$200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Re: $200K exotic car or $200K modified car?

Post by Striker94 »

Does a Nissan GT-R (the new one) count as an exotic? If it counts as a exotics, I'd pick up a Nissan R-34 GT-R V-spec, and modify that. However, I doubt I'd be able to find one of them, so I'd settle for just a R34 GTR. Or maybe even a Evo X, and modify that...
oh snap
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

If a BMW M3 is an exotic car, so is a GT-R. Anything with a price tag of over £45k.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Nissan GT-R is tuner.. I wouldn't classify it as an exotic.
steelsnake00 wrote:If a BMW M3 is an exotic car, so is a GT-R. Anything with a price tag of over £45k.
Porsche Cayenne Turbo is about £70,000, and it certainly isn't an exotic.
Last edited by Andre_online on 03 Dec 2008, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Andre_online wrote:Nissan GT-R is tuner.. I wouldn't classify it as an exotic.
steelsnake00 wrote:If a BMW M3 is an exotic car, so is a GT-R. Anything with a price tag of over £45k.
Porsche Cayenne S is about £70,000, and it certainly isn't an exotic.
What makes the GT-R a tuner? Is it the fact it's Japanese? That's the only think that differenciates it from something like a 911, and they're most certainly "exotic".

If I'm fair, the whole exotic versus tuner thing is rubbish. An "exotic" car is just one that is rare, and/or costs over a certain sum of money. Any car can be a tuner, so long as it is- suprise suprise- tuned.

Andre- £70k (note thats UK Pounds) will buy you a 911 GT3 or Carrera 4S, or a second hand Audi R8.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Porsche Cayenne Turbo is about £70,000, and it certainly isn't an exotic.
What makes the GT-R a tuner? Is it the fact it's Japanese? That's the only think that differenciates it from something like a 911, and they're most certainly "exotic".
If you classify the GT-R as an exotic, then I assume you classify the R34 as an exotic too then?
steelsnake00 wrote:Any car can be a tuner, so long as it is- suprise suprise- tuned.
Any car? I wouldn't wanna tune a Zonda should I own one.
steelsnake00 wrote:Andre- £70k (note thats UK Pounds) will buy you a 911 GT3 or Carrera 4S, or a second hand Audi R8.
Yes, I'm aware of that (I do keep watch of the economy too, you know?)

Watch Fifth Gear. I'm not joking.. The Cayenne Turbo sets you back at that price. Mind you, that's an SUV. In fact, the Cayenne S - one notch lower than the Cayenne Turbo - is £47,000.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

steelsnake00 wrote:
Porsche Cayenne S is about £70,000, and it certainly isn't an exotic.

If I'm fair, the whole exotic versus tuner thing is rubbish. An "exotic" car is just one that is rare, and/or costs over a certain sum of money. Any car can be a tuner, so long as it is- suprise suprise- tuned.

Andre- £70k (note thats UK Pounds) will buy you a 911 GT3 or Carrera 4S, or a second hand Audi R8.
Agree with you on the whole exotic-tuner war being childish. All others = BS. The Nissan GT-R is indeed a tuner and it has more than just its identity to prove it. Maybe because it's - oh, I don't know - a successor to it's R34 Skyline bretheren? Or maybe that it has top speed that's on par with the SRT-10, but amazing suspension that makes it handle quickly?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Andre_online wrote:Watch Fifth Gear. I'm not joking.. The Cayenne Turbo sets you back at that price. Mind you, that's an SUV. In fact, the Cayenne S - one notch lower than the Cayenne Turbo - is £47,000.
A Cayenne Turbo is an exotic SUV then. Just the same that a Lamborghini LM002 is.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:Agree with you on the whole exotic-tuner war being childish. All others = BS. The Nissan GT-R is indeed a tuner and it has more than just its identity to prove it. Maybe because it's - oh, I don't know - a successor to it's R34 Skyline bretheren? Or maybe that it has top speed that's on par with the SRT-10, but amazing suspension that makes it handle quickly?
Heck, the Evos of the CT9A generation and later (Evo VII-IX and after), GT-Rs of the R3x generation, FD3S RX-7s, RX-8s, NSXes, S2ks, and even GDB Impreza WRX STis could be called low-level exotics on par with Audis. Heck, the Supra and Supra-derived-engined Lexus models (JZZ30 Soarer / SC300, JCE10 IS300) were basically billed as luxury vehicles anyway. Making the split right at an arbitrary line is difficult because the line isn't that clear in cases like this. For what it's worth, on the flipside, one could argue that the E36 M3 is a tuner because of its large aftermarket support.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Porsche-AG wrote:
Andre_online wrote:Watch Fifth Gear. I'm not joking.. The Cayenne Turbo sets you back at that price. Mind you, that's an SUV. In fact, the Cayenne S - one notch lower than the Cayenne Turbo - is £47,000.
A Cayenne Turbo is an exotic SUV then. Just the same that a Lamborghini LM002 is.
Yup! But still, it's an exotic IN an SUV. :)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Andre_online wrote: If you classify the GT-R as an exotic, then I assume you classify the R34 as an exotic too then?
You still haven't explained what make an exotic and what makes a tuner, though. If it's not cost, then what is it? Place of production? That doesn't work either, because the Honda NSX is most definately a supercar but it's japanese. Rarity? The R34 GT-R and R35 GT-R are both fairly rare cars, as is the NSX.

