ProStreet game: performance problems

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed ProStreet.
Be sure to search first!
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: ProStreet game: performance problems

Post by vellu »

kritdesign wrote:
prince1142003 wrote:4. Since you have 1GB RAM, set your paging file to anywhere between 3.5 and 4 GB. ProStreet is a RAM hog, and if you don't have enough memory space you'll get problems.
3.5 and 4 GB? what do you mean? you mean 3.5 MB and 4 MB?
The paging file should generally be about 2-2.5 times the size of your actual physical RAM amount. So for 1GBs of RAM, the paging file should be around 2.5 GB. Increasing beyond that does not help.

I would imagine that 1 GB of physical RAM isn't really enough for Pro Street (I have 2 myself, so can't really tell) and everytime you max that out your harddrive starts paging and you get the slow down for a bit.

For me I have zero performance issues with PS. Runs smooth as silk even with maximum settings @1600x1200, which oddly enough Carbon does not do on the same machine... (X2 5600+, 2GB DDR800, 1950Pro 512 MB)
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

ok thanks. the best solution i have in mind is to upgrade my pc.

do have any suggestion/tip which one i should buy.

could you give the specs. please... [-o<
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I have 1GB RAM with 3GB of paging file space. Trust me, ProStreet uses it all. RAM usage jumps to 100% and Page File usage jumps to 75% everytime I run ProStreet. There is either a memory leak, or the game is RAM hungry.

Still, the only stutters I experience are when the game loads for the very first time, and if I've run the game for more than two hours straight.
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

what if I change the paging file space to 3GB, will I run the game eventhough I only have Pentium4 2.4GHz? :roll:
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

kritdesign wrote:what if I change the paging file space to 3GB, will I run the game eventhough I only have Pentium4 2.4GHz? :roll:
Making the paging file bigger doesn't do anything (except use more harddrive space) as far as game performance goes (unless you had it set to a really small size). The size of the paging file has nothing to do with it's performance (which is always slow), there is just more of it to use if you increase it's size.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Actually, in a way you're wrong. The paging file has no direct impact on the game's performance, but it does allow for the operating system to clear up more memory as the game needs. For example, if the OS components take up 512MB of RAM, without a paging file, the game will only recieve 512MB of RAM to work with. But if you have a paging file, the OS can put all non-kernel services on the paging file, and free up a lot of space. Similarly, since the game keeps a lot of things in memory, if a paging file exists, memory objects that are currently not in use can be written to the paging file to free up RAM for the task at hand, which could be a race. So while there are no direct benefits from a paging file, there are benefits nonetheless.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I guess I should've been more clear then on what I meant as "really small". That is, smaller than what is sufficient to page necessary system tasks to the background to free up actual ram to the task at hand.

More to the point I meant, increasing from (for example) 2GB to 4GB does nothing, since 2GB is already enough to page everything.
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

vellu wrote:Making the paging file bigger doesn't do anything (except use more harddrive space)
ok. i have a spare 120gig hdd. i'll try to re-format it and install only the xp, mobo+driver, vcard+driver, update it, and the prostreet game. and try if that will work.

one thing i noticed last night, i set the paging file to 2.7gig and running the game resolution to 800x600 60hertz with 35gig hdd free space, and you know what i can now run the game but only for "Drag" in others like circuit, i cannot. my computer always put on hang. can you explain how that happens?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

kritdesign wrote:
vellu wrote:Making the paging file bigger doesn't do anything (except use more harddrive space)
i can now run the game but only for "Drag" in others like circuit, i cannot. my computer always put on hang. can you explain how that happens?
The drag tracks are much simpler than the other track types, as far as how much data needs to be loaded to get a "full view" of the track.

The drag tracks are small enough to fit into your physical RAM, hence no slowdown. But the other tracks are bigger and only a portion of the tracks fit into your RAM forcing the game to start paging data to the HDD page file, and on top of that loading the rest of track data that didn't fit right away. Which is enough to make the game freeze every it needs more data. Making the paging file bigger doesn't help any bit, since the problem isn't the fact that there isn't enough paging space; the problem is that the game/system shouldn't have to page at all...

