Need for Speed Going Back To It's Roots?

The news visible on the main page
TS-X
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Need for Speed Going Back To It's Roots?

Post by TS-X »

Lol... whats wrong with roots of underground? If they do nice customization, in any way, including kits... it might turn out well. Afteral, my all time fav NFS was UG1... but still, experience has showed that i shouldnt expect too much.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

I did enjoy underground... but for me, the recent tuner scene has been a little overkill. Like bojan and 2furio said, I’d preffer to see something more based on their original games. The customization era is the stem :lol:
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

this is an interesting approach from EA
ChZ^^
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ChZ^^ »

Im glad they are returning to their "roots" (notice the " ") Not that i dont like prostreet, i like it :D But since im a visual styler im glad there will still be tuners. I also like free world, and i hope that they keep dmg.
Death Must Be Easy Because Life Is Hard?
zdravkelja
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zdravkelja »

Well, for me, Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit 2 were the best NFS's ever. So I just want something of theese 2 and it will be great. Most Wanted 2 with better customization and Pro Street car handling would be awesome :D But I would like traks like ther were in HP2 too, I miss it. The combination would be awesome :D
And NFSU was great, but I don't like night racing.
TRANSFORMER
Stock
Stock

Post by TRANSFORMER »

TS-X wrote:Thank god they finaly realised that!!!

Low sales could be coz of too high pc requirements also!
"I have 2 say the same as TS-X this time! = Let's Back 2 Basics!" [-o< [-o< [-o<

PS:

"NFS III Hot Pursuit + NFS Most Wanted = What commes up next?" :?:
"NFS Underground + Nfs Underground 2 = NFS PS ?!?!" :?: :?: :?:

-I'm looking forward 2 the New NFS MW & NFS UG Combo' this Time!"- 8)

MFG' LMS' MYF' TF' alias ARTNFS;
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Bojan wrote:EA Games president Frank Gibeau recently revealed a new strategy that the EA Games will take on the Need for Speed series. Gibeau thinks that the unexpectedly low sales of ProStreet are the result of the series drifting too far from what consumers expected. Instead of giving open world police chases, ProStreet was legal closed track tuner racing. The next Need for Speed, Gibeau promises, will return to it's roots and once gain have an open world including a new 'highway battle' mode.

Unfortunatly it seems that EA doesn't recognize the first titles in the series as the roots. So forget about exotic supercars, closed world point-to-point exotic tracks like in The original Need for Speed game, but think more like the superhits Need for Speed Underground and Need for Speed Most Wanted.
How about they actually "better represent" the tuning culture with all types of cars available and both STREET and TRACK. Japan has a huge legal drifting scene as well as an underground drifting scene, why not feature both. Wangan runs can be included as well as track days. That way every facet of the tuning culture can be represented. Oh yeah... don't forget dyno battles and sound offs! Lol.
Low sales could be coz of too high pc requirements also!
Or under-performance on any rig. All my (gamer) friends can run this game playably, and only one has a worse PC than mine.

Out of all the new gen- nfs games... prostreet and underground 2 were my favs. However, MW had the best story.
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 93360 »

prostreet was not bad, aside from the drifting component which although much improved still had that annoying element of a different physics (you couldn't drive the car normally even if you wanted to, wheel spins right up even at idle revs of 1000rpm etc).
http://www.nfsunlimited.net/article/pro_street_june_q_and_a wrote:4. Will the physics in drifting and drag races be the same or different to the physics used in normal circuit races? If different, how so? And to what extent will the differences influence the car's handling? (93360)

The physics are the same all of the modes. The differences you'll see will be in the levels and types of assists available. We want ProStreet to be a game you can pick up and play and a game you can dial in for the level of challenge you enjoy.
some typical ea bs right there if you ask me.

if anything nfsps may have been a bit boring due to repetitiveness from racing on the same tracks (as opposed to an open world format) and possibly also from expectations being too high, even though i had lowered them a fair amount after carbon..

as far as i noticed, the difference in body kits was almost no difference at all (going all the way back to underground1 styling), just that you could autosculpt them or something. hence i generally stay stock coz it's modeled better and looks way better anyway.

and as predicted with ea putting all their chips on the "wow tyre smoke" effect during promotions for the game was a bit of a yawn.. sure it's nice just don't see it as a big a deal as they made it out to be.

an annoying aspect of the game was the inability for 4wd cars to be able to participate in the drift events possibly due to popular belief that 4wd vehicles provide so much grip that it's almost impossible to drift. that is only half true as in 4wd systems there can be a differential splitting the torque to the front and rear wheels much like they would to the left rear and right rear wheels in a rwd vehicle. this diff can be altered to either manually or electronically (depends on the type of diff) to provide more torque to the rears hence allowing them to spin up and be able to drift. here's an example of a 4wd nissan r34 gtr i quickly found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZ0sSVFrSY

but what annoys me the most is the different editions that ea keeps releasing with the normal editions and then these collector's editions which "have cars that the normal editions don't have" with the real difference being a little code to allow access or not. doing that is just asking for screw-ups between different editions and plain effing stupid. imho all the released software should be exactly the same and if they still want to release a "collector's edition" then they can include a nfs t-shirt and a model car or something like that.

fixes for the next nfs though not going to expect any of them to appear would be the same ones i had hoped for in prostreet some 12 months ago.. not about to dig up my old posts with said fix list in the typical ea spirit of i can't be bothered.
td0g21
Ricer
Ricer

Post by td0g21 »

*angels sing*

was tired of PS a couple days after i got it which was about 2 months ago. now i hardly play it at all 'cuz its all track oriented. i loved the police chases and drifting around every corner easily (hard to drift in this game minus drift mode, along with carbon. cant set the cars right i guess :( ). if they went back to the underground series and most wanted then they'd have one hell of a game.

