What car do you drive ?

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: What car do you drive ?

Post by boganbusman »

If you want an upgrade, I reckon you should go for a 3S-GTE. It's a factory fit so there will be far less headaches than going V6, and it still makes good reliable power in stock trim.

There are four different generations for the 3S-GTE, and the most sought after are 3rd and 4th Gen. From 3rd gen onwards they made a lot of changes, making it more powerful and tougher (especially if you want to turn up the boost). But of course it costs more than a 1st/2nd gen, so be prepared to pay at least $2-3k for a decent motor, and then more again if you want to include a newer E-series gearbox (If I recall correctly, the g'box in your Celica has seen better days!). And then maybe more again if certain parts are not included, like an ECU. Sometimes people also sell them without turbos and stuff. Also, don't forget the cost of changing all the oil seals, all the gaskets (except headgasket hopefully), the timing belt, water pump, dizzy cap and rotor and leads, and a few gallons of oil to flush the engine a bit.

The early gens are still decent though, and they will be much cheaper. I'm guessing you don't want to spend a ton of cash on this car!
Considering that this is now your daily driver, the best option might be just another 3S-GE. You can probably find a second-hand motor for like $500-800, and it will just drop in and go (after changing the seals and stuff, of course).
A reco'd engine will probably be about $1k. A fully rebuilt engine will be more like $2k+.
And this is all before fitting. These are all just estimates anyway, so you will need to call up places in Perth to get an accurate idea of what it will cost. I don't know if things tend to be more expensive or cheaper over there. Maybe get GT to recommend a shop for you.

Anyway, I'd say your go-faster-dollars are better spent on the other Celica :wink: Just get this old guy moving again.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Alright... thanks for that. I’ve now put the Manga on hold until I can get a quote on how much a new engine will cost. Sounds like it may be a much better option (and cheaper than expected). Us much as I’d love the extra power from the turbo... I think I’ll be captain sensible and aim for a second generation 3S-GE.

I assumed a few engine places would be open this morning, but I forgot about Perths dismal trading hours. Monday it is then...
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

OK, I put a deposit on a car just yesterday! If all goes to plan, I should be picking it up on Monday afternoon.
Pictures to come

And it isn't a Magna :) ...
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

jacoja06 wrote:And it isn't a Magna :) ...
Awesome, just don't tell me it's a Kia or something . . . !
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The Audi might have to be put up for sale when my insurance renewal comes, as I've just had my first ever accident whilst driving on the roads.

The A4 is in the shop at the moment having the rear bushes replaced so I borrowed my better half's Golf TDi to drive to work. Part-way down an A-road on the way and I come accross a van going about 15mph under the speed limit. When I pull out to overtake him, I notice the road going back into double white lines (in the UK meaning "no overtaking) so I attempt to brake and pull back in behind him- but he's braking at the same rate as me, and then turns into my lane to enter a junction (without indicating I might add!). I narrowly miss him but don't manage to miss the wall on the corner of the junction he was turning into. Bang.

Luckily the missus has no real need for a car and didn't really like it anyway. Unluckily, seen as at the point of the accident I was technically on the wrong side of a "no overtaking" line (partly due to my attempted maneuver, partly due to the fact the van driver braked when I tried to slot back in beside him) it's unlikely that insurance are going to deem it to be anyones fault but mine- though if I'm lucky it will be a "no fault" accident.

And here I am, day off work ballanced with the fact that my arm and neck are killing me. Arses.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

steelsnake00 wrote:I notice the road going back into double white lines (in the UK meaning "no overtaking)
I'm pretty sure that's what double lines mean almost everywhere... :wink:
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Say hello to my sexy new Toyota Camr... err... Holden Apollo.

220,000kms, recently Rebuild engine, Automatic, and dull as dishwater to drive. I think it’s brilliant. And it already comes with a towbar for the trailer!

Its mission in life is to keep my Celica off the freeway, and to protect it from certain death.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Oh, very nice! Widebody Camrys are not my favourite but whatever, it's still better than most cars.

Hopefully it's not a V6?

@SS: Man, that sucks. How bad is the damage to the car?
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

boganbusman wrote:@SS: Man, that sucks. How bad is the damage to the car?
Probably a write-off. The front drivers side took the entire impact- airbags deployed, front light pretty much destroyed, intercooler pipework destroyed, drivers side driveshaft, suspension assembly, wheel and brake in a pretty bad way, front wing essentially non-existent, washer bottle and coolant tank pretty much pulp.

Sent off my account of the accident to the insurers earlier, will have to wait for them to come back to me regarding blame. It might be a no-fault accident, but the way my luck's been lately I'll probably be deemed at fault.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

That really sucks, snake. Hope the insurance co will understand that you were initially passing/overtaking in a zone where it was allowed.

And oh man, I feel so close to my license... O_O Passed my driver's education class exam today, all that is left is for my damn passport to come in, approx 2-4 weeks, do the actual test in the DMV, and I'll be gone for the day. Hopefully by the time I get my license it'll be nice and warm (above 40, at least) and I'll take a looooooong ride.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I think I might be coming down with something...I actually want to buy a WH Statesman...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Stereo wrote:That really sucks, snake. Hope the insurance co will understand that you were initially passing/overtaking in a zone where it was allowed.

