4x. This gets rid of all the jaggies on the menu when taking screenshots, and in the game if you are not using motion blur or light trails, as both these options disable the FSAA. Also if you enable anistropic filtering at about 6x, there is a big improvement in visual quality ingame on the tarmac textures in particular. I use a radeon 9600 pro, which runs on high detail 1024x768 at a constant 60fps. Just some info....
I have 6x FSAA on, actually, and it does cut down on the jaggies in the menus a little, but it doesn't eliminate them. It looks quite a bit better, but still not as good as during gameplay. It's just a goofy thing EA has done here and there's got to be a way around it.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Game is run at 800x600 in the menu, and it's GUI is limited to that. He wants to know if it can be forced to be the same resolution as the game itself runs, or to be more precise the highest possible resolution, say 1280x1024. I.e. when yuo take a screenshot of yuor car - it's no longer 800x600 but the same resolution that the game itself... So it's got nothing to do with the type of the card you have. All he wants is to know if someone who, for example made it possible to run the game witout the starting movie, can solve the resolution problem in GUI (Graphic User Inerface).
alexhull24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by alexhull24 »

i dont think it is possible to increase the resolution in the menus because surely EA would have enabled this if there wasn't some incompatibility problem with the menu buttons or something...

Return to “Editing”