How do you guys play NFS on PC?

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

How do you guys play NFS on PC?

Post by StreekG »

This year is a first for me, i finally have a good comp and my copy of Carbon Collectors edition is on pre-order for PC.

Now my question, having played the MW demo on the comp, i find it difficult to control cars as all you have are the arrows (you can't tap the arrow left or right as the car jerks) , theres no sensitivity for them as there is an analog controller on a consoles which seems a lot easier to play, can you change the sensitivity for the cars handling so it doesn't jerk so bad when going left and right on those straights and what not.
Or do the majority of PC players use steering wheels?

lock this if need be but yeah just curious how the majority of sales for NFS goto the PC version when the controllers on consoles make the game easier to play.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

You can't adjust the sensitivity of keys, but you van tap the keeps fast enough to make small enough corrections without jerking the car. It takes some practise, though. Or you could just get a wheel. :P
SomeKindOfMonster
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SomeKindOfMonster »

Yeah a steering/pedals setup is all I could use on PC. No control of speed on takeoff, making it really hard to get a perfect launch
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

Yeah drag races are hard on keyboard at take off... But the only steering wheels worth getting are the Logitech Driving Force Pro or better, i think they have made a new one with a proper manual shift and clutch, im not sure about that yet, i've only heard about it.

If anyone is reading this and you have a steering wheel setup postwhat you have so i can have an idea on what to get if i end up buying a wheel.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

I drove NFSU2 and MW with a Logitech Wingman fomula force GP, and im really satisfied with it.
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
Driv2Slow
Professional
Professional

Post by Driv2Slow »

i never use a wheel, mine doesn't work in U2. my computer says that the controler is installed and ready to work, but the game can't find it anywhere. whats the problem?
Driv2Slow
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Get a gamepad with analog sticks.
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

Hmmm yeah thats not a bad idea actually, but i think if i was going to spend the money i would opt for the steering wheel.
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

I have both a steering wheel and gamepad, but gamepad is better IMO. I'm not the type that takes a wheel.
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

PSZeTa wrote:Get a gamepad with analog sticks.
Logitech Rumble Pad II ftw! :D
cheap but goooood 8)
TRANCEnHOUSE
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by TRANCEnHOUSE »

Nfsu1,nfsu2,nfsmw i played with simple arrows :) and i was good :P
now im trying nfsmw with joystic with analog sticks.its good and i like it,especialy that i have USB prolongation so i can play with joystic in the bad :)
sorry for not good english...
Last edited by TRANCEnHOUSE on 16 Oct 2006, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

You play games in bath? :P
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

lol, I expect he means in bed..
TRANCEnHOUSE
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by TRANCEnHOUSE »

lol... :D :D
yes...i mean BED :lol:
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

I'll see how i play Carbon plays on the keyboard when i get it, then i'll start looking.
Driv2Slow
Professional
Professional

Post by Driv2Slow »

PSZeTa wrote:Get a gamepad with analog sticks.
ok, i will try that
Driv2Slow
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

I'm fine with using the keyboard, of course I would prefer a wheel however. The drawback to using the keyboard is that there's no pressure sensitivity, so launching a car right is nearly impossible (forget hitting a perfect shift off the line unless you're lucky). It also makes cop chases very hard for that reason. Even still, I can drive very well with the keys... as well as someone with a wheel. I wouldn't say no to a nice Logitech Momo wheel though :)
Firestran
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Firestran »

I play with the keyboard all the time and get perfect shifts at launch in drag races and cops chases in MW is no prob, you all just need some practice.
Jamaleni
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jamaleni »

Keyboard....
Boosted420a
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Boosted420a »

I use a PS2 oem gamepad. I have a usb adapter that works great. All the other PC gamepads I tried just didn't feel right. The PS2 gamepad is the best around IMO.
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

Firestran wrote:I play with the keyboard all the time and get perfect shifts at launch in drag races and cops chases in MW is no prob, you all just need some practice.
I should have added in, its very easy to do on Most Wanted. Doing it on Underground 2 is where you get some problems. It seems if you just jam the key down in Most Wanted from the line, you'll still be able to hit it after the car gets moving (usually shifting about a second after will hit it). Difficulty with the cop chases is that when you're using the KB, the gas is either all on or all off. This makes it really hard to get moving without spinning the tires. Sometimes I get caught just cause I can't get traction fast enough.
frankie123
Ricer
Ricer

Post by frankie123 »

i used to use the keyboard alot and my comp got fkd up when mw came out so i got a copy of it for ps2 so i got used to the controller and its great compare to the keyboard... i can control both really well but teh controller just feels better...

and i tried mw in xbox360 and the controller is great!!!! but i dun have 360 lucky that the 360 controller works in PC so i jsut got one for myself yesterday for carbon...

p.s gear up and down is the best thing to do with 360 u just shift up and down on the right analog! feels great and also theres a trigger for gas and break and u can do more percise brakin and gas-ing... with it...

grab it for 40 bux u wont regret it
SchuMito
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SchuMito »

Well I play my NFS games with the keyboard and it is damn comfortable. I found it realy hard to use the wheel. Maybe I could help you if I give you my controls for the game.

A: Accelerate
Z: Brake/Reverse
<Steer>: Steer Right
"Right Shift Button": NOS
"Space Bar": Handbrake
"Alt Gr": Gear Up
"Alt": Gear Down
"Right Ctrl": Look Back
"Enter": Speed Breaker

I use this configuration and I find it great. Try it and forget the arrow keys they are uncomfortable!
EVO_VIII
Drift King
Drift King

Post by EVO_VIII »

I'm not buying streering wheels.......
I just simply used keyboard to play NFS.......
Ceano
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Ceano »

Logitech MOMO Steering Wheel.

Return to “Carbon”