NFS-MW crashes to desktop after changing monitor

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Wanted.
Be sure to search first!
vee12
Ricer
Ricer

NFS-MW crashes to desktop after changing monitor

Post by vee12 »

Hi, NFS-MW has run almost flawlessly with me for over a year. But when I moved from a CRT monitor to an LCD, it just wouldnt run anymore. I get the "Windows has encountered an error... with speed.exe" message box every time I start the game.

When I last ran it on my CRT, it was on 1600x1200 res. My new monitor can only do 1280x1024. So I dont know if that has anything to do with, like maybe the old res setting is not being reset to the new monitors res, and thus crashing.

Anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

try hooking up your old monitor and changing the resolution in mw to something that the new monitor can handle then try the new monitor again
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Did you have any custom drivers installed with your old monitor? Even if you didn't, check to make sure your monitor is either getting identified as Default Plug and Play Monitor, or as its real name.
vee12
Ricer
Ricer

Post by vee12 »

Thanks for your replies guys. Solved it by deleting the old reg entries under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Need for Speed Most Wanted. Game ran perfectly afterwards, just had to re-input the lost settings. :D

Return to “Help & Support”