Need for Speed Official Press Release

The news visible on the main page
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Need for Speed Official Press Release

Post by Bojan »

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - January 30, 2009 - Fifteen years; more than 40 countries; close to 100 million games sold. Need for SpeedTM has helped to define automotive culture for millions of fans with its embrace of the car lifestyle and its cool rebellious attitude. Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) unveiled the details of what is in store for the franchise over the next 12 months, as the property expands to new platforms, new categories and new media.

Need for Speed is committed to providing unique and customized experiences for all types of racing fans by establishing three independent series; simulation, action and arcade racing. Each series will be developed by a highly-specialized team dedicated to delivering the ultimate racing experiences to car enthusiasts around the world - whether they be interested in adrenaline action, arcade fun or authentic simulation.

"We recognize racing videogame fans are very passionate and unique -- they want customized gameplay experiences. Whether it's more of a realistic driving game with accurate car physics or over-the-top cop chases, we are making different games for different audiences," said Keith Munro, vice president of marketing, Need for Speed. "Each game provides a deep, engaging and rich racing experience. We're giving players the option to choose the best racing title that suits their style of gameplay."

Need for Speed SHIFT - Fall 2009

Shift into high gear! Designed to deliver a true driver's experience that reflects contemporary motorsports, Need for Speed SHIFT is built by racers for racers. Need for Speed SHIFT delivers an authentic and immersive driving experience developed by Slightly Mad Studios in collaboration with executive producer Michael Mann at Black Box and senior vice president Patrick Soderlund at EA Games Europe. Slightly Mad Studios includes developers and designers that worked on the critically acclaimed games GT Legends and GTR 2. Need for Speed SHIFT replicates the true feeling of racing high-end performance cars like never before. Players are thrust into the heart of the action with immersive and exciting features including a stunningly realistic first-person cockpit view camera and an all-new crash mechanic, providing an unrivaled sensation of the speed and feeling of racing a car on the extreme edge of control.

Soderlund is also part of a racing team that recently competed in the 4th edition of the TOYO TIRES 24H Dubai 2009, the first major race event of the year. His team ranked #5 in the high-profile race. Soderlund and the SHIFT development team are committed to bringing the on-the-track experience to players across the world.

Need for Speed SHIFT will be released on PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation® Portable) and PC in fall 2009.

Need for Speed NITRO (Working Title) - Fall 2009

Developed by EA Montreal, Need for Speed NITRO for WiiTM and Nintendo DSTM will have players of all skill levels hooked from the moment they get into the action, while arcade racing fans will be exhilarated by the deep and challenging gameplay. EA Montreal has already established a strong track record of developing for these platforms and will bring their unique creativity and innovation to the Need for Speed franchise.

Gamers can build up their boost as they drift and drag behind their opponents and use it strategically to change the course of the race, but watch out for the cops! Offering a fresh and unique visual style, the game features a variety of licensed cars which can be fully customized to let the game reflect the player's taste and personality. This evolutionary take on arcade racing, bringing back the best features found in Need for Speed games, comes exclusively to the Nintendo platforms this fall.

Need for Speed World Online - Winter 2009 in North America, (Summer 2009 in Asia)

Co-developed by Black Box and EA Singapore, Need for Speed World Online takes the race into the largest open world in the history of Need for Speed - designed exclusively for the PC. Beginning in Asia, this Play 4 Free action racing game will give Need for Speed fans access to licensed cars, parts and multiple game modes. Players will prove their racing supremacy through the sophisticated online matchmaking features and fully customize their profile and their ride.
masterchief12
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Need for Speed Official Press Release

Post by masterchief12 »

I really hate the fact that they don't plan the NFS NITRO for PC. Perhaps they'll port the game later. I can't think the idea of need for speed on another console than PC. IMO Shift will be the best in this year. As for World Online i hope it will also have a small career like Carbon. WO will be a cool NFs because it will have a lot of tuning parts.
DriftingFan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DriftingFan »

i just wish they would take longer than a year to develop these games so they could get it right
"Fuel burning fast on an empty tank." Cake, The Distance

PSN ID: DriftingFan
J-J Studios
Ricer
Ricer

Post by J-J Studios »

My opinion: Need for Speed SHIFT looks like GRiD for now, and I don't need two GRiD's, one is good enough. Need for Speed Nitro looks too childish, and I'm not planning to buy any NFS's for Wii/Nintendo DS anyway. Need for Speed World Online looks like the best one, but only online racing? I'm not too sure on that. Plus, it says:
Need for Speed World Online - Winter 2009 in North America, (Summer 2009 in Asia)
So when is it coming to Europe? Is it coming to Europe anyhow?

