First car You ever drove or will drive.

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
the_omicron
Ricer
Ricer

Re: First car You ever drove or will drive.

Post by the_omicron »

yea, thats my plan, rally bk + nice rally style spoiler.. :D

and.. what rims should i use??
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Beats me, though I think rims with quite a few spokes would look good.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

For the all-out rally car look, you can't go past O.Z Superturismos 8)
the_omicron
Ricer
Ricer

Post by the_omicron »

i already have this in the garage
its from my old parent's car (it was a Honda City)

or should i buy this one ?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Definitely the latter.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

You're parents had a set of Racinghart CR rims on a Honda City? those rims are more expensive then the car....

But am I getting it right, you wan't to tune a Peugeot 405? sorry but I don't see the logic in that, it's a old car, and I doubt it's worth it to spend alot of money on... specially not expensive rims etc.
Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car to have as first car.. but still spending money on it...
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

I think my first car will be my father's car, an Opel Astra Classic II, it may be old when i will drive it but still better then having to buy a even crappier car of the time.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

i just drove a car on holiday :P and i'm 16

My dad's Renault Laguna Grand Tour 1.9 DCI...

(yeah, i know its an old, boring car, but we'll get the new Ford Mondeo somewhere in Q1 2008)

i drove like...5km/h, i only lifted the clutch, but i parked it anyway....
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

the_omicron wrote:i already have this in the garage
[RacingHart CR]

[Superturismo Rim]
How many inches are the CRs that your parents had on the Honda City? Because I can't imagine such large, chrome rims on a tiny Japanese car.
the_omicron
Ricer
Ricer

Post by the_omicron »

Porsche-AG wrote:
the_omicron wrote:i already have this in the garage
[RacingHart CR]

[Superturismo Rim]
How many inches are the CRs that your parents had on the Honda City? Because I can't imagine such large, chrome rims on a tiny Japanese car.
its 17" and its dark gray metallic, not chrome..
TheStig wrote:You're parents had a set of Racinghart CR rims on a Honda City? those rims are more expensive then the car....

But am I getting it right, you wan't to tune a Peugeot 405? sorry but I don't see the logic in that, it's a old car, and I doubt it's worth it to spend alot of money on... specially not expensive rims etc.
Don't get me wrong it's not a bad car to have as first car.. but still spending money on it...
ok.. maybe ill just buy the replica one(taiwan made :lol: ) theyre A LOT CHEAPER :lol:
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

I see, that's not as bad... but still not the best investment for a Honda City.
the_omicron
Ricer
Ricer

Post by the_omicron »

Porsche-AG wrote:I see, that's not as bad... but still not the best investment for a Honda City.
like this?? :)

http://www.autoblackthrough.com/images_ ... t493_1.jpg
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

And why would you do that to car like that? Its just as bad as ricing out a Hyundai Excel

http://www.spoilernet.com.au/sitephotos ... %20kit.jpg
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Yeah, that Honda City looks like the biggest waste of what, at least $20,000 in upgrades? That's more than the car is worth.

That Hyundai was ugly to start with, so I really don't have any comment to something like that.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Glopaticki wrote:And why would you do that to car like that? Its just as bad as ricing out a Hyundai Excel

http://www.spoilernet.com.au/sitephotos ... %20kit.jpg
Couldn't agree with you more...

I MIGHT be getting a really-cheap-for-what-it-is Celica ST184R. Looks in good condition, there's only a couple of very minor problems with it.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:I MIGHT be getting a really-cheap-for-what-it-is Celica ST184R. Looks in good condition, there's only a couple of very minor problems with it.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooonnonononono . . .

The ST184R has a Camry engine. 2.2L + 99kw@5400rpm = FAIL.

Get an ST162, they have proper motors. They also look better, weigh less, and they're more fun.
I used to have one, and Jacoja06 has one too. Therefore, 2 out of 2 Celica drivers recommend that you get an ST162 8)
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Yeah... the ST184 looks like a cheap Hyundai unfortunately.

While we're on the topic of purchasing first cars, I'd like to ask for any good suggestions (or no-no's for my choices) for my first car which I will be getting around August 2009. I'm not sure of my exact budget, but right now I'm guessing I'll be able to spend $15,000 - $18,000 CAD on the vehicle. Right now, I'm considering a 1-2 year old Dodge Charger, 2-4 year old Cadillac CTS, 6-8 year old BMW 3 series coupe, 3-5 year old Audi A5 Sport/Audi A4, or even a 2-3 year old Chrysler 300. I'm not looking for some ricemobile or a streetracing machine, I just want a fairly comfortable car that doesn't look like garbage and has fairly cheap repair costs and insurance (American cars unfortunately fit that category best).