Any car can be tuned, does that mean any car is a tuner?
Andre_online wrote: Watch Fifth Gear. I'm not joking.. The Cayenne Turbo sets you back at that price. Mind you, that's an SUV. In fact, the Cayenne S - one notch lower than the Cayenne Turbo - is £47,000.
The problem with this whole silly saga is there isn't such thing as a tuner. There's nothing that defines a tuner as an individual class of car; for example- the Mitsubishi Evo X is a sports saloon car, as are the non-estate evolutions before it. The old Subaru WRX STi was a sports saloon, the new one is a high performance hatchback. The Skyline GT-R is a sports car, as is the new R35 GT-R. A standard Porsche 911 (that is, a non-turbo one) is a sports coupé or supercar depending on who you ask- most people would say that

Any car can be modified, and the whole concept of "tuner" cars is a silly idea, as every car can be tuned, and for that matter properly classified.
Porsche-AG
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Porsche-AG »

Andre_online wrote:A Cayenne Turbo is an exotic SUV then. Just the same that a Lamborghini LM002 is.
Yup! But still, it's an exotic IN an SUV. :)[/quote]
Okay. But would that make a Lamborghini an exotic IN a supercar? No, so it's safe to say that the Cayenne Turbo is an exotic, but one that has a different use.

@ steelsnake00: Totally agree with you, but I think popular culture in the form of games, movies and even music has driven people to use the word "tuner" synonymously with a Japanese performance/sports car.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Ok, this has gone far enough. Tuners are merely a perception, cars that are moderately cheap, but can be 'tuned' (hence the name) to elevate performance. There's no fixed definition of a tuner, or critirea required for a car to become one. All there is is the perception that a car is easily tuned to increase performance. Seriously, don't delve too deep, just remember although that most japanese performance are labeled "tuner" that doesn't mean that other cars can't be "tuner". If you really wanted to sink further, you could even say that "muscles" like a mustang could also be a tuner.

However, that being said, all that is required for a car to be considered a tuner is that it can't be outrageously expensive, must have decent sporting credentials and can be modified easily. Any car that can fit into there could be considered a "tuner".
oh snap
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I think Kammy just doesn't want to admit that the GTR is basicly a exotic, because he hates exotics ( most likely because he is just jealous because he will never be able to own one, but that's a different story)
But if you compare it to a Porsche 911 Turbo(by most people considered a exotic brand)
Both:
- Price: high
- Performance cars
- Rarity: rare (GTR very rare atm)
- Looks: anything but normal, both are clearly sports coupes

(and tuneble? the GTR? not very now is it?)
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Yeah, Last I check GT-Rs are well over the price range to equal other exotic imports. Especially a nice 997 Turbo. 8)

Anyways, someone with the cash to even purchase a GTR, would they really go through the extra trouble of ripping it apart and upgrading a already perfect car? Not really. However, most kids who cant even afford a dodge neon would gladly buy a GTR and "Tune" it.
korge
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

TheStig wrote:I think Kammy just doesn't want to admit that the GTR is basicly a exotic, because he hates exotics ( most likely because he is just jealous because he will never be able to own one, but that's a different story)
But if you compare it to a Porsche 911 Turbo(by most people considered a exotic brand)
Both:
- Price: high
- Performance cars
- Rarity: rare (GTR very rare atm)
- Looks: anything but normal, both are clearly sports coupes

(and tuneble? the GTR? not very now is it?)
Can't own one without any money. Well, that's what you get for a broken economy. Not to mention they're overrated like Pokemon, but I will admit, since playing Most Wanted, I've come to tolerate exotics. There are actually some I like, such as the GT-R as mentioned before.