Also, I've been expecting a lot more from Undercover, and it turned out crap. How are these going to match my expectations?
Kimba
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kimba »

Where is the fourth NFS?
Cipher
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Cipher »

the 4th one was just a rumor, it might never come out.
it probally wont.
i hope it wont.

They are just testing the waters now, seeing which of these sells best, then they'll stick to that type of gaming.
so if Shift sells the best, look forward to games like that, and so on.

2 posts made into 1, please do not double post
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

One positive thing that comes to my mind with the splitting of the NFS titles is that now EA won't have to try and satisfy it's huge fanbase in one game. The games simply felt a little cramped, and someone was always left unsatisfied.

Despite the fact that I'm looking forward to Shift, I am a little pessimistic about EA's chances of pushing out a really good game. EA had a hard time with just one game in one year, but 4? Maybe things will be easier not having to cram everything into one game, but we'll see.
TONTO89
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by TONTO89 »

I just hope shift has customization.
I don't mind a simulator format but I have really grown to like customization in the nfs games
even if its all only racing parts I don't mind
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

okay, Im fine with the name Shift but the fact its the identical formating (SHIFT) to mine is pissing me off.

Luckily, my knowledge of EA history tells me this game will be sold short and will suck. My Shift will be far better.
korge
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

I still don't see an NFS game for me. So we got:
- NFS: Shift: Too much like GRID. I played GRID and while it was good, it didn't feel like NFS and now Shift doesn't feel like an NFS game.
- NFS: Nitro: Too childish for me
- NFS: World: Looks the most interesting out of the 3 but waiting on more details and screenshots to get a better impression

Now, where's my TDU clone with exotics only (aka classic NFS)?

EDIT: Gamespot Q&A:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6203924.html
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

I'd like to see nitro on PS3, 360 and PC... looks like it could be fun if done right. Crash team racing style... that was a nuts game.

@2Furio: Erm... just play TDU... that's not even exotics only! NFS world is the closest it'll get.
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

baumaxx1 wrote:@2Furio: Erm... just play TDU... that's not even exotics only! NFS world is the closest it'll get.
TDU is way too buggy and the police is really annoying. I think the classic TNFS had a better police system and what I meant was that exotics was the main focus of TDU was exotics with a few imports/domestics here and there. Who knows, maybe this year's NFS games will really fail and EA will get back to its REAL roots.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

2furio wrote:
baumaxx1 wrote:@2Furio: Erm... just play TDU... that's not even exotics only! NFS world is the closest it'll get.
TDU is way too buggy and the police is really annoying. I think the classic TNFS had a better police system and what I meant was that exotics was the main focus of TDU was exotics with a few imports/domestics here and there. Who knows, maybe this year's NFS games will really fail and EA will get back to its REAL roots.
The problem is, by going back to the NFS roots, EA will lose more fans than it'll satisfy. Let's face it, the modern video gamer knows Undeground as the beginning of NFS. The fanbase that Underground attracted will be hugely disappointed if NFS went back to its roots.

I think the splitting of NFS games is a smart move on EA's part. But an annual release cycle? I think that's a big mistake. Why? Let's assume for a moment that despite the annual release, each game went through at least two years of development. Well, the problems encountered in one year's release won't be addressed until at least two releases later. To me, it's just a bad choice. But we'll see.
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Anybody think the SHIFT thing looks like GRID?

And if it is, I really don't want NFS to be going back into Prostreet territory...
oh snap
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

@ Striker: It's going into every territory.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

From what I hear, Shift is more the hardcore racing game, while World Online will be the classic arcadey Need for Speed.
elie8
Drift King
Drift King

Post by elie8 »

Shift is going to rock but i think customization is a must in NFS Shift !! i'm not interested in Nitro, NFS World Online seems good but i hope that there will be a career mode in World :wink: but let's wait and see :D !!
What Comes Around, Goes Around ...
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

prince1142003 wrote:One positive thing that comes to my mind with the splitting of the NFS titles is that now EA won't have to try and satisfy it's huge fanbase in one game. The games simply felt a little cramped, and someone was always left unsatisfied.
I could not have said it better myself. Amen to that comment Prince. :)
mean2u
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by mean2u »

