Help me get into racing.

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Help me get into racing.

Post by Ludford »

I have a problem, I really want to get into track racing/ rally. But I have no idea where to start so if any of you have experince in the matter I have some questions.

1)where do I start?

2) does racing make your insurance go through the roof?

3) how much is it to race around a track (with people and just on your own)

4) does my car need and modifications?

4) can I use a road legal car?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Help me get into racing.

Post by Carcrazy »

Ludford wrote: 1)where do I start? -- at a track :lol:

2) does racing make your insurance go through the roof? -=- probabbly

3) how much is it to race around a track (with people and just on your own) - if i had to guess ~$300 a day

4) does my car need and modifications? -- That depends... do you want to win or lose? :wink:

4) can I use a road legal car? -- Always, unless your going PRO like Nascar or something.
I just edited your quote, I worked an 8 hour shift and am to lazy to copy and paste all that over and over for each question. :P
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I don't really know much about rallies, but it depends on where you live. Although, if you are doing road rallies and the like, you probably are going to need modifications, such as a roll cage and racing seatbelts, because no doubt the safety of the car is going to be a priority.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

If you people have no idea how to answer the question, then don't bother :roll:

For starters, are you talking about casual track-days or actually entering an official racing series?

For casual racing, I'd say the best way is to join a car club (for whatever car you have) and participate in one of their track days. It won't matter if your car is bog-standard or insanely modified, but you will probably need a helmet (maybe racing suit too). I have no idea how much it will cost, but it won't be super-expensive. Call your local club for all the details.

Now, if you want to enter a racing series it's completely different. First you'll need lots of money. Then you have to buy the required car for that series and modify it for racing. That will mean a roll cage/saftey equipment, and uprated suspension and brakes as minimum. But then you have a huge amount of other costs to cover transport to each race, tyres, parts, mechanic(s), fuel, and whatever fee you might have to pay to enter the series. Sponsors can help you out a lot but it's still gonna be pricey.

Rallying . . . as in off-road or targa? Targa events will require your car to have a roll-cage and other standard safety stuff like fire extinguishers etc. You'll also need a helmet/racing suit, co-driver, and transport. Then (I think) you just apply to enter and pay a fee or soemthing. Off-road rallying would be a similar thing, but you would probably go through a car club.

In conclusion, I think a car club is you best bet.
Last edited by boganbusman on 05 Jun 2007, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

A helmet usualy costs about 50-80 dollars depending on the style... I used to race (everything from go-karts to bikes [pedal bikes lol]) So my parents got me a racing helmet.
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

I think I'd be more intrested in just the casual race thing. A few people charging around a track... fun. :lol:

And I wanted to use my own car anyway instead of buying a series car, Ive seen some races like the megane series where the racing package is £100,000 including the car :shock:

I'll try and find a general carclub, becuase I have a Rover 214 GTI and I don't see many clubs being made to hounou such a car. :lol:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: Help me get into racing.

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Ludford wrote:I have a problem, I really want to get into track racing/ rally. But I have no idea where to start so if any of you have experince in the matter I have some questions.

1)where do I start?

2) does racing make your insurance go through the roof?

3) how much is it to race around a track (with people and just on your own)

4) does my car need and modifications?

4) can I use a road legal car?
Its good to see someone else wanting to take it to the tracks. As Bogan said, a lot of it depends whether you want to race for leisure, or for money. Novice/amateur racing is the best place to start...

1. There are plenty of trackdays open if you look for them. In the UK, we have sites like 'bookatrack' and 'pistonheads' which advertise pretty much every race going. Joining car clubs usually helps, as they often get a massive discount due to the amount of people the venue holder can guarantee will turn up.

2. Depends really on the track, and how often per year youll be doing it. Track insurance cost me around £50 per day in the SX, thus far I havent had a proper day in the 5. Youll find that insurance is void on most tracks anyway. So you break it, you pay for it.

3. Not at all, though it helps. Rather than uprating the power, I would first suggest bracing and stiffening the car up, then having your geometry aligned properly. All this depends on the car you plan on racing in of course, but the car doesnt determine the winner. In a spirited driving situation, even my 120bhp Mazda MX5 is a serious competitor, it has so much grip its ridiculous, and the lack of weight means I can brake much later than most cars.

4. Certainly can. Youll find most trackday cars are road legal anyway.

As for costs, the average track day here costs in the region of £160-£200 per day. As an example of how much discount car clubs get, at the last one, it cost me around £40. Youll need a helmet, but thats it.

If you want to enter a series of any kind, youll need a helmet, kill switch and a fire extinguisher. Its not uncommon now either to need a cage. For what its worth, a sponsor wont touch you unless it can secure its investment. Nobody wants to promote their product on a losing car. Unless you have some racing credibility, youll find it extremely difficult to get sponsered.

Good luck with it, let me know if you need any more help/advice.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

yeah I was just intrested in racing for fun really, so I'll try and find a club,

I too live in england so I''ll check those sites.