Any suggestions?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Porsche-AG wrote:While we're on the topic of purchasing first cars, I'd like to ask for any good suggestions (or no-no's for my choices) for my first car which I will be getting around August 2009. I'm not sure of my exact budget, but right now I'm guessing I'll be able to spend $15,000 - $18,000 CAD on the vehicle. Right now, I'm considering a 1-2 year old Dodge Charger, 2-4 year old Cadillac CTS, 6-8 year old BMW 3 series coupe, 3-5 year old Audi A5 Sport/Audi A4, or even a 2-3 year old Chrysler 300. I'm not looking for some ricemobile or a streetracing machine, I just want a fairly comfortable car that doesn't look like garbage and has fairly cheap repair costs and insurance (American cars unfortunately fit that category best).
Any suggestions?
To be honest, it's far too early to decide what sort of car you should get.
Between now and August 2009, a lot of things could happen.

The only thing I can recommend at this stage is that you should buy a Japanese car.
European cars are not cheap to fix (unless you live in Europe). American cars are just rubbish.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

I don't know what you mean by "a lot of things could happen" because I'm sure that most of those things will be totally unrelated. Sure, a few cars may become discontinued and others will have minor updates, but I don't think it should have too large an effect on most mainstream vehicles I'm looking at because I'm purchasing a used one anyway.

I haven't ruled out Japanese cars but I'm not sure exactly what Japanese model would be right for me. I've taken a quick look at 1-2 year old Mitsubishi Eclipses and 1 year old Honda Civic coupes but there's more practical cars like the Honda Accord and even the Toyota Prius has entered my radar. If I wanted, I could also get something like a 3-4 year old Acura TSX, which would be comparable to the Cadillac CTS, and by the time 2009 comes around, the current generation Lexus IS might even become a possibility. There's also the Infiniti G35 and some Nissan models (Altima) to consider as well.

And about the European cars, that is why I'm not so jovial about purchasing one since I live in Canada. American cars are rubbish, and that's why only a couple of them caught my attention.
Last edited by Porsche-AG on 11 Nov 2007, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Porsche-AG wrote:I don't know what you mean by "a lot of things could happen" because I'm sure that most of those things will be totally unrelated.
You'd be suprised...

Besides, that much to spend on a first car? Your first car is meant to act as a crumple zone in between you learning to drive and realising your limits; it's meant to take a lot of abuse and be killed off quite fast.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

You've got a point. Though I'd expect when the time comes to buy it, I'd have enough experience with my dad's car.

Taking your point into consideration, I don't want to end up with a car that would need repairs every other week either. Unlike other first time car buyers, I actually plan to keep my car for awhile and treat it quite well. Apart from university commute, small errands, and social events every now and then, I doubt I would be driving the car to a lot of places.

Also, you'd be surprised at the kinds of cars some people get here when they turn 16. I've seen 2008 Mitsubishi Lancers, used BMWs, and plenty of tuners. Not to mention that people who wait a couple more years for their first cars get things like brand new BMW 3 series sedans and a friend of mine even got a fairly new 1990 Pantera GT5-S, which cost him over $170K. Obviously, I'm talking about fairly extreme cases, but it goes to show how crazy these people are.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

Not crazy just spoiled.
Dragster
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dragster »

@Porsche_AG: Don't be silly... Grab the first car which comes as a good opportunity (and by this I mean it can accelerate, maintain speed, brake, and steer). I mean, buying an Accord, or Civic coupe, or Toyota Prius for a first car is just plain dumb.

Also, owning a car that DOES have minor flaws isn't a bad thing when you're still learning to drive... You'll collect valuable knowledge repairing those tiny failures by yourself, it will come in handy in future, when no one is around to do the work for you!

Be smarter than those people who buy 2008 Lancers for first cars...

edit: BTW I drive my dad's Renault 5, and trust me I can afford a decent car alright, but I just don't want to yet. Also, I don't feel like driving my mom's Corsa C 1.4, I get nervous about scratching it on bushes, walls and all the other narrow road aside crap... Also it's bloody clutch is so soft :| :mrgreen:
chimpzrl
Drift King
Drift King

Post by chimpzrl »

One of the first things I did when I got my first car was to crash it. And I had been driving for a couple of years. Several of my friends have done the same thing. Fortunately, I bought it for $600 and all the crash did was crush a blinker and make some dents bigger.

Driving someone else's car is not really the same. You always drive with the knowledge that it doesn't belong to you. If the car is yours, you will do things with it you wouldn't do with someone else's. So definitely don't get something for your first car that you will miss terribly when you crash it.
Tsarg
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Tsarg »

The first car i drove was a brand new 1990 Toyota Starlet. I took 2 driving lessons from a cousin of mine in that car. However the first car i actually owned was a 1994 Century Buick.

I sold it and i was driving a 1993 Mazda Mx5 until i crashed on august 30th.

Now im in the process of buying another car although here in my country we have a lot of difficulties finding new cars at the dealers so i guess i will have to settle for a used car.

Cheers!!! :)
Dragin' is my crack!!!

Return to “The Cars”