PS3 Price Cut now Official...

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

PS3 Price Cut now Official...

Post by Skyline_man »

...New 80 GB models to hit stores in August for 599$ (motorstorm included).
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA INTRODUCES NEW 80GB PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™); ANNOUNCES NEW PRICE ON CURRENT 60GB MODEL 80GB System Designed for Today’s Connected Gamer, 60GB Price Now $499

FOSTER CITY, Calif., July 9, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), Inc. today announced a new 80GB model of its PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Beginning in August, the new PS3 model will be available in North America for a suggested retail price of $599/$659 CND and will be sold with the popular online-enabled racing game MotorStorm™. In conjunction with this news, the company also announced that effective immediately, the current 60GB PS3 model will be available in North America for $499/$549 CND, or $100 below the original launch price.

By featuring an expanded hard disk drive (HDD), the new 80GB PS3 is designed to appeal to the online gaming and entertainment enthusiast, providing ample storage space to download more games and other entertainment content from PLAYSTATION®Network. There are currently more than 60 playable games and game-related downloads available through PLAYSTATION®Store, with expanded entertainment content coming soon. The new model features the million-selling game MotorStorm in the box, allowing up to 12 players to play online at one time, hitting the dirt in this visually-arresting, fast-paced racing title.

Throughout the holidays and this fiscal year, more than 120 new first and third-party software titles will be available for North American PS3 users to enjoy, in addition to the more than 40 software titles currently available. Key upcoming first-party titles include Folklore™, Heavenly Sword™, LAIR, NBA ’08, Ratchet & Clank® Future: Tools of Destruction™, SingStar™, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, THE EYE OF JUDGMENT™, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune and Warhawk™.

Numerous third-party titles, including several exclusives, will also be available such as Devil May Cry®IV, Dynasty Warriors®:GUNDAM®, Grand Theft Auto IV, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Hellboy, Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots, Ninja Gaiden Sigma®, SEGA Rally® Revo, Stranglehold™, The Darkness, TimeShift™, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter™ 2. Additional games and services will also be available for PS3 system owners through the PLAYSTATION Network including PlayStation Home, a state-of-the-art 3D online community that serves as a meeting place for PS3 users around the world, as well as numerous downloadable games including the highly-anticipated title PAIN.

“As we move into the next phase of PS3, it’s important that we continue to evaluate our product line, offering consumers the technology and features that meet their growing needs for new forms of media and the way in which it is delivered,” said Jack Tretton, president and CEO of SCEA. “The introduction of the 80GB PS3, the new pricing for the current 60GB model, the availability of more than 100 new software titles this fiscal year and, finally, the expansion of services for PLAYSTATION Network, will provide even more options for users and will help bring new consumers into the PS3 fold.”

Both the 80GB and 60GB PS3 models come standard with Cell Broadband Engineâ„¢ (Cell/B.E.), Blu-ray Discâ„¢ (BD) player, built-in HDD, 1080p high-definition output, Wi-Fi connectivity and SIXAXISâ„¢ wireless controller.
http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2292/2/

I think the 499$ price for the 60 GB PS3 is pretty good now.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Hey... that means 20GB is $400... im not sure wheather to yell in happiness or still be upset...
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

The prices don't seem to be down in Australia even know i got one... they are still $999 :?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Carcrazy wrote:Hey... that means 20GB is $400... im not sure wheather to yell in happiness or still be upset...
Not really, 20GB will not be available at all. The price cut is only official for North America.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

One word... "crap." :?
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Pabl0z »

We could use a price cut over here too.
I think the price is around 650€...
lol wut
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

I am sure the price cut will be applied in Europe too, just give it some time.
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

they do this to me everytime! i read that a few months ago, they weren't dropping it in the us until 2009, so i found one for $530, but it didn't have any games for it. i thought the prices weren't going to get better and now i feel ripped off, because right after i bought it emmidetly they made it 80 gb, with motorstorm and only $500! they announce this right after i bought it! because sony denied price drops before i got it! no way to describe how angry i am at sony now.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Re: PS3 Price Cut now Official...