...imo

EDIT: also love night racing. some dont like it so how 'bout a day/night change every, i duno, 20-30 mins?
Lincoln Six Echo
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lincoln Six Echo »

Cipher wrote:asking EA to execute and deliever is like asking a dog to fly
lol, I was very pissed when they meant that their 'roots' were tuners & open world racing. I enjoyed the nfsU2 & carbon, but I would rather they try to bring back the classic tracks. I only played ps demo, but I've seen the tracks & it would be nice to have some of those tracks, minus the ridiculous amount of advertising, along with some of the european tracks from nfs2, nfs3 hotpursuit, high stakes, porsche unleashed, & hot pursuit2. It would be nice to have races in the big cities, not open world, but limited tracks in new york, tokyo, miami, etc. They should keep the custimization options, autosculpt and the realistic features. Don't bring back the police chases, while very exciting, after a while they get tedious. The weather should be varied, & in the day & night.

I just miss the good ole fashion high speed racing. Your gonna have to have higher pc requirements with these newer games, I'm probably not gonna get ps or the next release until I build my next computer, & they games are really cheap, it's not worth paying 50 or 40 dollars any more for nfs.
Jazket
Stock
Stock

Post by Jazket »

Thanks God!, he heard our prayers!

I didn't even bother to Buy ProStreet as soon as I played the Demo I got disgusted... thanks god they finally realized. IMO A sequel of Most Wanted would be the best yet. Most Wanted ruled. I hope we get the EVO X!!!! :)

Till next NFS!!!
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Jazket wrote:Thanks God!, he heard our prayers!

I didn't even bother to Buy ProStreet as soon as I played the Demo I got disgusted... thanks god they finally realized. IMO A sequel of Most Wanted would be the best yet. Most Wanted ruled. I hope we get the EVO X!!!! :)

Till next NFS!!!
They never realise. They promise and promise and at the end, we have regular products instead of those brilliant designed old nfs games such as Hot Pursuit or Porsche 2000.

Anyways, long time I don't post. I'm back then lol
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

2furio wrote:When I first read that they were suggesting to bring NFS back to its roots, I was immediately thinking of High Stakes and Hot Pursuit. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more I realized that apparently, the roots of NFS are tuners and street racing. What a bunch of losers. :roll: If it's true, then I hope the next NFS will be an even bigger failure. I pretty much lost all hope for the NFS franchise (I didn't even bother playing ProStreet, with Hot Pursuit 2 and High Stakes being the only NFS games I play now)
I think they forgot to say "The roots of our profit" which was U1/2 and MW.

Even though ProStreet was boring (even my father thought it was boring) it was fun sometimes and we had good customization options and lot of cars. Now i would like for them to make a Most Wanted 2 (but in NO WAY related to carbon, and by that i mean they shouldn't continue from where Carbon finished), MW was the best NFS in my opinion. True that i didn't play High Stakes but i did play Porsche and Hot Pursuit 1/2 and i didn't like them very much.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

EXACTLY it's the roots of when EA made a huge profit out of NFS.

Lets wait and see how many lies EA is feeding us this time..

Sorry for the guess hoping it will be a great game, but I sure hope this game will become a disaster, maybe EA will then finally learn it has to give us a decent product before releasing it to the public.
Dude
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Dude »

Need for Speed Going Back To It's Roots?
i guess is the root of earning profit... :?

The news title just only sounds nice but its claim is just as ridiculous, their so called passion on making a good game had gone more on making a good profit than on good game.. :evil:

i just cant forget the good old days of NFS: 2 SE, 3 & High Stakes. Through this game i truly learned about cars when i was very young, i liked the car presentation which i learned about cars in the past, the track presentation which teachers me about driving/playing & its music that i likes create an atmosphere not really found in other games. One more thing is that by playing as a Police Force (NFS: 3, High Stakes, etc...) we can manipulate ourselves using ways to destroy others !!! :twisted:

Anyway so i think that it would be nice if EA can use the same old element, atmosphere(NFS:High Stakes etc..) maybe with presentation (slide shows(NFS:3, High Stakes etc..) ,video (NFS:2SE) combining the current generation element like career mode & story lines should be as good as NFS:Most Wanted, customizing cars(NFS:U, U2, autosculpt features etc..) & perhaps free roam...It will be superbly great if this sort of things happen but i guess it wouldn't happen :cry:

