RAM issue

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

RAM issue

Post by RVD »

I just bought a new 1 gb RAM chip to replace my old 512mb one.

I replaced it, because i thought it would be better then to have 2 completely different chips. Am i right?
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: RAM issue

Post by vellu »

You could atleat try to use both at the same time. There really isn't any grey area there. Either they work together or not (run a memory diagnostic program like memtest86 to know for sure).
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

I tried, but it wouldn't even start up normally.

it restarted itself twice, before saying ' windows couldn't be start properly. This could be caused by a change in the software or hardware.'... that was the last time i put something old next to something new.. [-X :(
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
ImJ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ImJ »

well tbh, read your 512mb ram memory, if its a DDR2 ram, you must buy a DDR2 Ram and not a DDR3, that might be the problem
Explicit signature removed.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

That couldn't be the problem, as a DDR2 stick is physically different from a DDR one. I don't think he's stupid enough to jam a DDR2 stick onto the mobo which requires quite some strength, and then wonder why it doesn't work.

Sometimes 2 sticks just refuse to work together if they aren't similar. I guess that's your problem. Have you checked the timings to see if one isn't running faster than it should, because the other one can?
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

i'm not that much of a fool to jam in 2 different cards into my mobo.... :lol:

allright, these are my cards:

Old: Samsung 512mb DDR SDRAM 166 mhz
New: Corsair 1024mb DDR SDRAM 400mhz

and i couldn't check it since it refused to start up..
Anyways, i keep wondering why i didnt buy a new one earlier... #-o it's a lot smoother and faster now. :mrgreen:
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Wow that's a BIG speed difference... that's probably why. If you want to run two cards, you need to get another DDR400. Or either just get like a DDR333 and over-clock it to 400 speeds. That's what I've done with mine. I got a DDR333 256MB for free, so I over-clocked it to my 1GB DDR400's speeds.
Jmac-
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Jmac- »

I'll assume you meant 266 MHz and not 166 MHz because 166 MHz DDR doesn't exist ...

Anyways, are you sure your motherboard supports 1 GB memory modules ? Does your motherboard support PC-3200 (DDR 400) memory ?

Return to “The Hardware & Software”