Just want to talk? Come here.

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
speed_man
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Just want to talk? Come here.

Post by speed_man »

What he said^^^ :lol:
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:I don't see what harm having one car per person is; it's not like they're all being driven constantly. If you have two people going two different places, you take two cars - if you have two people going to the same place, you take one car.
True, especially if you live in the country like me, where you can drive as much as 30+ miles just to school. Your own car is almost a must where I am, especially having to drive so far to and from school, year round. Now if it's something close like going downtown for some reason, I'm more than happy riding my bike. :P

While we're on the topic of cars...

I WAS 4 POINTS AWAY FROM PASSING OUR STATE TEST!!! ](*,)
That's almost impossible... our Driver's Ed teacher has been teaching for around 37 years, and has only had 5 people pass it. EVER.

If only I knew you actually DO look over your shoulder to check your blind spot. #-o
(Probably the only thing I've really learned lol)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Carcrazy wrote:If only I knew you actually DO look over your shoulder to check your blind spot. #-o
Well there's no other way to check your blind spot, so what were you doing?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Well actually, the Escape has a blind spot mirror, so it never came to mind. :-k

Anyway, since I have to have the Escape to a point where I'm comfortable enough to take the test in, I guess that Xbox money is gonna' go into it.

Eclipse CD3200 Bluetooth Head Unit Anybody?
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:I don't see what harm having one car per person is; it's not like they're all being driven constantly. If you have two people going two different places, you take two cars - if you have two people going to the same place, you take one car.
Amazingly I agree.

My mom and bro both work at the same lab so they both go together in the same car.

My sister drives in a different direction and time to a different lab so she takes her car.

My dad drives to work at 4 in the morning with his car.

1 car per person in the family = pure win.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

Do you live in the countryside or something?
No public transport?
And you just said that your mom and brother use the same car to go to work.. So why do they both have their own cars?
How long are the trips to work?
I don't think it's ok to have a car just because you can but I guess I'm a bit of a hippie by heart.
It's always a waste if there's only one person in a car.
Only way I'd agree that you need 3 cars (not 5), if the trips to work were long enough and the public transport system in your area doesn't work.
lol wut
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Pabl0z wrote:And you just said that your mom and brother use the same car to go to work.. So why do they both have their own cars?
Because you go to places other than work as well? :-k I find public transport here (NL) to be expensive and slow, so I'm not a fan.

And did anyone see the opening of the Olympics? Very impressive, imo.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Carcrazy wrote: I WAS 4 POINTS AWAY FROM PASSING OUR STATE TEST!!! ](*,)
I never knew it was possible NOT to pass a driving test in the US.
See you learn something everyday.
Carcrazy wrote:Well actually, the Escape has a blind spot mirror, so it never came to mind. :-k
A blind spot mirror only reduces the blind spot, and in the case of SUV's wich have a blind spot the size of Jupiter, a reduction isn't all that bad to have.
Pabl0z wrote:YOU HAVE 5 CARS?
Why in the world?
To be honest in my house there where at 1 time 3 cars on 2 people. :-#

Mine:
- Toyota Corolla Verso D-Cat diesel 2007 (before that a Peugeot 206 HDI)
- Honda Civic Type R
GF:
- Toyota Yaris 1.3 2004

I use the Verso for work (driving lessons) so I use it every day for over 200 Km for work only.
The Civic is for private use, and the Yaris was my GF's car already before we got together.

The Yaris is now sold, because there was always 1 car standing still and often even 2, because my girl works faily local and does most by bike if possible, even though she isn't a huge fan of the Civic, we sold the Yaris recently.
Because we could get a very nice price for it, and 1 had to go.
But because she finds the Civic to be too hard on the suspension, and thus not very comfortable, the Civic will not stay for long and will be replaced by something abit more comfortable and easier to use.

In all fairness if I can I use my bike, for travel within the city I prefer my bike, it's in most cases faster, better for me and the enviroment, and most important, I like going by bike.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Dude, almost no-one passes that test, since they never let you see a book or anything like that to study/read. It's 200 questions about 'advanced' driving techniques based off your own knowledge. If you pass it they don't require you to take the classroom course, which is the point of the test.

