Just a warning on many custom stuff in NFSU

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Just a warning on many custom stuff in NFSU

Post by UrQuattro »

If you have too much stuff installed in the game that's custom, i.e. all together vinyls, decals, and tire textures, the game may crash.

It happens to me a few times, since i have a lot of custom vinyls. I don't know what the reason is, because sometimes things work, and the next time they don't. I noticed it most with wheels.

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I thought I'd share it.

Of course the solution is to back up with original files from CD1.
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

thx for the info mate, it might stop us eventually getting flooded with "why im game crashing" questions.
alswimmer90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by alswimmer90 »

if you name the vinyl wrong when replacing one using bintex, that will cause the game to crash. happened to me before so i had to get the vinyls again off of cd1. The original name was HONDA_CUSTOM6 and you are supposed to replace with HONDA_CUSTOM_6.dds (notice the underscore before the 6) I forgot to do that so the game crashed.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

Yes, very true on the name. I though it wasn't important, and it works sometimes, but than all of a sudden it starts crashing, and EVEN BACK UP WON'T help. You'll have to reinstall... My Eclipse is locked this way. :( Well, i don't rave anymore, but still, sucks.
TNFS-baboo
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TNFS-baboo »

I had the same problem with custom decals. The game starts to have some ramdom crashes. I losted my profile on one crash.
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

thanx mate, i got one crach and i think its time for me to stop downloading new vinils. thanks again!!!
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

CUSTOM DECALS ARE THE BIGGEST REASON FOR CRASHES. I installed a few, and after a while, they seem to crash the game. don't know why, nothing I tried made it better, and frankly I don't give a rats ass anymore!
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

The reason of games crashing for custom stuff is thet you put better and bigger (in KB) stuff. You use high def. decals, or high poly cars (in other games), etc. so the game engine and your CPU and RAM, is crowded with more informatin thatn it can handle, making it crash.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

I have 1GB RAM. I doubt it's crashing because of that m8.
TNFS-baboo
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TNFS-baboo »

UrQuattro wrote:CUSTOM DECALS ARE THE BIGGEST REASON FOR CRASHES. I installed a few, and after a while, they seem to crash the game. don't know why, nothing I tried made it better, and frankly I don't give a rats ass anymore!
Sometimes the problem is that the decals are made incorrectly. Sometimes you be able to play with them, but some ramdom crashes happens. To see if it's ok try to export them after running the game once, if the file gives error on BinTex it's screwed(same with vinyls). Now I have something like 30 custom decals and the game is working fine.
itamkutet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by itamkutet »

or the decomprees tome too ... poco maybe tyre vinyls make the game crash boom bang ols from photoshop or bintex(beta) maybe ?
SilverPSG
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SilverPSG »

I have worked on level 1 vinyls , level 2, level 3 or unique... but never has the game crashed because of the name of the DDS file, and i really don't think that could ever happen. I have experienced crashes, but only because of bad editing. I haven't used custom decals that much, but i'm sure it's the same thing (more or less :))
americanwedding
Ricer
Ricer

Post by americanwedding »

i had no problems till i added urquattro's rally car for the lancer that is the only vinyl that i have in the game
Aschker
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Aschker »

look, the problem is indeed in the names, and that the size of the file is of influence is allso true. that you have 1GB of ram doesnt matter, the game is using an cache of only 50 mb or so to load levels. if i am not mistaking this is editable with winhex. it must be a string in the NFSU.exe. havnt tried it yet, but the games cache is the problem.
Last edited by Aschker on 25 Apr 2004, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by UrQuattro »

SilverPSG - you must be doing something right, that almost everyone is getting wrong, i guess.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

UrQuattro wrote:I have 1GB RAM. I doubt it's crashing because of that m8.
That's true, but: notice that your motherboard also has to manage all that. It's ok while you are doing it on small amounts, as thought by the game "manufacturer" (weird, but ok...). Now if you have CD, CPU, RAM, AGP, Sound, and lots of other stuff muving from here to there in exesive amounts, all that is gonna get stuck somewhere..., you see. It's not like that the only possible explanation, but it's at least on of them.

Return to “Editing”