(well atleast any bigger than =

1) the size of physical RAM, in order to fit all background and system tasks
+
2) the size of physical RAM, in order to fit whatever was loaded after all running task have already been paged
+
3) a little more for those insane tasks like heavy duty video editing...

which translates to 2 - 2.5 times physical RAM which also happens to be the windows default setting.)

What might help, if possible, is to have the paging file on a physically different drive than where the game is installed. That way the paging would atleast use its own drive mechanics and the game files would be read from the other causing less hdd head movement and thus possibly less slow down.
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

are u still having the problems with the crashing? iam still waiting for the patch or the graphic card update from HP :/
silverstreak-tc
Ricer
Ricer

Post by silverstreak-tc »

Yeah i have the same problem too i have everything on low and the game still runs like crap i have no problems running mostwanted or NFS carbon. Right now i have Asus A8N32 SLI deluxe wit amd x2 3800+ 2.0 ghz wit 1 gig ram and BFG 7600 gt overclocked. Right now im thinkin bout upgrading the ram wit corsairs xms and gettin another bfg 7600 gt overclocked but i dont know if taht will make any difference.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Hydro_PT wrote:Hi to all :). As you can see, I'm a new member around here. I usually visit this site regularly, but only registered now :mrgreen:.

So, let's go to the problem. Is the following: I played ProStreet demo and I had some problems running it alright. Even at 640 X 480, everything on LOW or OFF, I have some breaks on the game, which completely ruins my game experience :(. I thought this was because of the demo, so I didn't worried too much and I got ProStreet, the entire game. And guess what, it happens the same it happens with the demo. I can have good FPS and then they just drop and get high again, they drop again, the game has really some annoying breaks. And again I'm playing with everything on minimum :(. Before you ask, I have nothing running on the background, such as MSN or even firewalls blocking the game. My PC is cleaned from virus, spyware and all that stuff, it's not fragmented, I have the latest drivers for my graphic card and latest Direct X. All the other games I have run alright, even (and this is the most surprising) Crysis. I can run just fine Crysis, at 800 X 600, everything on LOW and around 30 FPS without breaks.

And yes, my computer meets the minimum system requirements to play Pro Street. I have a Pentium IV 3.0, the games asks for a Pentium IV 2.8. I have 1 GB of RAM, the game asks for 512 MB. I have an ATI Radeon 9550 Gamer Edition 256 MB with over clock (core is at 280 and memory at 250), the game asks for an ATI Radeon 9500 and I have about 80%of free disk space (my hard disk is 500 GB) and I'm running it on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

I tried everything so far, such as turn off anti virus, useless processes, everything. The game's performance doesn't change a bit. I don't really now why this happen, because I meet the minimum system requirements, I have no other things running on the background that could slow down the game so much and I can play all the recent games with decent FPS (Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and so on).

I already saw people having trouble running the demo and the full game, some have even better computers than mine and they can't properly play the game. As an example, a friend of mine has a computer just like mine, the only difference is that he has an ATI Radeon 9800 XT with OC too and when he is racing drag the game is just fine, and then, when he races grip or something, the game is so slow that it takes about 6 minutes to start a race O_o.

I would appreciate some help, if possible... by the way, did EA announced some kind of patch? Because this is really annoying me, I'm liking Pro Street a lot and I want to play it properly, since I now I have a computer that is able to do that.

Thanks in advance :).
I wouldn't expect too much if you don't meet reccomended requirements... but I exceed them with my PC. And a similar problem

Since I've installed NFS Prostreet, I've installed nopthing on my C drive and space has dropped from 13 gig to 10gig... Is it leaking some sort of tempoary file and leaving it there perhaps?

Also, no one's replied to my other thread:

I got NFS Prostreet installed it. Cranked the settings up (on full, I get 40FPS on the menu on highish, get 80FPS on the menu, on minimum - 150FPS) and went to race. I'm getting good performance on the menu as expected, but ingame, It struggles with 20FPS on minumum, and an nTune log shows CPU usage is constantly 100%. Even the film clips lag! In clean boot!

Now the thing is, I easily exceed the reccomended reuirements with a 3.2ghz P4 HT Northwood, 1.25gig DDR400 RAM, a 7600GT, and plenty of HDD space, with the game on a new, near empty HDD. So why is CPU usage maxxing out and the game running like shiznit? Oh... the page file is also 4gig on a separate HD to the game and OS.

