New Here. Pictures of my ride: 96' Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
2gTSiAWD
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 2gTSiAWD »

flatblacksleeper wrote:Nice car, i was trying to get a 95 AWD TSI but no luck, the girl sold it :cry:

Quick question, never heard of it before, what exactly is a "6 bolt" "7 botl" if you guys can answer thanks.
6-Bolt is engines from years from 90-late 92. After 93 and on they used the 7 bolt flywheel combo.

Along with the flywheel change, there are many other internal changes between the two engines. The crankshafts are different sizes, as are the rods and crankshaft seals. 6-bolt motors have 'big' rods, while 7-bolt engines have 'small' rods. The journal and bearing widths different, although the bearing diameters are the same.

That is why 7-bolts are more prone to crank walk.
A 'walking' crankshaft is a crankshaft that moves too much inside the engine. This is also known as excessive thrust bearing play. The movement is usually due to the crankshaft not fitting inside its bearings correctly. While not bad for the crankshaft, the movement can place excessive or uneven loads on the bearings, causing premature failures.

Many 2G owners have suffered from walking crankshafts. It appears that Mitsubishi built many 2G engines using defective crankshafts, which were machined out of specification and are thus capable of moving around too much inside the block. All 2G model years appear to be affected to some degree.

To fix this problem, Mitsubishi has designed several versions of matching crankshaft bearings. This allows the defective motor to retain the crankshaft, yet matches the bearings correctly so as to eliminate the excessive crankshaft movement. Matching the bearings in this manner is tricky and requires exact information about when the crankshaft was manufactured, which may be determined by color markings on the crankshaft itself. The 2G factory manual includes information on how to match crankshafts to bearings.

1G owners do not generally need to worry, as there are no chronic problems with crankwalk in per-1995 cars. However, it is possible for any engine to experience crankwalk if there is a problem with the crankshaft bearings. It has been reported that 'small rod' / 7-bolt flywheel motors (manufactured from later 1992 through 1994 on 1Gs) are more prone to crankwalk than 'big rod' / 6-bolt flywheel engines (manufactured from 1989 to early 1992). However, there can be no guarantees, since big block V8s and all other engines can also suffer from crankwalk.

It can be difficult to tell if a particular car is experiencing crankwalk. Symptoms are usually indirect and difficult to diagnose until major damage occurs.

Since the clutch places pressure on the crankshaft, many owners have reported clutch or shifting problems associated with the walking crank. Having the clutch 'stick' down on left-hand turns is often a telltale sign of crankwalk. Other symptoms include inconsistent engagement height, poor or rough engagement, difficulty shifting, ticking noises and varying pedal height or pressure. Another possibility is having the engine RPM decrease significantly when the clutch pedal is down.

Another problem with crankwalk is that the crankshaft may move so much as to literally tear up and destroy the 2G crankshaft angle sensor. This problem usually manifests itself as a ticking noise coming from the timing belt area, as the sensor is literally and slowly ground away by the crankshaft. Any such noise should be investigated right away to prevent serious problems.

Unfortunately, cranshaft angle sensor failure usually leads to a replacement sensor, rather than a replacement crankshaft, as mechanics fail to diagnose the underlying problem. 2G owners who have experienced premature failure of the crankshaft angle sensor should investigate the possibility of a walking crankshaft immediately.
whatthesht
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by whatthesht »

ooh wow am i sopposed to be impressed? you need to do some outside work
chimpzrl
Drift King
Drift King

Post by chimpzrl »

@ whatthe$*%: What the $*#&? It looks fine. He is more worried about performance. It's his personal priorities.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

whatthesht wrote:ooh wow am i sopposed to be impressed? you need to do some outside work
Is that an insult?
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

It certainly should be classed as one, but not towards anyone else, just himself.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I think we got a ricer among us.... :oops:
2gTSiAWD
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 2gTSiAWD »

whatthesht wrote:ooh wow am i sopposed to be impressed? you need to do some outside work
To me that is an insult. Yes. I do love a good looking car. But in my world a good looking clean car is one kept closely to stock as possible. I am doing a 97-99 Eclipse Front Conversion. I have the bumper painted and ready to be put on just need the headlights.

That is the extent of the outside that will be changed. I will love the way it looks with the conversion and a little drop on H&R Springs. It will look nice, clean looking and the way I like it. I am more performance based. I would rather spend money of something that will actually make horsepower and go faster.

I am sorry I do not see eye to with you. Well most people do not see eye to eye with me either. But everyone has their own preferences. And mine would be go fast parts. I am sorry that I will spend all my money on my engine and will be in the 12's by mid 05'. And I will hit 12's or faster in a stock looking Talon.

Who will get more respect? Not to be cocky or rude......But I will.
2gTSiAWD
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 2gTSiAWD »

In my world. To me this is one damn sexy car. All it is a 95-96 Talon TSi with a 97-99 Eclipse Front Bumper and Headlights with a matched painted RMDSM Front Lip.

And who would of thought it sports a 60Trim Turbo and has over 400awhp. This is what my car will look like when I am done.

Conversion+wheels+drop=Hotness.

Here is another 95-96 Eagle Talon with a 97-99 Eclipse Front. Am I retarded or does that not look awesome?

And here is some recent pictures of my car. I love my car. I bought the car for the styling and the pure performance of the 4G63T and AWD 8) I am not going to ruin it with no stupid body kit, ugly wing or some other unusefull crap.

If you want to insult my opions anymore of make fun of my car. Go on a do so. And I am terribly sorry if I did not impress you. Due to the fact I try not to impress anyone. I do not care what other people think. I do what I want to do with MY CAR. I do not built it to other peoples likeings. End Rant.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

Meeeeeh, front end conversions are usually a waste of time unless they're something super cool like a Onevia. They're still both the same car, after all.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Ive never understood the whole front end conversion thing either, a lot of people like the strawberry face 200SXs for example.

Meh, youre car, good luck with it.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
MoWGLi
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by MoWGLi »

You dont need all of those things for 12's. All you need is 3 mods and $75.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

To be honest dude, it looks best the way it is now.

That Eclipse bumper is a bit . . . . :?
Maverick2K4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Maverick2K4 »

Onevias are crap, I'd go with a Sileighty instead.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

The whole point of a onevia is to stuff a cigar in the eye of all the Sileighties and get as much revenge on them as possible for throwing a 180SX front away :P
haziqspeed
Stock
Stock

Post by haziqspeed »

Hei!how you guys can enter a photo at the computer.You scan it or what?
Corolla GTS
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Corolla GTS »

^A little OT?
Hey, 2gTSiAWD, I'm loving your Talon! Hey, the Eclipse front end sounds a bit, wel, doesn't sound good. I love your car, though. A great performer, from what I've been reading!

Return to “The Cars”