Looks alright, I think I'll get NFS World.
Atominist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Atominist »

I hope NFS World Online doesn't use micro payments. I just want a game that work outta the box, and then use a hack to get the collectors edition :lol:
td0g21
Ricer
Ricer

Post by td0g21 »

gonna be nfsw for me. need for info tho and probly wont buy it for a couple months for them to patch and patch and patch and patch......
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Oooh, something that MAY be cool for Wii? :shock:

Will definately have NFS: World, will probably get NFS: Shift, and may or may not get NFS: Nitro. World looks like out classic NFS, only completely online integrated, while Shift, despite looking like GRID, looks like it could be going somewhere... :-k

I hope EA does well on Shift, because if you're like me... Forza just can't match GT5 for simulation on the Xbox360. I think these things could sell like hotcakes if they did it right. Now I know GT5 is a massively produced game that's been in the works for years now, but EA could use the LIVE Marketplace (or PS Online,) to at least try and keep up. It wouldn't be the same, but EA could still make it worth it.
Naito
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Naito »

Sounds very interesting. However, EA has disappointed me many times before. Lets hope, that this time, at least one game will be successful.

Need for Speed World Online: It sounds awesome so far, but I have to see more information and media before I make a final judgment. So far I like the idea of competitive online games play with a vast library of cars and customization, although, with no career mode, it may get boring fast. Why not make it for consoles as well? Xbox 360's and Playstation 3's both have support for internet play.

Need for Speed Nitro: Another very interesting sounding game. The very idea of being able to fully customize almost every aspect of a vehicle sounds brilliant. It's just disappointing its only for Nintendo consoles. I could get over the odd style of graphics.

Need for Speed Shift: I personally, have never really liked simulation games. However, if this game is as good as it sounds, I might get it.

With all this said, I'm still wary of the success of the next Need for Speed games.
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by PanZero »

I posted this in the other news topic, so I guess I'll repost it here so that everyone sees it.

I like the way they are heading. In the end, it's still the same: The game they made for Nintendo sistems (and probably PSP too) were actually different games, but followed the same story, probably the same tracks, etc. They're just making the games different. I really hope there isn't a fourth one (sorry if it's already confirmed), 'cause then it'd be too much (...or maybe not? Is EA Black Box working fully on any of those?).

NFS World seems like it'd be really fun, especially if it's free. They'll probably profit on advertising and a few paid exclusive contents, like (very good) cars and tuning options. I'll probably play it if they keep their promise on the play for free part. I don't know, it seems a bit fishy to me. Also, to the people that want Underground 3 as the fourth game, I feel like NFSW will be underground 3, otherwise it'll be hard to make everyone's car look and feel different.

NFS Shift looks like what PS should've been. I just hope they keep drag and drift racing, a varied car list (from tuned old imports like the '99 Eclipse to racing cars like the Murciélago R-GT) and at least some tuning to keep it like the NFS we're used to. Those are some things that GRID (as we noticed, EA's main inspiration for this game) lacked that would make it sooooo much better.

I liked the art style in NFS Nitro. The blower and even the exhaust going out of the hood and the cars... something I missed a lot since Carbon... The cars, from that pic, though some of you think it's a bit childish, seem to me that they have a "I don't care what they say, nothing under that hood is street-legal!" attitude (which is a bit childich, I must admit). This one should be closer to MW in terms of gameplay, with cops and the art style that just screams arcade. Hopefully they put a monster truck as a bonus car or something, to be used in police chases. That'd be fun!

Overall, like I said before, I liked the way they're heading. Having more games mean that they can focus on different things, for different audiences. Just imagine a simulation online street-racing with racing and tuned to the extreme cars game with cops. That'd be a mayhem.

I'll probably get Shift (I like simulation and I really enjoyed ProStreet) and World (if it stays free). Maybe I'll get Nitro for my brother if it turns out as fun as I just imagined (Monster trucks jumping running over police and traffic cars in a big city in broad daylight, tee hee).
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

ProStreet was no-where close to being a full simulation. I'm serious, I hope Bojan's right when he say's it's (Shift) a hardcore game... otherwise we're going to be flooded with n00bs who think they can drive.

Return to “News”