Finally, how much do sound drivers have to do with this problem... they are a few months old, but cope with Crysis sound quality on high easily. Oh, did I mention TDU also has this problem? While Crysis runs at 40FPS @ med textures, med physics, high SQ, and med objects @ 1024x768? WTF?
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Lol... I forgot all about crash damage!
I get ~ 40FPS with it on low. Probably look great and run really well if I switch it off completely... it's not as if I can see it with hood cam.
kritdesign
Ricer
Ricer

Post by kritdesign »

vellu wrote:What might help, if possible, is to have the paging file on a physically different drive than where the game is installed. That way the paging would atleast use its own drive mechanics and the game files would be read from the other causing less hdd head movement and thus possibly less slow down.
ok thanks bro. got to check that.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

kritdesign wrote:
vellu wrote:What might help, if possible, is to have the paging file on a physically different drive than where the game is installed. That way the paging would atleast use its own drive mechanics and the game files would be read from the other causing less hdd head movement and thus possibly less slow down.
ok thanks bro. got to check that.
Obviously, this requires that you actually have atleast two hard drives, not just two separate partitions. Just to clarify.
silverstreak-tc
Ricer
Ricer

Hey guys i was wondering if any one can help me out. I ran the easy info and noticed that my AMD athlon 3800+ x2 dual core didnt meet the requirements and also noticed that it was only running on one processor :evil: can any one help me with that thanks. :lol:
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

You know what I'm beggining to think after reading the above post? Only running on one processor? Stutter in my friends' core 2 duo pcs (apart from the insane top of the line one)? The fact that many others are complaining about the performance on god PCs, yet the game is not the best looking one that I run... it's a bad port, which probably doesn't like dual core/ HT Pcs...

About the game running on one procssor... I assume you mean the game not the system; bring task manager up; applications tab -> right click prostreet and go to process, right click process and go to set affinity -> make sure both CPUs are ticked, if they are, right click and raise the priority.

Has anyone actually tried running this game when their HT processor is in single core mode? Some games don't run properly with HT on... namely NFS, TDU and some free open source games.

=edit: Lol... the dates still say 14-20-04... Broken forums eh?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Hmm, my system is a dual core Athlon64 X2 and I have never had any problems running ProStreet. I'm almost 90% sure that this has something to do with your particular setup rather than an issue with the game.
silverstreak-tc
Ricer
Ricer

right now i have some crappy ram called buffalo but its a 1gb stick. and a amd x2 3800 2.0 hgz and also i got 1 bfg 7600 gt oc and i was wondering if its worth buyin another bfg 7600 gt oc or udating my ram to a corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2x 1gb sticks??? or do both :lol: im pretty sure the processor is good cuz i run other games fine its just those 2 that im wondering bout.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

silverstreak-tc wrote:right now i have some crappy ram called buffalo but its a 1gb stick. and a amd x2 3800 2.0 hgz and also i got 1 bfg 7600 gt oc and i was wondering if its worth buyin another bfg 7600 gt oc or udating my ram to a corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2x 1gb sticks??? or do both :lol: im pretty sure the processor is good cuz i run other games fine its just those 2 that im wondering bout.
It's not so much the "speed" of the RAM that will help, but the amount. 1GB just isn't enough to run PS smoothly, 2 will do the trick.

7600GT should run the game well enough, but perhaps not at maximum settings. Atleast not at a high resolution.
silverstreak-tc
Ricer
Ricer

Oic yeah i was thinkin bout investing on the corsairs and also i want the game to run on full settings :twisted: so i might want to get another 7600 gt oc hehe just for the heck of it but i will definately get the twin corsairs 8) . thanks
SlickVic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by SlickVic »

iam still waiting for this stupid patch. EA U SUCK. its been almost a month.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Patches doesn't really get released that fast.. :?
silverstreak-tc
Ricer
Ricer

Man i just 2 gigs of ram and the game still runs ok but not good enough but now i think ima get DUAL 7600 gt oc hehe and if that doesnt then damn i dont know :?
????
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ???? »

is the performance better in the full game than the demo?

The demo was very laggy for me with Q6600 @ 2,55GHz, 2gb RAM, Asus 8800gt 512mb.
Shouldn't the game work fairly well on my computer?

Return to “Help & Support”