Skyline or NSX

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing

Would you rather have a free Skyline or a free NSX?

Poll ended at 06 Nov 2006, 23:55

Skyline GTR
60%
NSX-R
40%

Total votes: 45

Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

This argument is becoming annoying, its like watching someone trying to take a plank sidewards through a door. You keep telling them its not the right way, but hell they keep doing it anyway...
SuperString wrote: As for the r33 and r32 there where beside AWD, RWD only systems also. I wasn't refering that AWD system in Skyline case was only for user friendly case, but was one of the reasons.
The R34 series is also predominantly RWD. The ONLY AWD out of all the Skyline generations is the GTR. All others are RWD. Remember, the rest of the Skyline family is about as sporting as the Ford Mondeo series. The GTS-T is the equivalent of an St220, and the rest are too boring to even care about.
The real reason of Skyline not breaking in EU market (DO NOT mix up EU market with UK!!!!) is not just because emissions. Do you truly think a rb26dett engines can't be modded to produce less emitions???
Unfortunately for your line of argument there, the UK is one of the largest contributors to the EU, and is very a much a part of it. The RB26DETT is VERY restricted from the factory, and if you knew how much power the CATs sapped up, youd know that emissions are already down at a bare minimum.
The same thing was with Supra, Eclipse and Integra. The market wasn't interested in Japanesse cars. Yes they where cheap, but very few people bought better sport versions, since EU cars in 80 and 90 where far more superior.
The MKII/MKIII Supras were actually very popular, and the MKIV was very popular also, especially as there were both USDM and EUDM cars being produced by Toyota. The Eclipse, otherwise known in the US as ''DSM'' was, and still is today, one of the most popular modified cars in history. The reason the EU didnt take it was because theyre all LHD, not because of emissions. The engine used in the GSX is the 4G63, the same as that in the lancer Evolution, which sold extremely well across the globe.
As for Le Mans, if I recall correctly, there is none victory for a Jap. car. Japanesse sport cars break in EU market in late 90, but untill now, there WASN'T segnificant number in sales. RX8 and 350Z changed that. This is why it took 10 years for Viper to come to EU.
The Japanese cars never entered those events. Thats a bit like saying Aston Martin were never a credible sports car maker because they never won Nascar. When the R32 GTR came on the scene in the late 80s/early 90s, it dominated the Australian touring car championship so much they altered the rules to prohibit their entry. The Skyline then went on to become the fastest standard car to lap the Nurburgring.

The reason the 350Z and RX8 changed that was simple. Theyre economical sports cars. Their predecessors were balls to the wall racers, hitting the quarter mile in 14 seconds and under, terribly un-reliable in the wrong hands, and thirsty too. The 350Z and RX8 were nothing more than jumped-up Audi TTs - not too displeasing to the eye, and quick enough to beat the Corsa/Saxo crowd from the lights. As for the viper, it has never been an EU produced car, the Corvette is the only American sports car to be widely available to non-Americans. In the world of imports, theyve been around for decades.

I ignored the rest, and skipped to this:
Ask ANY professional rally driver.
I'm not trying to arguee with you, but to made some points clear. PEACE
Im not a rally driver, neither are you. I have years of track experience under my belt, including the one in my sig 9thats a pic of my car...). Judging on the posts made by yourself, I hold more experience of what is easier and what isnt with regards to RWD, FWD and AWD cars.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
nismodriftster95
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged
Location: On my Recaro racing seats blowing past the Cornado bridge in San Diego Califorinia!!

Post by nismodriftster95 »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:
it wasn't installed for off-road racing, but more for easier and safer driving in city eviroment (note the name Skyline), but it's AWD system is pretty sofisticated because it tends to shift some power from AW to RW at faster speeds.
...no it wasnt. The technological marvel of the GTR AWD system wasnt designed for city driving, largely evident by the fact its a manual and not an automatic. Also, AWD doesnt shift to RWD at faster speeds. An AWD system works by being RWD, then transferring to AWD when the front detects a loss of grip. I dont know about you, but Ive never experienced a loss of grip from the front when Ive been driving through my local city.

