"Underground racing" What is it and how do you define it?...

Serious discussions on matters not covered by other boards. The un-serious type of users should refer to the Can of Spam.
oshaylinux
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

"Underground racing" What is it and how do you define it?...

Post by oshaylinux »

I would like for, those who chose to, of us to define what "underground" means to you in terms of racing games... I'll go first...

"Underground" means any racing game that has illegal racing as it's core...

So according to my own definition, over half of the NFS games have been "underground" racing games...I find it very interesting that, U and U2 get so much negative attention and is often attributed, indirectly and directly, for the bad behavior of some misguided people...When you really consider U and U2, they are far less criminal in their objectives. U and U2 was about racing your customized rides, illegally, but it was still about racing. The illegal street racing games that followed the Undergrounds in NFS took the "outlaw-ness" to whole new levels...

Starting with MW, It no longer was about illegal racing...Total mayhem and destruction was rewarded, the more trouble you caused the cops the more you rep improved in the game...In U and U2 we were not reward but penalized for hit and runs...

So i'm just trying to understand why U and U2 get blamed for so much of what wrong with the racing car youth of today?...Somebody help me to understand...
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Re: "Underground racing" What is it and how do you define it

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Probably because Underground was released at a time when The Fast and the Furious/2 Fast 2 Furious were very popular and widely discussed. Not to mention it was a whole new era of NFS, many new fans and it was in the top selling console games of 2003/2004.

Also Underground races were set at night and the game was about the import tuner scene. Much easier to afford than an exotic/sports car or luxury car.

Seriously though, where did you get these sources? There has been some mild controversy concerning the street racing theme of NFS, but I'd say MW gets more blame than UG/UG2.

Return to “General Discussion”