Car menu??? NFS Most Wanted

Discuss editing Need for Speed Most Wanted.
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Car menu??? NFS Most Wanted

Post by speed_and_do_the_deed »

hello people i just to know is there anyway to change the name and logo of the company of the car when you go and select the car... :? < if that makes sence >

also if that is possible what file would it be stored in ?

:) just to make it easy for you ill post a pic so you know what im on about.
Attachments
Car menu.jpg
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Properly in the comman folder or in the misc file in the Car folders . Im not sure though . I dont see why you couldnt change them though.
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Hmm

Thanks bam_bam :D

ill check all them soon i just wanna keep this forum open to people coz im doing a kinda car info project as i sumtimes call it :? its like im editing the vauxhall monaro and like change all the badges into holden and like ive done all that also the interior of the monaro
all i need now is to track down that little info bar were you select the car and then im done but i have been looking in game files but not as hard coz i just wanna no right away or sum clue were they are so yeah
:P
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

Not the easiest thing to edit... I'd say editing that is an "advanced" thing to do. But nevertheless, here's how:

Its inside FRONTEND\FRONTB.LZC. That file is compressed, so you will need to decompress it using unjdlz (command line app, hopefully you can use a console)... download here: http://oedit.nd4spdworld.com/nfsu/unjdlz.zip

When you decompress it, the result file is a BUN file which contains multiple files. There are two texture files in it. You want the one at offset 0x12080, length 0x4b2c80.

To edit it, you can use a hex editor to extract the data out into a new file, edit it with BinTex and then copy and paste the edited data back into the same location. Or you need to find a BUN compiler (non existant to my knowledge).
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

arushan wrote:Not the easiest thing to edit... I'd say editing that is an "advanced" thing to do. But nevertheless, here's how:

Its inside FRONTEND\FRONTB.LZC. That file is compressed, so you will need to decompress it using unjdlz (command line app, hopefully you can use a console)... download here: http://oedit.nd4spdworld.com/nfsu/unjdlz.zip

When you decompress it, the result file is a BUN file which contains multiple files. There are two texture files in it. You want the one at offset 0x12080, length 0x4b2c80.

To edit it, you can use a hex editor to extract the data out into a new file, edit it with BinTex and then copy and paste the edited data back into the same location. Or you need to find a BUN compiler (non existant to my knowledge).
You are a HERO for making that Ferrari then. :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i know of BUN decompiler, but no recompiler. so arushan, are you saying that i can hex edit the BIN files into the BUN? i so want to remove the license plate texture that is stored in a BUN file.
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Custom license plates would rock ! Can you please tell us how to make them ( if its possible )
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

ok, so for any interested, this is where i am so far. if you don't want this discussion to continue in this thread, please tell me so.

i've managed to extract the BIN files from the BUN, and have isolated and extracted the License Plate texture. But after editing it and saving it as a trasnparent image (ie with alpha channel) there is a lot of hex data missing (ie file is much smaller). BinTex and MWTEX refuse to import because it's smaller. so i still have to figure out a workaround to that. simply put, it's possible but the process is extremely complicated.

EDIT:
ok, im giving up. i found <i><b><u>a</u></b></i> license plate texture, but changing it doesn't seem to have any effect on the game. so i can only assume that there are multiple places where the texure is stored, and only one is used. only arushan has the knowledge to tell us where that is.
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

Editing license plates.. another advanced topic :)

I believe the license plate texture is in globalb.lzc... you need to decompress that first to globalb.bun (not sure if there's an decompressed version included with the game.. if there is, you can use that). Delete/rename globalb.lzc to something else and rename globalb.bun to globalb.lzc. Now globalb.lzc should contain the decompressed version.

Open globalb.lzc with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x6b80. Select 0x10ec40 (or 1109056) bytes from that offset and copy it into a new file... save it as globaltex.bin or something.

Edit globaltex.bin with BinTex only! MWTex won't work. Export the LICENSEPLATE texture from here and edit it with Photoshop (select "Don't load mipmaps" when opening the DDS file). When you export, make sure you choose DXT1 and "Generate mipmaps". Now, import the edited file back into the globaltex.bin file. And SAVE. The file size should not change due to the way BinTex works internally for old NFSU style files.

Now edit globalb.lzc file again. Go to the 0x6b80 offset and copy and paste the contents of the new file into globalb.lzc and save. Make sure that your hex editor is in OVERWRITE mode and not insert mode. The file size of the globalb.lzc should not change from the decompressed size. If it did, you did something wrong.

GlobalMemoryFile.bin has a copy of the old globalb.lzc file, so you need to disable it. The simplest way to do that is delete/rename GlobalMemoryFile.bin and make a copy of FrontEndMemoryFile.bin and name it as GlobalMemoryFile.bin.

That's it.
Skyline_man wrote:You are a HERO for making that Ferrari then. :P
Actually, the Ferrari has a custom Ferrari menu logo and stuff... but its dynamically loaded into the game (i.e. no files are edited) :)
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

wow, thanks arushan! you're really a genius!
on a side note, so dynamic loading is possible? does that mean there's a possibility of adding new cars instead of replacing?