The GTR breed was a track car right from the off, and the complicated AWD system reflects this. The Skyline itself was a comfortable cruiser, much in the same way as a BMW 3 series is. The GTR is the Japanese M3 CSL, it wasnt designed for sharply dressed office workers, it was designed as a track car that the public could buy.
I agree.
"Slower cars are friends, not food" Finding Nismo ;)
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The Skyline is one of the few Japanese sportscars that is not imported to mainland europe.\
Most other cars where imported.
The Mk4 Supra was imported but not many where sold and the import was stopped alot earlier then production of the car was cancelled.
The simple reason was that it was rather expensive for a Japanese car, and you could get a rather fast BMW, Merc or other european sportscar for the same price.
The UK did officially import the R34 GTR but only a small number of them. all other R34 skylines are Japanese imports.
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

They stoped making the R34s :( All there making are the GTs, GTRs, and others i cant name off the top of my head. If anone knows why they stoped making them, please post it.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

Being from the Skyline-free part of the world, I'd say a Skyline.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

Why was the Skyline banned in the US? Too many Illegal street racing?

Skyline for me
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

The Skyline was never sold in the US to begin with, AFAIK. It didn't meet emission standards.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

True, same story with SR20 equipped cars. :)
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

BrontoX wrote:Why was the Skyline banned in the US? Too many Illegal street racing?

Skyline for me
Its because instead of being left hand drive, it was right, and a little too much horses.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Tuners Rock wrote:
BrontoX wrote:Why was the Skyline banned in the US? Too many Illegal street racing?

Skyline for me
Its because instead of being left hand drive, it was right....
:lol:
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

Yeah i know my Nissan Skylines, 8) There my favorite car. I do research on them.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Seriously, that's just dumb. Why would a car being right hand drive prevent it from being imported? It's not like they couldn't make a left hand drive version, like every other Japanese car imported to America. :roll:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well, I heard somewhere that it's very difficult to convert a Skyline from right-to-left because the engine is not in the centre of the engine bay (for weight distribution reasons), and you can't fit the steering rack and brake booster on the other side . . . or something like that.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

boganbusman wrote:Well, I heard somewhere that it's very difficult to convert a Skyline from right-to-left because the engine is not in the centre of the engine bay (for weight distribution reasons), and you can't fit the steering rack and brake booster on the other side . . . or something like that.
That's probably what it is. I heard something that sounded exactly like that.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Tuners Rock wrote:

Skyline for me
Its because instead of being left hand drive, it was right, and a little too much horses.
Banned because it's a right hand drive is bullcrap.. And what exactly is too much horses? You never see high-powered exotics driving in the US? :?
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

But a Skyline can beat any exotic.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

No it can't.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

:roll:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Sarcasm, Toshiro, sarcasm.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

We need [sarcasm] tags or something. I can barely tell sarcasm from the real thing irl.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Or to learn to know what person says what? if you know the members abit you know what people think and like so you can expect a comment to be sarcasm.

BTW the Skyline wasn't banned it was just not imported to the foreign market it was Japan only. afterwards the UK got a small number of official imports.

All other right hand drive countries had them imported as grey imports also.

A other reason why the Skyline did not reach the US is that it does not reach the emmision limits. but that is not the main reason it was never in the US.
It only makes it alot harder and more expensive to get it there.

Alot of high power Japanese cars where never imported to the US.

For intance all Lancer Evo's till the EVO VIII where never officially imported to the US.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

Both I like.Both have a c00l design.
Last edited by taz947 on 27 Dec 2006, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Tuners Rock
New Age Fanboi
New Age Fanboi

Post by Tuners Rock »

TheStig wrote:Or to learn to know what person says what? if you know the members abit you know what people think and like so you can expect a comment to be sarcasm.

BTW the Skyline wasn't banned it was just not imported to the foreign market it was Japan only. afterwards the UK got a small number of official imports.

All other right hand drive countries had them imported as grey imports also.

A other reason why the Skyline did not reach the US is that it does not reach the emmision limits. but that is not the main reason it was never in the US.
It only makes it alot harder and more expensive to get it there.

Alot of high power Japanese cars where never imported to the US.

For intance all Lancer Evo's till the EVO VIII where never officially imported to the US.
Ok you proved me wrong. You sure know a lot about cars. =D>

Return to “The Cars”