What speaker to buy?

Everything for your PC, from case modding to OS discussions, come here to discuss computer hardware and software.
huiben
Ricer
Ricer

What speaker to buy?

Post by huiben »

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new set of speakers and not sure which one is good.. so want to see your idea.... first of all, do 5.1 speakers give more realistic sound than 2.1 speakers? I found that many game speaker systems are 2.1, so is 5.1 not good/not necessary for games?

how brand/model is your suggestion (at reasonable price)

thanks
ben
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

id rather have 2 2.1 than 1 5.1 im planing on gettin another 2.1 and replacing my 2.0 so i can have 4.2 .. but good speakers are logitech, creative.. dont spend to much though.. its hard to tell a difference between 2.1 and 5.1` IMO
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

5.1 is on the contrary, very good for games as it gives you the real surround sound. But you have to keep in mind that you need to put the speakers around the computer - 1 on the monitor, 2 front (left and right) and 2 in the back. If you have space for the speakers and are sure that you can place them correctly, then definetly go with the 5.1 system.
2.1 will not give you the surround feeling, but if you're tight with space, they're still a good choice.
I also suggest Logitech and Creative.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

I don't think that these guys understand what the numbers mean . . .

The first number is the number of surround channels, and the second is the number of subwoofer channels.

For example: 2.1 = 2 surround channels and 1 subwoofer channel.
5.1 = 5 surround channels and 1 subwoofer channel.

So, obviously, 5.1 is better than 2.1, but it also costs more and you need to make sure that you have a 5.1 channel sound card.

Hope this helps. :wink:
vilks*[LT][S+]
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vilks*[LT][S+] »

i think better to buy 2.1 then 5.1 on the same price.
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

LOL, do you even know what you are saying?:')
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

vilks*[LT][S+] wrote:i think better to buy 2.1 then 5.1 on the same price.
:shock:

Well it depends on how much money do you want to spend, and as Bojan said it also depends on the space.

Sound is not a very important thing to me so I am happy with my crappy 2.0 system (left speaker works when it wants to :D) but it is still ok ...

Creative is a good choice IMO.
BTW does someone know if TDK is a good speakers brand? I have seen a cool 2.1 system from TDK. 66€
huiben
Ricer
Ricer

Post by huiben »

thanks for all the reply, I understand that 5.1 cost more and 5.1 give true surround sound. I also know that 5.1 is mainly for DVD sound. i guess my questions come down to

1. does the game (e.g. NFSU2) actually record in surround sound? Because if it isn't, then it won't take advantage of the rear speakers, right?

2. many games has THX logo.. so is there any benefit if I buy a THX supported speaker system? What is the different with and without THX sound?

3. I am looking at Altec Lansing, is it a good brand

thanks
ben
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

actuall u are wrong i knwo exactly what it means. but id stil perfer to have 2 2.1 which would make a 4.2 cause i can have a bass in the front and in the back for a more "realisitic" effect
relja55
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by relja55 »

i will just say this
i have clan and we play call of duty, in this game sound r very important, when i buy 5.1 zalman headphones i couldnt belive i can hear sounds i didnt hear before, so please dont tell me that 2.1 is bether

sorry on my bad english
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

EmptyWords wrote:actuall u are wrong i knwo exactly what it means. but id stil perfer to have 2 2.1 which would make a 4.2 cause i can have a bass in the front and in the back for a more "realisitic" effect
That's BS.
You can put the subwoofer (woofer) anywhere in the room and you won't be able to find out where it is with your eyes closed.

Most modern games, including NFSU2 offer surround sound.

THX branded speakers do offer certain quality as they have to pass THX's standards. But they are also more expensive as the THX licence costs. But it doesn't mean that a speaker set that doesn't have the THX standard isn't good - most companies won't pay the license fees just to get the THX sticker.

I suggest you check out some online reviews. Use google.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

How on earth would you connect a 4.2 speaker set? All of your channels would be retarded.

And Bojan is right, it doesn't matter where the subwoofer is. In fact, the best place to put it is on the floor.
Moondust
Stock
Stock

Post by Moondust »

As a bit of an audiophile I'd like to participate in this conversation.... Eventually, this is a subject of €, £ or $. Creative and Logitech for example have various 5.1 sets designed especially for computer enviroment. These sets are very cost effective, yet lack audio definition found on more expensive solutions. I've owned set from both manufacturers and I have to say... Sound quality is pretty poor, of course being way better than normal bundled computer speakers. Bass frequencies tend to be pretty muddy and there's some disturbing peaks on frequency response all over.

I could really recommend a set which has separate amplifier unit (incl. digital inputs for surround sound), good quality stereo loudspeakers, rear speakers, center channel speaker and subwoofer. Of course we're talking about bigger investments here (let's say 800-1000 € should be good starter), but this system serves you as a home theater as well as listening to music. Any specialized audio store can help you to select decent audioware best suited to your purposes.

Then there's subject of watts and speaker sizes. Generally one could say that size isn't always main criteria here. Actually I personally prefer bit smaller subwoofer since they have more pronounced lower end. Sound is tighter and punchier. In normal use, watts aren't so important either. Things get more complicated because of loose standard in measuring watts. Is it RMS, peak or what? You see those crappy stereo systems on your local quick-o-market saying "240 watts". Oh sweet lord. I'm a bass player in a band and I have amplifier of 160 watts power and 15" woofer. I could bet on my db's to be certain times louder. Well, we learn here that we can't rely on watts...

And soundcard then. Well, there's an option for digital (PCM) sound output in nearly all soundcards. I've seen one on even integrated circuit. That's basicly all you need. Since audio data is ones and zeros to the point of D/A (digital to analogue) converter on your amplifier, quality of soundcard isn't so important. of course you get better sounds out of dedicated gaming cards such as Creative Audigy since they have circuitry to add reverb and other effects to make your game sound more realistic.

Well, I realise that sound isn't such an important factor to most gamers others than me, but when you get used to decent sound... You simply CAN'T switch back to lousier system. In fact, you may want to purchase even better one ;)
Kilkenny
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Kilkenny »

I bought a 5.1 system a while ago, some games get more realistic by this, you can actually hear things behind you that happen behind you, and this goes for the front as well. For DVD movies it's even better.
Now I have expended it with 2 more speakers and 2 more subwoofers....to fill up my entire room. When adjusted right it sounds godlike :D
No more 2.1 for me :)
DisabledTrucker
Ricer
Ricer

Post by DisabledTrucker »

I have both a Logitech 680 5.1 set and a Klipsch 2.1 Pro set both are THX certified and I love both. The Klipsch have a deeper bass sound (IMO) and just sound better to me than the Logitech's do but I like my 5.1 logitechs as well and they really sound great with the game as well as while playing a movie from my DVD. IF your going with 2.1's I only reccommend getting the Klipsch Pro's because they are the only ones THX certified, as far as 5.1's the Logitech's will do.

Return to “The Hardware & Software”