And me? Jealous? No way. The fact that I (Keyword(s): used to) hate exotics has nothing to do with the price tag.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Uh, Kammy, look under your avatar now... :roll:
EDIT: wait, nevermind, you've seen it and it's been like that for a while...
OOH! OOH! DO ME! MAKE MINE SAY "Ricerboy Extraordainare"! (just kidding, feel free to do it for a week or so but not long enough for the joke to get old like Striker's)

@ current topic: Yeah, in fact, that's a very useful / more constructive way of thinking about it. Basically the real criteria of "tuner" is any car that is modified to an extreme amount, which means that, stock, the Nissan Skyline GT-R does not entirely qualify and the name you gave it is far more fitting. It's actually more helpful to think about it that way, because a lot of cars from Japan (read: Soarer, Chaser Tourer V, Skyline 2.5GT-T) would be considered low-level exotics if built in Germany or elsewhere in Europe - heck, there are several comparable cars like the Audi A4 and A6 and most entry-level Mercedes-Benz coupes and performance sedans.
Last edited by RedCarDriver on 06 Dec 2008, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

I've noticed. I'm just wondering if I have to apologize to all of NFSUnlimited for what I've said... I've made a big mistake. :oops:
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:I've noticed. I'm just wondering if I have to apologize to all of NFSUnlimited for what I've said... I've made a big mistake. :oops:
No big deal, you're not exactly the first to "earn" a custom title, as you can see from Striker and S2k_whatever the rest of his name is (I can't remember exactly at this moment, he seems to have disappeared).

I'm not blaming you for anything, but I think it'd be worthwhile to attempt to look at the opposite side's reasoning and see why they think that (without scoffing at it and saying "it's stupid" right off the bat). In any argument about anything, it's probably the best thing you can do in any situation.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

You mean S2000_Skyline12?

But, yeah, your comment makes some sense, both this and the one before it.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

RedCarDriver wrote:No big deal, you're not exactly the first to "earn" a custom title
Embrace your new title, your mistake, and don't forget to learn from it.

And relax.. it's only tha INTARNETZ!!1 :D
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I still stand firm to Nissan GT-R being a tuner.. :)
KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:I've noticed. I'm just wondering if I have to apologize to all of NFSUnlimited for what I've said... I've made a big mistake. :oops:
To be frank, you are basically entitled to your opinions. We don't care about what your opinions are. But to use labelling terms like "nostalgia fanboys" (which are just based on assumptions) and "bigots", that just calls for punishment.

Much to learn, my friend.. Take all time you need. Just be thankful that you're not banned. ;)

Now, go embrace your new title proudly. :)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

korge wrote:Yeah, Last I check GT-Rs are well over the price range to equal other exotic imports. Especially a nice 997 Turbo. 8)

Anyways, someone with the cash to even purchase a GTR, would they really go through the extra trouble of ripping it apart and upgrading a already perfect car? Not really. However, most kids who cant even afford a dodge neon would gladly buy a GTR and "Tune" it.
Maybe in America, but thanks to Japanese people driving on the same side of the road as us Aussies, 150k for an R35 after foreign exchange calculating.

Quite frankly everybody should stop trying to define what a tuner and an exotic are. It's a stupid and pointless argument which has no end because EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN DEFINITION. Why can't the topic just be renamed $200k SUPER-car or $200k modified car? That would be the most logical thing to do and stop most of these arguments.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Andre_online wrote:I still stand firm to Nissan GT-R being a tuner.. :)
To be frank, you are basically entitled to your opinions. We don't care about what your opinions are. But to use labelling terms like "nostalgia fanboys" (which are just based on assumptions) and "bigots", that just calls for punishment.

Much to learn, my friend.. Take all time you need. Just be thankful that you're not banned. ;)

Now, go embrace your new title proudly. :)
Yeah, I noticed kammy went from "16 y/o cyber punk" to "humble poster extraordinaire" in no time. :lol:
korge
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

@redcardriver

What, my current one or old one?

Anyhows, I'm making a sig. I'll be finished soon. And then I'll promptly resign out of embarrasment :)
oh snap
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Topic, anyone?

Return to “The Cars”