And oh man, I feel so close to my license... O_O Passed my driver's education class exam today, all that is left is for my damn passport to come in, approx 2-4 weeks, do the actual test in the DMV, and I'll be gone for the day. Hopefully by the time I get my license it'll be nice and warm (above 40, at least) and I'll take a looooooong ride.
Better half has got the offer through on her car- £2220. They can f*ck right off- it's worth at LEAST £3k, if not more.
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

Bad news...

Someone stealed my car and it never appeared in last 3 months......

Worst of all my camera was inside it...Now can't take a pic of my new car.Some stupid cousin gived me a car instead of a camera,but i'll buy a camera in clear days...My new car is a blue 2010/02 Peugeot 206+,and its cute anyway :)
Well i was driving a 118bhp car and this only has 60 but i cant push it so no problem.Anyway the car is like this:

Just like my one.

Anyway i needed to pay it.Ouch!Im paying...My cousin saw:Hello!I got a car for you!Its on the showroom,go get it!
In a stupid voice,i needed to caugth rain least to the bus stop,and only then i gotted protect...Nearest to the showroom i needed to caugth more rain.i was totally washed when i was in the showroom...now going 1.100.000 yens down the slope in 70 months.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Damn, pretty sad to hear dude! Personally I think French cars are a little crap but hey, it's a car at least. Hope it all works out for you.
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

The 206+ looks a fat 206....I prefer my brother's Honda S2000,its a car that brust everyone...He has a gray 2006 AP2 S2000,the many cars of my family are 2006...
And also forgoten i was driving that car.I was going to overtake a Prelude and he smoked me...I laughed :lol:
This car is slow...
I am bored...I wanna drive the Miata :cry:

But i don't wanna let they steal the car.Now i have this car to go to the city.I want a Tesla Roadster,its also cool.But no one can have everything...The 206 has anti-stealing sistem,parking sensors,speed sensors,anti-carjacking sistem....Bah a sensor car!
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

French cars of the 80's/early 90's = cool.
French cars of the mate 90's - present = fail.

In fact, I can't think of a single good car to come out of France since the 205 T16.
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

Early 90's-106???

The 106 its not so good...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

240sxlover wrote:Early 90's-106???

The 106 its not so good...
The 106 Rallye is a great car- I got to play with a Super 1400 prepared one a year or two back at Castle Combe's rally special stage. Shame they're so damn unreliable- the one I was driving had a knackered ECU that cut out if the engine dropped below 1500rpm. The other two cars broke on that day too (one lost an exhaust, and one had its starter motor die).
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Well Steel didn't say it was a good car... only that they where cool cars.

They where rubbish, but that doesn't mean they can't be cool!
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

The 206 is a very good car;its bigger than the 205,its faster than the 205,maked a test with my cousin 206.

Its all stock,well and my one too...Just dont want to modify.Not that kind of guys.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Sorry, it just isn't. It was pitted against the Mk4 Golf, which althought a bit bloated and numb, was far, far better built, rides and handles better and was much more reliable. The real thorn in the 206 is the Mk1 Ford Focus- less powerful than the VW motors on the whole, but just as well built, fantastic handling and great fun to drive.

The Mk4 Golf is famous for making "hot" diesels cool. The Focus is often seen as one of the all time best handling FWD cars ever made.

The 206 is renowned for spontaniously catching fire for absolutely no reason at all. I rest my case.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

True!

I had a 206 and even though it did drove pretty good for a small diesel, but the build quality wasn't good and I sold it after it was only 2 years old. because there was a horrible sound in the steering...
The first generation is also known for being very weak when it comes to rust protection, they almost always start to rust on the tailgate and other places are soon to follow.
The 206 RC is not a bad hot hatch but is not nearly as fun as the classic 205 GTi was, like said the 206 GTi was a compeditor for the Golf IV GTi and that wasn't a very sporty car eigther, it was a easy target for other hot hatches.
But like Steel said the Ford Focus was the best competition for the Golf.

If Peugeot didn't start with those hidious front grills and bumpers... I would have liked them a bit more... now? they are just plain ugly
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

Sorry,i disagree.The 205 of my cousin(that was gone in to the junkyard and traded by the 206)was disapeared when i was 13,but then i may gotted to drive one and see how anoying it was...I was with a really fact to destroy the interior,unconfortable,and the 205 i drived was really in a point of impact.Direction assist?I hitted a bit of 6 times...Well i returned it and was totaled,with a destroyed front bumper and a flyed piece of hood(it was broken)was really a shame to see the car in that state...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Was it a GTi? Theres a massive difference between a carbed 1.4/injection 1.1 and the 1.6/1.9 GTi 205. Besides the body shell, literally EVERYTHING.

205=Lift-off oversteer galore. Try that in a 206 (even in a GTi 180, and trust me, I have!) and you just get understeer, and understeer, and find yourself in a gravel trap right where a big-turbo-converted old Audi was not 10 minutes before.

Not such a great track day for me, that...
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

But the 206 commercial is so funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7eOVpBCtPo

Return to “The Cars”