NFSC Audio Updates

Need for Speed Carbon News (visible on NFSUnlimited.net)
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFSC Audio Updates

Post by Skyline_man »

Over at the EA Boards, Jesse from NFS Audio Dept posted some interesting info about the audio & sound updates in Need For Speed Carbon.
Just wanted to share what we've been up to on the NFS Audio team this year, specifically the new split engine/exhaust audio.

We've really spent a lot of time this year trying to get all the authentic cars in the game recorded, as well as even more aggressive sounding cars for a change in exhaust tone when you upgrade the performance of your engine. Not only do we have a ton of new cars recorded, but we also have added a new feature which is a seperate engine recording for every car in the game. What this means is that when you change your camera view, you should hear a distinct difference in exhaust and engine sound. This is also noticable on your opponent's and crew member's cars as they drive near you. You'll hear engine sound as they approach behind, which will change to exhaust sound as they pass by you. The effect is much better if you have a 5.1 surround setup, in which case you will hear your player car engine in the front and the exhaust in the rear surround speakers, or the AI racers coming up from behind in the rear speakers and transitioning to the front (or vice versa). Also, depending in wether your car is a front or mid/rear engine car, you will get an appropriate mix of engine/exhaust when you're driving in 3rd person camera.

Im really excited about the car audio this year and Im looking forward to hearing some feedback from all of you once the game is released in November (or after you play the demo).

JL
NFS Audio Dept - car engines
Vancouver, BC, Canada
There are some other interesting info posted there as well, here is a random quote:
The focus for new voices this year was on the crew members, not the Police. The Cops are defintely back but play a much lesser role then in MW. We wanted to spend our time this year on making the new crew feature as good as possible, so you'll get a lot of audio feedback from your crew member as you give him commands during a race. Having said that, the Cop AI has been improved this year, so although they're the same Cop voices, you should find them quite a bit smarter.

Maybe I can get our speech guy, Phil, on here to answer more specifically.

JL
NFS Audio - car engines
Check the latest info posted by Jesse by checking his topic at the EA Boards.

Stay tuned...
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Hehe..some more good news... :P

More detail, as it seems..has been added to the Engine sounds...
as well as better support for 5.1 speakers..

BTW I think someone else posted this first...crap..cant remember where though!!
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

t3ice wrote:BTW I think someone else posted this first...crap..cant remember where though!!
Here.

I just waited to have some more info before i post it.
skyliker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by skyliker »

too bad for someone who haven't 5.1 surround speakers
skyliker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by skyliker »

BTW I think someone else posted this first...crap..cant remember where though!!
i saw it first in nfsplanet
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Please don't double post, skyliker. Use the Image button to add the extra stuff to your original post.
Strafer
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Strafer »

Good, enginesounds are very important in racingames.
Danyutz
Donator
Donator

Post by Danyutz »

skyliker wrote:too bad for someone who haven't 5.1 surround speakers
why`s that, u can stiil hear the diff. between engine and exhaust, not so clear as 5.1 sp. but, it`s .. hearable :P
Zenith Mist
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Zenith Mist »

Fantastic, I love games that fully utilise 5.1 surround sound. And they are talking about the sound being more dubbed down when viewing "inside" of the car, can we expect a dash view? i hope so, i kinda miss that in NFS.
Athlon64 X2 4400+ (OC@2.5Ghz)
2GBCorsairTwinX 2-3-3-6
2x256MB Sapphire x1600XT Crossfire
!N$4N3
Banned

Post by !N$4N3 »

I think I have 5.1. sound system, so I'm happy :D
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

If this works out to be true, should be good. All I know is that the sounds in the videos that I've watched so far was really lacking.
nicolasmk2
Ricer
Ricer

Post by nicolasmk2 »

Good sound, good news.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

Very good news, hopefully sounds get better as they say...
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

That is the best news ive heard all week

I really really hope the Toyota Supra sounds better. :P

In NFS Underground 1 & 2 and Most Wanted they both sucked :(
krist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by krist »

Yeah 5.1 is very good in games, i've noticed it the most in Half life 2, god that game has good sound...

Btw i really hope they have the proper nice high pitched engine sounds for the lambos....
Druboe
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Druboe »

well, if we are talking about best car sound, then it will problably the muscle cars! god damn, that sure will be sweet, starting a v8 and just relaxe too its rumrumrumrum! :D
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

I despise the fact EA is treating this as a completely new feature to the NFS games. It really shows their absolute lack of care about their older titles. Heck, NFS4, released more than 7 years ago, already had distinct engine and exhaust sounds, and NFS5 went to the extent of having interior sounds, many of which were 100% authentic.

This is, indeed, good news, but must be treated by the community as a comeback, so we can show them we are paying attention to what they present to us and the way they do it in.
X-voltZ
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by X-voltZ »

Zpectre wrote:I despise the fact EA is treating this as a completely new feature to the NFS games. It really shows their absolute lack of care about their older titles. Heck, NFS4, released more than 7 years ago, already had distinct engine and exhaust sounds, and NFS5 went to the extent of having interior sounds, many of which were 100% authentic.

This is, indeed, good news, but must be treated by the community as a comeback, so we can show them we are paying attention to what they present to us and the way they do it in.
that's right....
i don't remenber very good but i think even nfs2 got real car sound...gotta replay it :D
Assymetrix
Ricer
Ricer
Location: cocpit of a multiration-turbo charged nissan 200sx s14a

Post by Assymetrix »

well 2.1 is enough for me

Also the 5.1 is too big for my room :D
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

never mind the news about the soundtrack was already posted
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

seems cool to me 8)

missed that in MW, though u could hear the difference from outside the car and from the inside..

another thing that gets a lot of detail 8)
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?

Return to “News”