Post by BrontoX »

I accuse Sony of Stupidity, 2-3 days ago they said that the rumors about a price cut of 100$ were false and look at them now.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

BrontoX wrote:I accuse Sony of Stupidity, 2-3 days ago they said that the rumors about a price cut of 100$ were false and look at them now.
They prolly got confused :lol: !!
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

No price cut for the rest of the world:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/13 ... price_cut/
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

Bojan wrote:No price cut for the rest of the world:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/07/13 ... price_cut/
That's sad. :(
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

That's another piece of evidence that Sony is the stupidest company out there at the moment (ok maybe except some).
First they take a MMO from us what was it's name, oh yeah Pirates of the Burning Sea (well note really take but the monthly tax is bigger than it normally was), they don't care about the reviews so the next game (if there will be a next game) or the patches will be horrible, and now they don't even reduce the prices for Europe. Sorry for that off-topic i just had to let it out, i had to let out my hatred for Sony out.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

I'll back that statement up along with they are the crappiest company also... I CANT GET MY FREAKIN PS2 ONLINE SERVICE TO WORK! I should have gotten that xbox and paid for live service. :?

I don't care how much they drop the price... I'm not gonna buy a PS3 now... :evil:
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Did you hear about rumour that the only reason they are dropping the price is because they're not producing the 60 GB model anymore and they want to get rid of the stock. I love how console users are always royally screwed over...not that I have anything against Sony. :P
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

2furio wrote:Did you hear about rumour that the only reason they are dropping the price is because they're not producing the 60 GB model anymore and they want to get rid of the stock. I love how console users are always royally screwed over...not that I have anything against Sony. :P
I do! :lol:
Lan.Evo.III
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Lan.Evo.III »

I've never been screwed over. And I hardly use my PC for gaming, the way I see it, it's the PC gamers who are always screwed over, because when that newest game comes out, and you're left short, you have to pay as much as the game costs(if not more) just to play it. Plus, Sony just suck at the moment, they may even lose MGS4 as an exclusive, and they need it.

I also have something to say about the article Bojan wrote, it says that Australia is unconfirmed, so we Aussies may get it, seeing as it's hardly selling at all here. I walked into EB Games, and they were way over stocked with PS3 games, and I could see like 10 PS3 boxes in there storage room.
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

No...if you're a smart PC gamer, you'll get something powerful like a 79 and up card so you don't have to be screwed over.

Now if you're the "Lets get a GeForce 7300GT" PC gamer then you're screwed over
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Man, I'm always in the middle of something... :lol:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

2furio wrote:Did you hear about rumour that the only reason they are dropping the price is because they're not producing the 60 GB model anymore and they want to get rid of the stock.
That would make sense, because I heard that the price cut will only be TEMPORARY :lol: bwahaha

Sony hates you. All of you.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

boganbusman wrote:Sony hates you. All of you.
That is actually true, they don't care about opinions they just care to see if they sell or not they want money not what is best for everyone, even Microsoft is caring about opinions.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

BrontoX wrote:they just care to see if they sell or not they want money
And they can't even do that right :lol:

PS3 is currently a flop, even being outsold by PS2 in some places . . . the PSP is utterly useless.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

boganbusman wrote:
BrontoX wrote:they just care to see if they sell or not they want money
And they can't even do that right :lol:

PS3 is currently a flop, even being outsold by PS2 in some places . . . the PSP is utterly useless.
If i remember correctly in Romania the most sold is the X360, then comes the Wii then the PS2 then the DS light and then the PS3.
taz947
Professional
Professional

Post by taz947 »

The Wii is the second one in sales?
Btw,I wanna buy a PS2.Is it good or I save money for an X360?
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

Why would you just buy a last gen system? 360.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*

Return to “The Hardware & Software”