And dude, I'm 14... I know a heck of a lot for my age, sorry if I had to learn one thing in a class. :?

And BTW: I agree with you on the SUV bit, which is why I really didn't want one, but with the economy the way it is, it's about the only car I could get. (It's my brother's old car, which couldn't make the trip to and from his college.)
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Pabl0z wrote:Do you live in the countryside or something?
No public transport?
And you just said that your mom and brother use the same car to go to work.. So why do they both have their own cars?
How long are the trips to work?
I don't think it's ok to have a car just because you can but I guess I'm a bit of a hippie by heart.
It's always a waste if there's only one person in a car.
Only way I'd agree that you need 3 cars (not 5), if the trips to work were long enough and the public transport system in your area doesn't work.
Public transport in our area sucks. Either its 2 hours late or a few hours early. Its never on time.

They carpool to work, but they go to 2 different schools. The trip to work averages almost 30 minutes even though the highway goes at 65 mph.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Carcrazy wrote:Dude, almost no-one passes that test, since they never let you see a book or anything like that to study/read. It's 200 questions about 'advanced' driving techniques based off your own knowledge.
Any examples on the questions they ask?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Not really... since I didn't know that if you passed it you didn't have to take the class, I wasn't really paying attention. :lol:
snoopdogg879
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Sitting in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR Edition that is fully tricked out

Post by snoopdogg879 »

how many of u caught the opening ceremony for the olympics?

it was insaine
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Carcrazy wrote:Dude, almost no-one passes that test, since they never let you see a book or anything like that to study/read. It's 200 questions about 'advanced' driving techniques based off your own knowledge.

Mate, be glad you don't live over here

A: you have to be 18 to even get on the open road (with instructor, not mom or dad telling you what to do)
B: It takes in general 30 hours of driving with a instructor to be ready for you drving exam, before that you have to do a theoretical exam, wich in our case is "only" 50 questions about road safety, eviromental issues, and traffic rules.
The practical exam is not a drive around the parking lot it's a half hour to a hour drive trough the city's most difficult and busy parts with loads of cyclists, pedestrians, mopeds and other motorised traffic ofcourse.
On average 50% of all students fail their exam, and not because they don't know how the car works, but because they where not fast enough (not following the flow of the traffic) or not using their mirrors (and blind spot) enough. stuff like that, in general most fail in multi tasking.
Jopuma
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Jopuma »

Well each state in the US has different rules and what not. For example in Colorado:

To get an instruction permit you have to take a written test that consists of about 20 questions.

Afterward you have to drive a minimum of 50 hours 10 of which must be at night.

Then when you're 18 you take the actual driving exam.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

NC has a three level licensing system.

1. Learner's Permit (Are able to drive at any time accompanied by a certified driver who is at least 21 years of age who has had a Class C or above Level 3 Unrestricted license for atleast 5 years.)
Requirements
A) 36 Hours of Classroom time (unless student is able to pass state exam)
B) At least Six hours of driving time with a certified Driver Ed. instructor.
C) Applicant must be atleast 15 years of age, have a Driver Ed. Certificate saying he/she has passed the course in full, and also have a Driver's Eligability Certificate from his/her school, saying they are a passing student who is still enrolled.

2. Level Two Limited Provisional License
A) Student must have had a state permit for at least one year, with a clean driving record for six months.

3. Level Three Provisional License
A) Student must have had a Level Two license for at least 6 months with no infractions on record.

You also have to take written and driving exams for all levels.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Jeez you guys all have it easy. Well so did I, but recently in my state things just got a lot worse!

1) Learners Permit: When you turn 15 and 9 months old you can go for your L's which is just a written test, but then you need to complete at least 120 logged hours of supervised driving before you can go for your probationary licence. There are no 'powerful vehicle' restrictions.