EDIT:
here's the problem I'm having. when I save the DDS file in PhotoShop as <b>DXT1 with 1-bit Alpha</b> and try to import, i get an error in BinTex that the Width and Height are not the same as the original. i've tried everything i can think of, but to no avail. can you help?
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

NAh NAH

Thanks Alot hey arushan thats just wat i needed to here with the car menu :P

Oh and by the way i like the topic about number plates so like it can continue in here if you guys want coz i dont mind it being in here :D even no its been going on while i wasnt here but anyway its great 8)

oh and since i made this forum i might as well use it for diffrent things to ask

my other question is has there been a tool for importing music on Most Wanted
or is there sum way to like crack the file to import the music.

and cud sum1 place the link to the forum how to remove parts for NFS underground 2
coz like i cannot find it :cry:
Last edited by speed_and_do_the_deed on 16 Jul 2006, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Professional
Professional

Post by 99k »

I think a nfsmw music thing is being worked on
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Just turn off the music and open up WMP.
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

umm

That is a good idea xHaZxMaTx but like if your read in the Most Wanted book it says
that to keep your game running at speed close background tasks and like i stick to what that book says :) also my computer is on the edge of forking up so i dont wanna run anything while playing Most Wanted :lol: but that was a good idea tho :wink:
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

prince1142003 wrote:on a side note, so dynamic loading is possible? does that mean there's a possibility of adding new cars instead of replacing?
No, there are some things that are hardcoded which prevents being able to do that from what I can see.
prince1142003 wrote:here's the problem I'm having. when I save the DDS file in PhotoShop as <b>DXT1 with 1-bit Alpha</b> and try to import, i get an error in BinTex that the Width and Height are not the same as the original. i've tried everything i can think of, but to no avail. can you help?
Try saving as normal DXT1? MW uses DXT3 for all textures with alpha. Regardless, there's no reason why it should give you that error, unless the texture sizes don't match. Did you select the texture to replace before importing?
speed_and_do_the_deed wrote:my other question is has there been a tool for importing music on Most Wanted
or is there sum way to like crack the file to import the music.
I gave up on it.. but I do believe someone was attempting to do it... but I haven't seen a tool for it from him yet. It takes more than just replacing the music in the AST/MUS file.. the MPF file needs to be cracked also.. and it's format completely eludes me.
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Oh Okay fair enuff arushan on the music thing :)

Umm What else was i going to ask OH yeah is there a way to change them brake disks
coz like i hate the idea of them being Gold every single time is der a way of editing the colour
oh and by the way if sum1 says just select the 2nd and 1st one then no i dont wanna do that coz i wanna have it the car fully tuned with everythin :wink:
and this is for Most Wanted no NFS Underground 2 if people are wondering
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

the brakes are somewhere in the <b>GlobalB.lzc</b> file. to change it, you'll have to follow the same procedure <b>arushan</b> outlined to change the license plate.

<b>EDIT2</b>
i managed to get the textures to import right. it seems that something is wrong with my DDS plugins, they're not saving mipmaps even if i check the option. i ended up using <b>DDS Converter 2</b>.
but i've hit another little hitch. i can't rename <b>GlobalMemoryFile.bin</b> and have the game run. it does a CTD if i do that. any workaround to this arushan?
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Is it possible to recolour the front badge of the Evo ? I would really like a red one :P
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Textures.BIN in the LANCEREVO8 folder.
speed_and_do_the_deed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Hmm just wanna say

Thanks Every1 for helping me and other people on this forum lol :lol:
its really helped me in like changing things also knowing what i need to know

also just for that last post i made thanks prince1142003 for that info on the brakes
no more crappy Gold for me hehe :wink:

and this forum thingy can keep on going no need to close it or what eva
coz i will post again soon trust me on that one lol also later on ill prolly show you peoples who have helped me or who have posted on here what i have done

like that Holden project im trying to do ill post pics later on when its finished :D
also im kinda working on a vinyl witch was done by prolly a old user i think and convert it to Most Wanted also ill add the users name to it so that i dont get in trouble also i know it may sound easy to u guys who know how to do that stuff but for me it will at least take 2 days lol :P until i get the hang of it then ill make my own and actually become a vinyl maker or what ever coz ive always wanted to be one so yeah

Thanks.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

if you manage to get arushan's method working, can you let me know? it's the last step that's getting me stuck.
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

prince1142003 wrote: but i've hit another little hitch. i can't rename <b>GlobalMemoryFile.bin</b> and have the game run. it does a CTD if i do that. any workaround to this arushan?
Game won't run without GlobalMemoryFile.bin... you need to make a copy of FrontEndMemoryFile.bin and name it as GlobalMemoryFile.bin (FrontEndMemoryFile.bin is "empty").
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

still the same result...
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

I retuxtured it but photoshop would save it for some reason is there another way of doing it ?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

You must save it as DXT3. Remember that and alpha channel must exist.

Return to “Editing”