Its such a waste everything fall apart after NFS:Most Wanted or after year 2000 Need for Speed games...i mean its so different now. :(
Dream as you'll live forever; live as you'll die tomorow.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

All I'm asking for is a real world game... real world tuning, similar to PS, but even more advanced, track racing like the URL races from underground, and street racing. Tokyo = perfect.
tb3nz
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by tb3nz »

and yeah..would be cool to have some manufacturer's tuning bk's(nismo,TRD,AC Schnitzer n so on) n cool aftermarket bk's included (Veilside, Bomex n so on)..;) .. lol..thats the part i love the most hehe..
Belgae
Stock
Stock

Post by Belgae »

jacoja06 wrote:I was quite excited when I first read the title… but it turns out they actually weren’t talking about their roots at all, just the start of their ricing/tuning era. Yikes… when will they learn? At least if they are planning on doing an open world game (again), maybe they should try creating something simular to Test Drive Unlimited. MOOR, with exotic supercars? :) .

heh, doubt that :x
Don't worry, with each series people turn their backs on it. That's you and me and some others... Night, sunset, sunrise, snow, rain, replay, incar cam... they sure have forgotten alot of stuff...

Oh well.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Belgae wrote:
jacoja06 wrote:I was quite excited when I first read the title… but it turns out they actually weren’t talking about their roots at all, just the start of their ricing/tuning era. Yikes… when will they learn? At least if they are planning on doing an open world game (again), maybe they should try creating something simular to Test Drive Unlimited. MOOR, with exotic supercars? :) .

Don't worry, with each series people turn their backs on it. That's you and me and some others... Night, sunset, sunrise, snow, rain, replay, incar cam... they sure have forgotten alot of stuff...

Oh well.
...and imo they're not going to put on the following game. The thing is that EA has a enormous problem: they DON'T know how to return to the roots (eg NFS 3 HP, High Stakes, etc) They're putting too much crap into the game that it has turned to be another completely game like NFS: PS .

I hardly believe that the next nfs will have all the classical elements such as split screen, many many exotics like the Italdesign Schigera, Lamborghini Countach, a good damn Ferrari 550 Maranello or any other root nfs car.

If the next nfs game doesn't have the "roots".....I offically can say that Need For Speed series has DIED.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

xturbo wrote:
Belgae wrote:

Oh well.
...and imo they're not going to put on the following game. The thing is that EA has a enormous problem: they DON'T know how to return to the roots (eg NFS 3 HP, High Stakes, etc) They're putting too much crap into the game that it has turned to be another completely game like NFS: PS .

I hardly believe that the next nfs will have all the classical elements such as split screen, many many exotics like the Italdesign Schigera, Lamborghini Countach, a good damn Ferrari 550 Maranello or any other root nfs car.

If the next nfs game doesn't have the "roots".....I offically can say that Need For Speed series has DIED.
Hey, they must have a habit for putting in tuners to their longest franchise ever made. Why get rid of tuners now when you added them for five years straight. I'm not exactly "saying" it, but it seeems like some exotic fans don't want to share NFS with Tuners.

And before you start calling me a fanboy, yes, I have played the Classic NFS games, but imo, they're not as good as the new ones, especially not UG1.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
mostwantedking26
Ricer
Ricer

Post by mostwantedking26 »

this is my opinion: I think it should be day time racing, same sort of open-world police chase scenario and some sort of weather. It should also have a little peice of carbon that some people forget. The random encounters from other racers in free roam mode. i also think that they should bring back the mode where you are able to be the cop! Now that was some fun stuff! some peolpe like tuners, some people like exotics and some people like muscles. So why don't they just have all of those varieties with like 15 of each and 5 bonus cars. That would make any amazing game with at least 50 cars to choose from.Then at least everyone would be happy! :D
I own MW, C, and PS. and i thought the best by far was most wanted! carbon had much too long waiting times for vinyls and cars to appear on screen! and prostreet took everything out of what NFS is all about! Most wanted had a good story, good cars, fair graphics, intense police chases and basic customization options. PLZ COMMENT>>>>
P2nkz
Stock
Stock

Post by P2nkz »

The best NFS in my opinion would contain:
* most wanted pursuit system
* underground 2 customizing system + autosculpt
* pro street graphics
* cutscenes like MW or Carbon had
* Freeroam
* Damage (maybe)
* Junkie XL :P
* split screen multiplayer
Then again when the next NFS would contain all of those features they would hardly have anything to improve on...

Oh yeah...

I think that Carbon was the worst NFS ever made...
It even didn't have a proper story. The only good thing it had was autosculpt and I actually were dissapointed in it when crbn came out.
And the soundtrack it had...

Anyway. I reaallllly hope that the next nfs will be something between classical NFS and the underground/most wanted games.

Cheers!
krazyammo
Professional
Professional

Post by krazyammo »

mostwantedking26
Ricer
Ricer

Post by mostwantedking26 »

hmmmmmm... that is some very interesting information.
Last edited by mostwantedking26 on 07 Apr 2008, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Yet again, flamers attacking ProStreet... I think somehow that getting rid of cops and freeroam and switching to legal arcade/sim racing is just like the end of the world to almost everyone here.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “News”