Do most car clubs just use a certain make and model? or is there genral ones, becuase I have a rover 214 :lol: and its not the sort of car you want to start a club about.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

It's not the sort of car I would want to race, either :shock:

Personally, I think you should buy a track-worthy car first . . .
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

I'm looking to buy a pegeout 206, will this do, As I am not long passed my test and I'm a student I only really have the money for 1 car. So I'd have to buy one the could function as a road and track car.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

*Secretly observes the thread from the shadows.* Hmmm... :)
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

My other option would be to buy a cheap banger like a 1989 scirocco, I know there are difiantly clubs that celebrate that car.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

WTF are all these weird old cars? Must just be cuz they're british and that's why I've never heard of them, though could you post a pic so I can know what the heck your talking about?

(I'm a tuner guy... AKA newer imports, so I don't know any of these)
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

It's a german car from the 80's they go from £500-£1000

And I think they look quite cool.

Last edited by Ludford on 05 Jun 2007, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Ludford wrote:I'm looking to buy a pegeout 206, will this do, As I am not long passed my test and I'm a student I only really have the money for 1 car. So I'd have to buy one the could function as a road and track car.
From what I've heard, in the UK you can have awesome cars for pocket money (compared to Aus, anyway). Just anything with a little bit of sporting flair will be fine. A Peugeot 206 is a crappy little hatchback that was designed for taking women shopping. And it's French.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Boganbusman has had the only sensible reply so far in this thread.

For casual track driving, which ISNT RACING- I must make that clear, you tend to pay a fee every time you wish to race and that covers your track time, sometimes supervision and sometimes helmet rental. Yes, you can use a stock car for that but your performance will be limited most likely at first by your inexperience and then by your brakes, which get suprisingly hot, suprisingly quickly, then cease to have very much function at all. For some styles of motor racing you need aircraft-release harnesses and/or a FIA appoved rollcage. Most mods can be done to a car without infringing on it's street legality.

Professional racing, however, is an entirely different kettle of fish, and a much more complicated one to boot. First you need to choose your style of driving; whether you wish to drive rally, touring, formula, et cetera. The best way to experience these is through driving days which give you the oppertunity for tuition and training. If you enjoy this it's possible, certainly for some forms of racing, to enroll into a league. The downside of this is you need to supply your own car, with your own modifications, pay for your league entry and the like. Years ago I used to race Super 1400's and the greatest outlay is usually your car.

Mods allowed are very selective and usually dependant on your league. Super 1400's (bearing in mind this was 8 years ago) rules were road legal cams, minor head work, 3-angle valves, cats could be removed, no throttle bodies over 74mm, no bottom end work and no forced induction. With those mods most cars are fairly evenly matched. Weight reduction was basically whatever you wanted so long as your car was FIA approved (rollcage usually) and suspention mods were selective (anything up to stage 2 coilovers, which are height and damping adjustable rather than fully adjustable, standard camber plates and mounts and braces permitted). It ensures a fairly level playing field.

My advice is do a few track days in your own car, or a few rally or touring car days and see what your quickest at and enjoy the most. Then it's best to enquire about leagues and the like.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

If you must have a Peugeot, go for a 205 GTi. The 1.6s make cracking little cars, cheap to run, fairly cheap to insure...If youre on a budget, then lightness is the key. Try and get something RWD if you can, youll be fighting an uphill battle in anything FWD. A renault 19 would be your best trackday FWD car in all honesty. The lift-off oversteer in those cars is insane.

If I were you...Id go old school and get a MK1 Toyota MR2. They even have their own cheap racing series.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Id go old school and get a MK1 Toyota MR2. They even have their own cheap racing series.
:o

/me is moving to the UK
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

An MR2 would be a dream even the old school one, but unfortuantly I'd never come close to insuring a car like that. Perhaps I should wait a while till I have a job secured as well as some decent insurance.
Last edited by Ludford on 05 Jun 2007, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
xALFAxGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by xALFAxGT »

Carcrazy wrote:A helmet usualy costs about 50-80 dollars depending on the style... I used to race (everything from go-karts to bikes [pedal bikes lol]) So my parents got me a racing helmet.
Watching this one from a slight distance and coming at it more from the line of motorbikes, but spending 50 dollars on a helmet is plain crazy.

If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet. If not buy something decent.
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

Whoa :shock: theres a MK1 Toyota MR2 club in my county.

It's practically 20 min down the road, so this seems my best bet.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Ludford wrote:An MR2 would be a dream even the old school one, but unfortuantly I'd never come close to insuring a car like that. Perhaps I should wait a while till I have a job secured as well as some decent insurance.
Youd be surprised, I learnt to drive in an AW11. Ill even dig out the pics of it with L plates on. :wink:

SS - There are very few trackdays which require any kind of motorsport verification. Even Eurodrift (which by trackday standards is pretty large) only needs a cut-off switch. Cages are usually recommended, but very rarely required.

The MR2 challenge series IIRC costs about £2000 for a season, including the car. :P
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Carcrazy wrote:A helmet usualy costs about 50-80 dollars depending on the style... I used to race (everything from go-karts to bikes [pedal bikes lol]) So my parents got me a racing helmet.
Lmao, 80 dollars?

Lets multiply that by 8, that gives you a racing helmet.
Ludford
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Ludford »

I gues I'll go down to my local MR2 meet and take it from there.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

or you can simply buy a S2 liescence for live for speed, buy a Logitech G25, a motorcycle helmet and fireproof underwear. instead of paying 10-20 grand you've just paid 500 bucks. now go enter the LFS leagues and your set.

Return to “The Cars”