2) Probationary (P1): After doing your 120 hours, you take a 'hazard perception test' (which is BS) and a driving test (about half hour around the local area) to get your red P-plates. You only need to stay on them for 1 year, but there is a buttload of restrictions.
- Can only carry one passenger aged between 16-21
- No mobile phone use (including hands-free)
- Restrictions on car types: no V8s, no turbo/superchargers, no modifications of any kind, and must not exceed a certain power-to-weight ratio
- Can't tow a trailer
- They also wanted to introduce a speed limit and a curfew, but I'm not sure what happened to that

3) Probationary (P2): If you keep a clean record during P1, then you move straight onto P2 without a test or anything. Most of the same restrictions apply except for the passenger limit and towing a trailer. P2 lasts for 3 years.

4) If you keep clean during P2, and if you're at least 22 years old, then you get your full licence (again, without another test).
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Jeysus! I'm in SA and my only restriction is I lose my licence if I do 10ks over the limit, so doing 60 in a 50 zone by mistake means you lose your licence... Apart from that... I think I can get my full licence at 19, so that's not bad. About no mods... does that include suspension, brakes, aerodynamic, lightweight and interior bogan? If it does that would suck... because it's not like they'd be a problem.

Anyway... I saw something pretty surprising yesterday; a learner got stuck behind a bus that stopped, even though he could change lanes easy, and I did... but he was stuck, I went passed and then all of a sudden as I was there he was pulling out... so no blind spot check and almost got hit, but got through; thing is though, he was with a driving instructor. So what were they doing? lol. I feel like saying damn slow learner for taking forever and then going until it was too late, but I've only had my licence for a year and a half...
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

baumaxx1 wrote:About no mods... does that include suspension, brakes, aerodynamic, lightweight and interior bogan?
Anything that enhances the performance of the vehicle, so that would be everything you mentioned except for the interior.
I don't know how strict they are though.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Luckely over here if you get it, there are hardly any ristrictions.
Only diffirence between a new driver and someone who has lets say his/her license for 10 years is that:
A: a new driver has a point system on his license and with 3 points he will loose his license when:
- Dangerous driving
- Speeding (highway 40 kmh+ over speed limit, other road 30+ over)
- Driving to close behind other vehicles
- Causing a serious accident

B: a lower alcohol limit, wich is virtually nothing .2 promile

Apart from that you can drive what ever you want, if you want to drive a ferrari you can, you can drive anything that is roadlegal.

The restrictions are there for 5 years, and for all who got they license from 2002 onwards

There is only a age ristriction with motorcycles, you can learn to drive a motorbike at 18 but you will get a power restriction of 25KW once you turn 21 you can drive any bike.

There where talks about a curfew just like with Bogan, but they skipped it (maybe just for now) because there are also people over 18 who need their car to go to work at night etc

So once you are allowed to drive, it's not so bad :D
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

boganbusman wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:About no mods... does that include suspension, brakes, aerodynamic, lightweight and interior bogan?
Anything that enhances the performance of the vehicle, so that would be everything you mentioned except for the interior.
Tyres have a big impact on performance, lol... so that sounds like tyres are illegal >_<. I sure hope they aren't that strict.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

baumaxx1 wrote:Tyres have a big impact on performance, lol... so that sounds like tyres are illegal >_<. I sure hope they aren't that strict.
Tyres are more of a service item than a performance modification.

Anyway I looked up the site, and I was wrong about the modification rules. It only applies to engine mods, which makes a bit more sense :^o
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

boganbusman wrote:
What state bogan? Not sure if they have they have the same restrictions in SA, but to be on the safe side I'm only putting in the sound system :) Speaking of which, courtesy of SIC EM and my mum, I now have a 12" Rockford Fosgate PUNCH sub and an Eclipse amp for the speakers. Just in case, I also have a Rockford Fosgate amp ready for the sub :D
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I'm in Vic. But I didn't read it properly, check previous post ^^
paras779
Drift King
Drift King

Post by paras779 »

Hi there...this is paras....some of here might know me....just wanted to let you guys know i m back....its been like months i've been here...so i was missing this forums ..so i m back yaya :D

Return to “General Discussion”